• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

Since moving on from our truck camper we have gone back to our first choice for travel,having started with vw vans back in the "day" on to step vans,ford vans,astro vans,water boxer vw vans we now wandering in a ford van which we converted to a pop top to make it simple for camping,of course we did all the normal stuff.
solar,dual batts,engle frig,sink, heater,swivel passenger seat,replaced fixed windows with pop out windows.
ford has small v/8 locking diff,gets us every where we need to go.
most of the time we carry a yamaha tw200 dual sport to explore once we set up camp.
as we drive slooow we also average 18 mpg,not great but as good as we got with the toyota truck.
so if you see us out and about say hi we always have time to visit!
drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,LQhikers.

Attached Files

#2 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

les, good to hear from you again. Great lookin' van conversion, nice work.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:32 PM

les, good to hear from you again. Great lookin' van conversion, nice work.

x2

Hope this new section gets you chiming in more. Always enjoyed your posts as they showed good ideas and shared good advice.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

Hope to see you on the road sometime. I also like using the bike for further exploration. All that van needs is a diesel :lol:
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:15 PM

Les, great to see you back...always the innovator. Will keep our eyes peeled.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#6 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

Les we're all happy to hear from you. I wish you'd stop in more often we miss your input. The van looks great. Are you still swimming? One of these days I'll stop by for a welding lesson. I'm thinking of getting a wire welder.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#7 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

Thanks fellow wanders,never really left just,not really into spending much time in front of a computer,would rather be outside or into a good book!
Barkoi1: don't need a diesel,do not tow anything heavy,not in a hurry,ford 150 is CHEAP for maintenance, cheap for insurance,same size as diesel,except lighter.much cheaper to buy,etc.
and as far as offroad travel the places we go 90% of the time you do not need 4x4.a lot of people today think you need 4x4 to go places like Saline Valley as good as the roads are most of the time you can drive your car in.
don't get me wrong i have used, abused, and loved my past 4x4s.also as someone who likes to build things this van is but another toy!
Jay:i'm back just about 100% took two years,swimming is the reason never gave up on that!did have to give up the kayak
just could not paddle worth a darn!I do not know how any one can live without a wire welder!
Sunman: always look for your Baja posts as someone who started going to Baja with my dad when i was 8 years old i feel sorry for anyone who has never enjoyed what Baja is.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,Lqhikers

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

Thanks fellow wanders,never really left just,not really into spending much time in front of a computer,would rather be outside or into a good book!
Barkoi1: don't need a diesel,do not tow anything heavy,not in a hurry,ford 150 is CHEAP for maintenance, cheap for insurance,same size as diesel,except lighter.much cheaper to buy,etc.
and as far as offroad travel the places we go 90% of the time you do not need 4x4.a lot of people today think you need 4x4 to go places like Saline Valley as good as the roads are most of the time you can drive your car in.
don't get me wrong i have used, abused, and loved my past 4x4s.also as someone who likes to build things this van is but another toy!
Jay:i'm back just about 100% took two years,swimming is the reason never gave up on that!did have to give up the kayak
just could not paddle worth a darn!I do not know how any one can live without a wire welder!
Sunman: always look for your Baja posts as someone who started going to Baja with my dad when i was 8 years old i feel sorry for anyone who has never enjoyed what Baja is.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,Lqhikers

Les great to hear you again.I have used or modified some of your ideas.Keep them coming.The van looks great.I will have to share this with a friend who is thinking about doing a van camper.

Thanks again

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

Reminds me of my first camper which was a Chevy van. I like the pop top and rear screens. Good to see your your posts and recent innovations.
RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#10 dsw4x4

dsw4x4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDrake, CO

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:13 PM

Iqhikers,
I love your home made poptop it is very cool I have seen it before other places. Hopefully we can draw more do it your selfers to the forum for everyone to gain and share the knowledge.
Derek
www.coloradocampervan.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users