13 replies to this topic

#1 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

All this talk about flatbeds and building campers has really increased my interest for something different. Not a good thing for the old bank account!!!

I am not claiming this idea as my own as I have seen them before. But something like a Hawk and the way they tie down to the truck bed seems like a perfect candidate for a service body. More storage, even on the outside, is more important to me than interior space. Getting stuff out of the way, chainsaw, tools, gas cans, generator, etc would be the ultimate for me.

I guess the big problems would be the measurements and probably some very long jack extensions.

Any info/advice you may have would be much appreciated. Thanks
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

Regaining all the dead space in a normal truck body panel is very tempting when you look at it.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:49 AM

(checking back in after being gone for a few months)

The original Earthroamer was a Four-Wheel Camper on a service bed. Here is a write up the owner did, with some pros and cons.

http://www.earthroam...ed_utility.html

I have seen one or two in my travels and they seem higher then a regular bed (might be because the sides are generally higher then a regular bed), but might be my imagination. I still lean towards a flatbed with boxes, but it would be very tempting if the right used service body came along for the right price.

-Vic

Attached Thumbnails

• 35mm_228.jpg

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#4 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

If someone is seriously considering a service body allow me to offer the following;

I have no affiliation with these companies other than using their products over the years:

http://www.rki-us.com/default.aspx

http://readingbody.com/

http://www.omahastd.com/

http://www.astoriainc.com/index.shtml

There are some industry standards but they make various cab to axle lengths as well as various box heights, widths and configurations as well as bed widths and deck heights. For example the Hawk on the white Ford circulating the Forum appears to be on a 14.5"w x 24"h box sized bed, (My guess!). Aluminum bodies are more available now than years past. Still expensive, (Like a new steel one isn't!!) but more available. The last link is for a fiberglass manufacturer. In short the possibilities in the service body realm are more varied than may be obvious. I will mention the above manufacturers build for rough industries, as such their steel offerings are heavy...

As our original poster is located in Boise, Utility Trailer & Truck equipment had some "stock" bodies in their yard the last time I was by if you wanted to inspect one up close...

http://www.utilityboise.com/

Hope this info is of value to some one....

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#5 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

Thanks all for the great info!!

I found a post by Stan@FWC on Expedition Portal that put a damper on this. From 2008 he writes that the service body will have to be custom built to fit the FWC. Cost $7000. :o
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#6 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

Unfortunately, when I talked to Stan before, FWC didn't seem to have any interest in doing custom or modified campers either. The main problem would be the intermediate step above the wheel wells, below the bed rails. With that, the couch wouldn't sit low and everything would be off. On the other hand, it seems like Northstars have straight knee-walls without that step.

#7 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:02 AM

Anyone know the story behind this rig? Would this be a custom FWC build? I saw it in Carmel last year.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4499.JPG

#8 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:05 AM

Carmel last year. Custom or...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4507.JPG

#9 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:23 AM

Here is one I met at Big Bend earlier this week. Guy from Lubbock, TX, directed him to this site so if you are out there...

His was a 97 or 98 F250 and he had the Grandby built for it back then. The utility boxes on this model are shorter than most (not as tall) which I guess is more difficult to find. It had great storage space for all sorts of gear. Also had a great/sturdy rack on the back that also carried his dual sport bike.
Posted Image
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#10 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:23 AM

Here is one I met at Big Bend earlier this week. Guy from Lubbock, TX, directed him to this site so if you are out there...

His was a 97 or 98 F250 and he had the Grandby built for it back then. The utility boxes on this model are shorter than most (not as tall) which I guess is more difficult to find. It had great storage space for all sorts of gear. Also had a great/sturdy rack on the back that also carried his dual sport bike.
Posted Image

Met the same guy at Saline a year or two ago. I also directed him to the site.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1294_800x600.JPG

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users