13 replies to this topic

#1 whizbang

whizbang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:38 AM

The boss finally gave me a week off. Just in time...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
All the trout were released unharmed.
1994 Jayco Sportster on a 2010 F-150 Supercab

#2 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Locationwa state

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:56 AM

always good when you can get away for camping and fishing :) where was you at? by pics it looks more like central washington,I'm north of Spokane, and we got alot more trees and forest,in the eastern part. LOL
Ben 96 f350 4x4 86 keystone

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:18 AM

I almost want to say that looks like old vantage highway launch into the Columbia?

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#4 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:59 AM

Ya, looks like Vantage.

How did you attach your pontoon to your camper? Very interested in this.

Nice setup by the way.

Home Skillet

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#5 whizbang

whizbang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

The pics are Dry Falls, Rocky Ford, and Lake Lenore (Ephrata/Soap Lake area).

I mounted the pontoon boat on a bike rack that fits into the rear hitch. My bike rack tips down. The second photo shows the rack tipped down so I have enough room to attach the steps.

I also use a small hitch extension so I can open the door and get it while the rack is in the up position.

Next trip I am going to try a "U" boat style float tube. Between the difference in the boats weights, the oars, and the bike rack, I expect to shave just over 100#. My F150 is loaded right to (or possibly over) the max.

Lake Lenore was a bust by the way --- too murky and too windy.
1994 Jayco Sportster on a 2010 F-150 Supercab

#6 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

Well, those pic's got me all worked up to get out and do some fly fishing, so.....I am hooking the drift boat up mid day to go float the lower Gunnison River over the next few days. Also planning on hiking into the Gunnison Gorge area to try for some early season Rainbows. The Gorge is a spectacular area, pristine and certainly not a lot of folks this time of year. It takes a little effort to get into the area, so not too many folks down there outside the Salmonfly hatch in June.

Good Camping!

Paul
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#7 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:03 PM

Question for Mr. Bang:

Are you going to a "U Boat" style to cut weight only or is there a performance issue with your pontoon boat you're trying to escape?

The reason I ask is I have a U Boat and am considering a pontoon setup. I have little experience with the pontoons, thus my interest in your switching.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#8 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:20 PM

And I am considering buying a lightweight Float tube. LuckyDan, why are you considering switching to a pontoon? I have no experience with either,

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#9 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Locationwa state

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:54 AM

whizbang, thought that area looked fimilar, we like to head to steamboat rock state park in the off season and fish banks lake.
Ben 96 f350 4x4 86 keystone

#10 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

Highz: I'm looking more to add than switch. If your a "pack in" sort of fisher person and/or the water bodies you're targeting are modest the tube style platforms are a good way to go. In my "BC"(Before Children)days I used a belly boat or round style tube I backpacked all over with good results. I now have a couple Caddis round tubes and a Creek Co. U Boat. An interesting thing about about one's offspring also being one's fishing partners. Once they catch on to the activity they expect to be outfitted as well as you are. The reason I went to a U Boat is #1 it was on sale #2 it's a lot easier to get into, out of, sit in and #3 it seems to me easier to maneuver and hold in one spot but that may just be me. My oldest, (15yo) partner can drive a round tube around like a sports car. I should mention that U Boat, while Creek Co.'s model name, it's also generic for that style of tube. A final advantage of a float tube is they are easier to haul around in general.

I'm looking to add a pontoon setup to the flotilla to do some river fishing. Here in Eastern Ore. there are a some places I fish that the current is more than I want to take on in a tube, but people do on pontoons all the time. That and while I can both fly and spinner cast fine from my tube, some pontoons have a platform one can stand up and cast from. I think this should make sight casting to fish mucho easier.

In closing I can say that I've caught more fish because of the access tubing has given me. I don't anticipate that changing with a pontoon setup. If your considering a purchase both camps have a cult like following, thus as usual the internet has loads of info and good luck with your decision.

Don't know what I'll do if I get a pontoon and the partners decide they need to upgrade also. Tell them find a job I guess....

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users