16 replies to this topic

#1 mtnras

mtnras

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

looking for creative ideas on how to attach whitewater kayaks to my grandby. i have the factory racks installed and would love to spare the expense of the yakima/thule racks. have a hitch mounted bike rack that i've thought about modifying...

ideas or pictures are appreciated!

mark

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

http://www.wanderthe...p?showtopic=844

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#3 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

Here are a few sample pictures.

Do you have the Aluminum (Boat / Luggage) Roof Racks that we make here at FWC ?

I think you can buy Yakima or Thule attachments and they will actually clamp to the square aluminum tubing.

(example: hully rollers or kayak saddles)

Or you could just wrap a piece of black foam pipe insulation around the FWC aluminum roof rack tube and strap them down that way.

Hope this helps.

:)

Attached Thumbnails

• kayak sadals on boat luggage rack 1.jpg
  • kayak sadals on boat luggage rack 2.jpg
  • Kayaks & Canoes 33.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#4 mtnras

mtnras

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:26 PM

thanks for the pics. unfortunately our whitewater kayaks are not long enough to span the distance between the two factory racks w/o sitting on the roof directly (probably not a good idea). will likely have to install another row of rack between the two factory racks.

m

#5 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

I recall someone mounting them crosswise over the cab of their truck in front of the camper. That would probably require you have a standard overhead extension on the camper and a double cab truck to have room for that. Not sure what your set-up is but since white water kayaks are so short, that may be an option.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#6 bdold

bdold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:03 AM

I purchased a hitch hauler. My Diesel 75 fits on it and the door opens. My play boat fits on the luggage rack sideways. I had FWC put 2 extra racks on top but, I find getting the boats up there to be pain.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP2494.JPG

2003 Dodge CTD- 2010 Grandby

2011 GSP, turbo charged hunting machine

#7 mtnras

mtnras

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

I purchased a hitch hauler. My Diesel 75 fits on it and the door opens. My play boat fits on the luggage rack sideways. I had FWC put 2 extra racks on top but, I find getting the boats up there to be pain.

will have to look at these hitch haulers... was thinking of trying to mount it to my bike hitch hauler but looked kinda shady. would love to see a pic of the hauler w/ and w/o the kayaks if you could? think you could get two boats on the hitch hauler?

thanks,

mark

#8 RobNE

RobNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

looking for creative ideas on how to attach whitewater kayaks to my grandby. i have the factory racks installed and would love to spare the expense of the yakima/thule racks. have a hitch mounted bike rack that i've thought about modifying...

ideas or pictures are appreciated!

mark

I hate the idea of putting stuff on my roof (...i've reserved the rear hitch for my camper entry point/step so thats out), but its hard to imagine a better place. I have a wheel step and it makes taking my whitewater boats on/off the roof much easier (and it was cheap). Two boats on the roof and it gets hard to lift though. I have Yakima bars/tracks, btw.

I've thought of putting bars/braces on the "side" of the camper, but wonder what it would be like losing an extra 1ft or so of visibility? I made a hitch for the front of my truck with the intent of having extra space for the shuttle, but doubt it would be practical for carrying boats over longer distances (its high mounted so air flow, etc).

interested to hear if you get any good suggestions.

Rob
Rob: 2008 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB - 2002 Eagle - Ride-Rite Airbags

#9 bike4mee

bike4mee

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDurango Colorado

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

Try yakama side mounts. There is a lot of aluminum to drill into around the entire rim.

Attached Thumbnails

• kestral rack for web.JPG

#10 larboy

larboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:35 AM

Try yakama side mounts. There is a lot of aluminum to drill into around the entire rim.

I'm trying to find out how to fork mount bikes on the back like you have pictured. Can you provide me with details? How do you attach the fork mount? How is the rear wheel supported and attached? Does this method cause strain on the headset or fork?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users