10 replies to this topic

#1 SDJeff

SDJeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:45 AM

I am pretty sure I have seen this issue discussed somewhere on here, but I have not been able to find the thread. Question: What is the minimum clearance that I should between the bottom of my extended bed Hawk and the top of my cab? I just got my new F250 and I think I may have a clearance issue re the cab which is too bad b/c I think the Hawk doesn't need to be raised to fit in the bed I knew that older Ford 250 cabs were higher than other trucks but thought they had stopped that in 2010. Thank you.
2006 Hawk on 2011 Ford F-250 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser "Freedom begins between the ears." Edward Abbey

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:54 AM

What's your clearance now? Clearance should be dependent (as long camper fits on truck) on flexibility of truck frame, how well the camper is mounted, and if there is any flew in the camper. And how big of bumps you intend to endure (challenge?).I don't think the camper flexes, otherwise the aluminum sides would krinckle (word?)
David Bybee 2004.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel 2004 Tundra DC 1998 Alaskan 10' Cabover

#3 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:49 AM

I am pretty sure I have seen this issue discussed somewhere on here, but I have not been able to find the thread. Question: What is the minimum clearance that I should between the bottom of my extended bed Hawk and the top of my cab? I just got my new F250 and I think I may have a clearance issue re the cab which is too bad b/c I think the Hawk doesn't need to be raised to fit in the bed I knew that older Ford 250 cabs were higher than other trucks but thought they had stopped that in 2010. Thank you.

My 2008 Hawk was originally mounted on a 2000 Tundra. I had the camper built to standard specification not specifically for the Tundra.
There was quite a bit of room between the roof and the camper. There was approximately 6 inches of clearance between the cab and camper.

I then wanted to mount the camper on a 2010 Ford F250. The FWC factory had to build up the bottom of the camper in order for it to clear the cab on the Ford. It took about 2-3 inches of additional height. Call FWC and they can tell you exactly how much is needed.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,031 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:08 AM

I have little clearance on mine and its never been a problem. Depending on your flex I'm sure you can get away with under two inches.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:47 AM

What's your clearance now? Clearance should be dependent (as long camper fits on truck) on flexibility of truck frame, how well the camper is mounted, and if there is any flew in the camper. And how big of bumps you intend to endure (challenge?).I don't think the camper flexes, otherwise the aluminum sides would krinckle (word?)

The frame does flex...Ben showed me a picture of a ford pu while screaming up a hill. The side of the camper had a pretty good bow in it. Hence the flex frame design.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

On my dodge I only have 1.5" at the very peak of the arch in the top of the cab. I haven't had any issues with the camper on like that, only blunder I had was while loading the camper once I dropped the front too quick (the hydraulic jacks stuck for a second and moved a bunch quickly) so the cabover front edge came down on the top of my truck. Opps.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#7 SDJeff

SDJeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

I appreciate the replies. I was planning to mount the camper tomorrow and would have to wait until Monday to call ATC or 4WC. I was pleased that the truck bed is not that deep (only 20 inch on the rails). But, the cab height is approximately 45 inches from the bed. The FWC website says something about Ford's from 2009 on back having a 3 inch taller cab height than other makes, but I didn't think that applied after '09. I would probably prefer the lowest clearance that is safe for aerodynamics and looks, but don't want the camper to hit the cab when flexing on some Baja or Canyonlands road.

Do those of you who say 1.5 inches is enough do serious off-roading? I am not a rock crawler, but I do like to get remote on 4wd roads. Just checking b/c I assume the flex would be more pronounced in those situations.
2006 Hawk on 2011 Ford F-250 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser "Freedom begins between the ears." Edward Abbey

#8 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:38 AM

2009 on back having a 3 inch taller cab height than other makes, but I didn't think that applied after '09

I would wait until you can call the FWC factory. They've been installing campers for more than a few decades...you might as well leverage that knowledge.

Mine is a 2010 Ford F250.....and yes the cab was taller....and yes it needed 3 additional inches to clear the cab with enough room for flexing when driving off road. The last thing you want to do is install your camper without enough room for flexing and potentially damage your brand new truck. I've looked at the 2011's and there is no changes in the bed or cab.

Just my 0.02 worth......

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,031 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:29 AM

I appreciate the replies. I was planning to mount the camper tomorrow and would have to wait until Monday to call ATC or 4WC. I was pleased that the truck bed is not that deep (only 20 inch on the rails). But, the cab height is approximately 45 inches from the bed. The FWC website says something about Ford's from 2009 on back having a 3 inch taller cab height than other makes, but I didn't think that applied after '09. I would probably prefer the lowest clearance that is safe for aerodynamics and looks, but don't want the camper to hit the cab when flexing on some Baja or Canyonlands road.

Do those of you who say 1.5 inches is enough do serious off-roading? I am not a rock crawler, but I do like to get remote on 4wd roads. Just checking b/c I assume the flex would be more pronounced in those situations.

Serious? Not what my Jeep would call serious but certainly enough to induce some serious flexage. My dodge is pretty stiff though. May not be the same on another vehicle.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

Serious? Not what my Jeep would call serious but certainly enough to induce some serious flexage. My dodge is pretty stiff though. May not be the same on another vehicle.

Pretty much the same here, I've done a bunch of bombing around sage brush two tracks and going up/along/over the mountains these criss crossed and never had and issue with clearance yet.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users