• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:27 AM

While down in Carlsbad for a superbowl party we went to the Stone brewery for a pre party tune up. That's quite a place - interesting stone building, good food and 31 beers on tap. In addition to their bastards I got to try the highly touted Pliny The Elder.

Attached Files

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:19 AM

Lucky man! That oaked AB is great stuff!

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

Not to be a total dick but Pliny is made by Russian River, not Stone. They both make good stuff though. I concur to oak AB is tasty, did they have any aged RIS there?

Also anyone else been collecting the vertical epic series bottles? (They start by releasing a beer 1/1/01, then 2/2/02, etc.) They idea is buy two, drink one now and save one for later. After 12/12/12 do a vertical sampling of all them. I started saving them in 5/5/05, but 9/9/09 slipped my mind. So as long as I grab the next two, after 12/12/12 I'll have 7 bombers to do a vertical tasting on. Should be all smiles at the end of that. :D

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

Dick,

Sounds like a great day. The Stone brews can be high octane. That must have been quite a pre party tune up. I'm surprised they were able to get some Pliney way down there. It is hard to keep it stocked up here. Probably some inter-brewery trade dealing going on. Based on Beer Advocate's website and my own preferences, Stone and Russian River are by far making the best beers out there.

I do like the Oaked AB, but recently tasted a few I haven't had before. The Self Rightous Ale was a little too heavy for me, but I really enjoyed the Lucky Bastard. It is a blend of AB, Oaked AB, and Double B. DD, you should be able to get all of those in your neighborhood. If not, let me know and I'll get a supply plus some Pliney for the next gathering.

Pods, I once bought a bunch of Sierra Nevada's winter brew Celebration Ale with the intention of making it last all year. By midsummer it was turning nasty. So I'm not sure how well beer ages and can be kept for a vertical tasting. Is stone doing something special with these brews to make them last?

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

Not to be a total dick but Pliny is made by Russian River, not Stone. They both make good stuff though. I concur to oak AB is tasty, did they have any aged RIS there?

I'm not sure he was saying that Pliny was made by Stone, but rather they had it on tap at their pub.

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

Stone and Russian River are by far making the best beers out there.

<snip>

Pods, I once bought a bunch of Sierra Nevada's winter brew Celebration Ale with the intention of making it last all year. By midsummer it was turning nasty. So I'm not sure how well beer ages and can be kept for a vertical tasting. Is stone doing something special with these brews to make them last?

Yeah the sit fairly high in my regards along with a few others (I definitely enjoy racer 5 IPA too for anyone that hasn't tried that one). Russian river had a soured/barrel aged Belgian named consecration (or something like that) when I was there a year or so back, it was freaking awesome. I recently saw some bottled at a specialty store but it was $13 for a 12oz bottle, too steep.

Different brews age better than others. Personally I'll take a couple year old Russian Imperial Stout over a fresh one most any day. Usually this lends it self better to stronger and higher alcohol beers. Same was that wine needs some aging. One would hope they are taking that into account with the vertical epic serious, we shall see.

Ideally cellar temperatures help but since I don't have one they are just in my garage in a cardboard box shaded from the sun. (sunlight, heat, and oxygen are the major degradors of beer).

I'm not sure he was saying that Pliny was made by Stone, but rather they had it on tap at their pub.

My misinterpretation. :)

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#7 John C

John C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

You should have let some of us SD members known you were coming down, we could have met there, it's a great place (doesnt look much like a brewery though) I am very (perhaps too) fond of their products. After all, they named their best beer after me! (sic) :)

#8 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:48 PM

Yeah, the Racer 5 is pretty tasty as well.

Russian river had a soured/barrel aged Belgian named consecration (or something like that) when I was there a year or so back, it was freaking awesome.

They have a number of Belgian style beers that are highly thought of and cleverly named (IMO). I brought a few to the first Death Valley Rally but that style just doesn't work for me.

BTW, After the brewed only once a year Pliney the Younger sold out in 10 hours last year, they decided not to sell growlers of it this year. Because of that, it is still available currently on tap.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

I'm suddenly very thirsty for some reason. How's the camping at Stone?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:54 AM

They have a number of Belgian style beers that are highly thought of and cleverly named (IMO). I brought a few to the first Death Valley Rally but that style just doesn't work for me.

Belgians can cover a wide spectrum, usually there are some in there that most people like. That said the soured/barrel aged consecration (if I'm recalling correctly) was awesome and didn't really have the funky Belgian yeast notes you might not care for as opposed to the notes from the souring bacteria (sounds bad but its not, its think how bacteria does good work in yogurt).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users