Photo
- - - - -

DV, Southern Utah, or ? Mid May to mid June?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 busboy66

busboy66

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

Looking for some WTWers who would like to meet up mid May to mid June.
We are planning a trip from our home in Victoria, BC to see some sights in DV, Southern Utah, and Phoenix and Tucson areas.
Although we are relatively new to the FWC experience, we have traveled the SW many times by vehicle. Normally we have gone in September, but this year we would like to see the desert when it is in bloom at least partially.

Normally we have stayed on the beaten path (National Parks, state parks, BLMs etc) because we are not comfortable yet going off on our own.

So, if you have any plans during that time for any or all of the areas mentioned, let me know. It would be great to meet some of you folks and perhaps find something off the beaten path with you.

We have only traveled through DV, but would like to stay there for at least a few days. We want to see the Racetrack, Scotty's Castle, and the Borax Museum.

Comments/criticisms welcome. Suggestions for good locations and interesting sites also encouraged. :-)

Thanks,

Tom

#2 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

I will likely be making some trips to the east side of the Sierra during that time period.

Let's chat about it as the dates get closer.

Cort

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:16 PM

I'm not a DV expert at all...but I do like to follow weather, and I know that by mid-June in DV it's usually already somewhere between "hot" and "damn hot" (in the low-elevation areas, I mean). So...maybe hit there first.
In temperature ranking: DV > Phoenix > Tuscon > Southern Utah (at most elevations) >>>Victoria, BC Posted Image

On the other hand, I know that there are Europeans -- or maybe just Germans -- who deliberately visit DV in mid-summer (when highs can be >120° at Furnace Creek) just so they can get the "full experience". So maybe the temps aren't an issue for everyone.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#4 busboy66

busboy66

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

Cool, thanks Cort

#5 busboy66

busboy66

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

MarkBC,

Ya, I realize the temps will be pushing it. When we were there in Sept 07 it was about 104. Last Sept we camped in Moab area and it was 100 + ish.
I am definitely NOT European, and not a big fan of sweltering.
Hot I can take, as long as it cools in the evening.

#6 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:48 PM

As Mark says, it could be quite hot in Death Valley that time of year. After you fry in Furnace Creek, head to higher country in Butte Valley or even higher to Mohogany Flat.

Euros often find ways to die in the Death Valley heat!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#7 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:51 PM

Great territory but too hot for me by then :D . I may be heading to Dawson NWT or beyond. If it gets too hot, and it seems you know what you are in for, just head up. Hwy 12 in Utah is great and take the switchbacks, I think out of Boulder to Notam Road. Go South and take the ferry or North for Capital Reef.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#8 busboy66

busboy66

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

Barko,

Dawson City, Yukon? If so, check out Midnight Dome. Great views of the town and all the old mining tailings.

We did Hwy. 12 last Sept. What a great trip. We ended up doing the Grand Circle in Utah, Vegas area, and even Woodland to check out new FWC developments.

So, the consensus appears to be that it may be too hot in May/June for DV. We are pretty flexible with our timing, so maybe late April early May. I'll have to run that by the boss.

Great territory but too hot for me by then :D . I may be heading to Dawson NWT or beyond. If it gets too hot, and it seems you know what you are in for, just head up. Hwy 12 in Utah is great and take the switchbacks, I think out of Boulder to Notam Road. Go South and take the ferry or North for Capital Reef.

#9 busboy66

busboy66

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

Thanks Stew,

I'll definitely check those spots out.

As Mark says, it could be quite hot in Death Valley that time of year. After you fry in Furnace Creek, head to higher country in Butte Valley or even higher to Mohogany Flat.

Euros often find ways to die in the Death Valley heat!

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

We visited Escalante UT last May and were early for the bloom. It was a cold spring. If you do swing thru Hwy 12, I recommend camping on Old Sheffield Rd. We wish we had our FWC when we visited there!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users