• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lizz

lizz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:44 AM

Hi, I don't have a Four Wheel Camper yet, but my recent research let me to this product and site. I haven't found any pictures or video showing how the top lifts up. I would appreciate some input. Is it difficult?

Also, I saw on the website that the company has a showroom--is that worth visiting?

Thanks.

Liz:D

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:36 PM

Hi and Welcome Liz,
Both the FWC and ATC are pretty easy to lift. I either use my head (its not good for much else) or free hand and push up on the cross beam while setting the braces. And as far as the web sites go its always good to get as much info as you can to make the best choice.
Jay

#3 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

i can speak for the fwc, and as far as i know the atc pop up mechanism is the same...super easy to pop. you can do it yourself in less than a minute...i check one out in person before i bought mine but only because there was one in bozeman, where i live. the websites are great as jat stated otherwise put up a post and maybe someone on the forum is in your area and you could check one out. either way you decide to go fwc or atc they are both excellent and this forum is a great place to start. cheers

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#4 lizz

lizz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:53 PM

I am drawn to this type of camper because of the simplicity.

#5 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

You lift the rear and front seperately (and in that order) so the weight isn't much. It goes up in about a minute. It takes more time to walk around the truck and release the latches than to get inside and push it up. At least with mine, when I lower it I have to ensure the soft side walls get pulled inside the camper and don't hang outside.

I've gotten pretty good at it by lowering the front, then using my shoulders to lift the top a few inches and gently tug both sides of the camper at the same time. Repeat the proceedure with the rear. Then I inspect all four sides from the outside before I secure the latches (just in case part is hanging out a little and I have to lift the top a few inches to get the material inside). Lowering it may take 2 minutes total if I get the sides in the first time.

These are great campers. Very sturdy and light weight. I don't think another camper could stand up to the rigors of some of the 4x4 roads I take.

#6 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:50 PM

Welcome lizz.
The previous post covered the pop up procedure very well. We picked up our camper in August '06 and have really enjoyed it after 30 years of tent camping. The more you read the forum the more you will see how much other owners love these campers for strength, light weight, and simplicity.
Good luck and keep us posted.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:04 PM

I never bother to make sure its tucked in when I lower it. I just make sure the little bungies are hooked up and lower away.

It doesn't take much strength to lift the top. If its hard its probably because you let the door close. It creates a pretty good vacuum otherwise.

#8 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:42 AM

Welcome to the forum Lizz,
Definitely check out the showroom. Like many on this forum the wife and I checked out a lot of RV options. We looked at motor homes, trailers(love those Airstreams) and truck campers. We decided that a FWC was for us. The next decision was which one. After looking at the various models we picked the Granby as the one that most suited our needs. Next we went truck shopping. If possible chose your camper than buy a truck to haul it. No matter which forum you read nobody ever says they bought to much truck. I have a Dodge 2500HD, though a 1500 would haul one of these campers with minor suspension up grades.
Also as long as you are in Woodland, Sacramento is a short drive away and you can check out the ATC. Both are very good campers.

Cheers,
Mike

#9 lizz

lizz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:29 AM

For some reason I was thinking that the showroom was around LA. Wow, it's way up there.

Thanks for all the great tips.

Liz

#10 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

There is a showroom in LA. Look on the FWC website and you should be able to get the address.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users