Photo

FWC/ATC vs Panther Truck Camper...any advice?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 whybother

whybother

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

Anybody have any input/experience with Panther Truck Campers? (http://panthercampers.com/Panther.html)? I have been researching truck campers and searching the internet for units for sale. I am leaning towards either an ATC Bobcat or FWC Eagle, preferably the shell model.
But, I just stumbled upon Panther Truck Campers, and can't find much user feedback. They are very light, and have an interesting design: not as much headroom as a FWC/ATC when open, nor does it have a cab-over bed (cab-over storage instead). But there seems to be great storage room, there wouldn't be any issues with fabric wearing out/ripping/leaking, and it doesn't need to be popped up, which is nice for the occasional urban/stealth bivy. I also like that they offer the camper with very little creature comforts. I'm curious if anyone has any input? How would the aerodynamics/effect on gas mileage/handling compare to ATC/FWC?
I have a 2004 Tacoma xtra-cab, V6, so the Panther model I would be looking at would be the Cascade Compact. Weight starts at 622 lbs.

Thanks for the advice!

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:14 PM

I hadn't heard of the Panther campers until now. This unit is interesting:

Posted Image

They don't mention anything about the frame construction so it must be wood. If that's true, you aren't going to have the same long life and great resale value you get with the FWC/ATC campers.

#3 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

Looking at the Australian Connection, the frame is wood. You can see the assembly process in one photo. Nice shape for a hard side, though.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#4 whybother

whybother

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for the reply Dirty Dog. I do think that they use a wood frame in the Panthers; I'm not sure if this would have a big effect on longevity or not. I do not need the camper to be uber-off road worthy. I am a mountain guide and most of my four-wheeling is just getting to climbing/skiing areas, so nothing too rugged. They shell model FWC/ATC interest me, as does this Panther design. I like the simplicity...somewhere to sleep/change/store and dry gear/ cook simple meals/etc... I currently spend lots of nights in my truck w/ normal topper, but I need to upgrade. I do not think I would want a fridge, stove, furnace, etc... because the weight and space savings are significant.

#5 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Their site pretty choppy for anyone else?

I never noticed they had a camper line before but when someone pointed out they were carry the SMEV stoves in their parts store I noticed they had good pricing on the atwood 8012 heater, kaper led lights fixtures, etc. so I'll probably source a few items from them.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#6 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:52 AM

Bummer there is no pass-thru window on the cascade to see out the back door window while driving. Cool layout though.

And does that cabover berth seem MIGHTY small, or is it me?

#7 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

I don't know anything about them either, but I stumbled upon this Panther camper while searching the net one night.

http://www.ourpanthercamper.com/

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

The price is certainly right on those Panthers.

#9 whybother

whybother

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:01 AM

Bummer there is no pass-thru window on the cascade to see out the back door window while driving. Cool layout though.

And does that cabover berth seem MIGHTY small, or is it me?

The cabover is storage space, not a bed.

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:19 AM

Its still tall. I like being able to hit the drive throughs.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users