Photo
- - - - -

Patching the camper after fridge removal?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

What have you guys/gals done after you pulled out the factory fridge? I have 2 big holes in the outside and a mess on the inside. I figure I will build a new empty box/space/shelf for my edgestar on the inside and trim it all out so it looks nice and works.

On the outside I am not quite sure which direction to go - put the access panels back on and just seal them up? Find the correct aluminum siding and rivit in on and try and make clean patches? leave the black trash bag I have duct taped to the outside in place and just run it :D

Also - will I kick my self if I don't build slides for the cooler so I can pull it out in the walkway?
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#2 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

If it were mine, I'd probably install a couple of those locking hatch/access doors in place of the vents and be done with it.

#3 griz

griz

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationCampbell River, B.C.

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

I have always been the one to think about the resell. Custom jobs are great but might not be for the buyer. The outside get the panels (vent) and cover the inside of door for wx. Inside camper, can't go wrong with a shelf or two. And u might change your mind about a fridge down the road, and a little work its up an running.........
"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

Off the get go I'd be inclined to thermally seal off the holes with foam board caulked into place, then put the vents back on the exterior to shed the weather and keep the cosmetics up.

In the long haul you could think about replacing the siding on that side, I don't think a patch job would look that good.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#5 nwcoop

nwcoop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:26 AM

common in the marine applications we would use white starboard/UHMW cut to fit with routered edges. It looks good and seals well if you stainless self tapping screws and a good sealant (LifeSeal by Boatlife). Just a thought....

#6 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

I took out the fridge and the furnace that was below it. Added some reflectix and some fiberglass insulation, put in a couple shelves on drawer slides and cover it with a net while traveling. Mt Wave 3 actually sits on the floor in that space and swing out for use. Here is a pic from the outside and the furnace cover, looks the same on the fridge vents.
Posted Image
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#7 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

I am in the process of swaping out my 3-way for a AC/DC model at the moment and I am wondering why is it no longer ok to use outside ventilation with the existing vents, seems kind of odd to cut a vent hole on the inside when there is perfectly good air out.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#8 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

I took out the fridge and the furnace that was below it. Added some reflectix and some fiberglass insulation, put in a couple shelves on drawer slides and cover it with a net while traveling. Mt Wave 3 actually sits on the floor in that space and swing out for use. Here is a pic from the outside and the furnace cover, looks the same on the fridge vents.
Posted Image

I ended up doing the same thing as the picture - put the vents back on and sealed the crap out of it with reflectix, aluminum tape and some silicone caulking for good measure. I then built a new back wall out of 1/4" birch plywood to cover up the wires and propane line going to the heater. Not the best looking solution but the easiest - and my camper is far from the best looking camper around.

My 12v cooler style fridge/freezer does not need to be vented to the outside so this worked for me.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#9 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:26 AM

My 12v cooler style fridge/freezer does not need to be vented to the outside so this worked for me.

Mine does not either but as it does needed to be vented / cooled, I am wondering if anyone is some how using the existing outdoor vents instead of patching outside and butching the inside in changing the path of airflow...

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#10 M1010 Mike

M1010 Mike

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:31 AM

Mine does not either but as it does needed to be vented / cooled, I am wondering if anyone is some how using the existing outdoor vents instead of patching outside and butching the inside in changing the path of airflow...

I'm curious too, why can't you use the outside vents for ventilation? I just picked up my Nova Cool R2600 DC fridge to replace the 3-way Norcold. My plan was to use the outside vents. I was going to be a "divider" between the upper and lower vents to help force airflow.

Curious on thoughts too?

1984 Chevy M1010 Ambulance - Desert Turtle Build Thread
Sold: Build Thread on American Adventurist Dodge Ram and FWC Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users