• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Chel

Chel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:19 AM

So far I have stuck with my plan to avoid getting stuck. What gear do you carry to get un-stuck? I have some experience with climbing and rafting gear but my Tundra and Hawk are a bit heavier. Tow straps,come alongs and winches are new to me.
2008 Tundra Doublecab SR5 TRD, 5.7 V8, helper springs; 2008 FWC Hawk; Yakima Tracks/ Control Towers roof rack, Yakima Swingdaddy hitch rack; Champion Covers bicycle cover.

#2 MakersTeleMark

MakersTeleMark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:47 AM

Well, to be honest, tow straps, come-along's, and winches are a good start. Or, begin with some lockers, a partner, and some prudence to avoid it. I don't see many folks really pushing the capabilities of their trucks (even stock rigs) with campers on them. Something about agitating the beer in the back keeps them away from it. My philosophy with my truck is a bit different though. I never even think of the camper on it.

Chains are really helpful too, depending on where you live. Get a mentor, do some tandem trail rides working up and you'll feel more confident.

The brain, and a lot of times, some well placed wheel location and throttle, will help a lot. Breakage it to be avoided, so know your rig's, and your location's limits.

Sorry not to be more helpful, but it's one of those things you just learn over time. Hard to just read about and apply. Experience, and the SNAFU's that you encounter, teach a lot, that the internet can't.

#3 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

I think it all depends on what you plan on getting stuck in. Sand, mud, rocks or over the edge of a cliff will require different techniques.
I carry a strap and have solid attach points on the vehicles. Since I usually don't travel alone in the boonies this seems to work. If I did more solo travel I would consider a winch.
A shovel and high lift jack can also be helpful. The high lift can be used as a comealong in an emergency.
I also consider an air compressor a necessity. It's amazing how airing down the tires can get you unstuck or keep you from getting stuck. Many people won't air down because they don't have a way to reinflate.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

I think it all depends on what you plan on getting stuck in.

<snip>

It's amazing how airing down the tires can get you unstuck or keep you from getting stuck. Many people won't air down because they don't have a way to reinflate.

Again the airing down depends on what you are planning on getting stuck in. ;)

Here are my priorities:
1) Front and rear to point - Nothing more irritating than getting asked to pull someone out of the mud, etc. only to find out they don't have a damn tow point. If really needed you can wrap a strap around a frame member, etc. but it puts a lot of unneeded wear & tear on the strap and when you're asking someone else to use their strap it is just insult to injury. Plus it could bend the bumper on the vehicle getting their frame rail wrapped around.
2) Now that you've got two points get a good two strap - not a 1.5" or 2" dinky strap, get a good 3" 30' long strap. That will do a lot to reach out of a tight spot assuming you are with someone or a vehicle comes by. [A clevis or two that fit the strap to a tow point w/o having to hitch it onto the two point are sure nice too].

The two above items will treat you pretty well assuming you're not way off the beaten path and don't mind being humble in asking for a tug. Also they from a foundation point for many recovery situations so you'll not go wrong by having them. However if you've got cash available and/or you're planning to be solo in the boonies then you might want to start thinking high lift jack, winch, air compressor, etc.

Winches: They sure are nice but I'd wager a larger percentage of winches out there rarely (if ever) actually get used. That is an expensive piece of gear to buy if you're not really going into situations that needed it.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#5 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:58 PM

Practice, practice, practice.... And a buddy vehicle....

That is the only way you will learn in my opinion. And I don't really mean practice getting stuck, but practicing not getting stuck. The more time you spend behind the wheel in various conditions the more you will know about your truck - when to stomp it and drive like a wild man, when to stop and go with low range, when to stop, backup, turn around and find a different route...

As for recovery gear - all I carry in my truck with the camper is good strap and a clevis. If I get stuck worse than that I am driving the wrong vehicle. (I do carry tire chains in the winter or when I might encounter snow, but I have used them in mud before when I was really, really stuck)

Now in my offroad truck I carry enough recovery gear for just about anything - including a winch. But again it comes down to practice and knowing how to use the equipment you have. If you don't know how to safley use your winch it isn't worth much.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#6 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

Pods8 is correct, a winch probably won't get used much.

I have put winches on all of the vehicles I've owned for the last 35 years. When I was younger....I would wear out the winch cable every couple of years and have to replace it. After a lot of use the cable gets a lot of little broken strands and they can cut your hands if you are not careful.

The older I get the less the winch gets used. My 2000 Tundra's winch has only been used 6 or 7 times for the life of the truck. My 2010 Ford's winch has only been used once...and probably wouldn't have been needed if I had better tires (the OE tires suck).

You have to consider how much risk you have of getting stuck. If I want to get from point A to point B real bad....and I'm willing to risk getting stuck doing so (often the case when I'm hunting)....then the odds of getting stuck are great. If I am just roaming and find a bad spot....there is really no pressing reason to drive into it....then turning around is the best option.

Of course some times you drive into an area without any problems.....then the mother of all storms comes in and turns the trail to goo.

Sometimes however..... I'm just driving along and the trail doesn't look all that bad....but for some reason or other I end up getting stuck anyway. An example would be some soft mud under a dried top crust. The trail doesn't look bad at all then all of a sudden you find your truck sunk up to the frame in mud. At times like those....it's real nice to have a winch. My trips are almost always done solo with no help available from folks close by.

If you always travel in a group, then by all means a big tow strap will be about all you'll need....as you have other folks ready and willing to help you. If you travel alone....you have to really consider getting a winch to help you out of bad situations. If you are in a remote area...it could be days before someone comes by. And even if someone comes by they may not be willing to risk damaging their own vehicle trying to get a stranger unstuck.

If you travel remote areas often you might really consider getting a winch....even if you don't use it that often. If you do buy a winch take the time to learn how to use it before you need it.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:33 AM

I carry a strap, shovel and thats about it. Not all I want but a winch is not yet in the budget. I'd add "don't be in a hurry, never hurts to get out and look the trail over before you attempt it, use a spotter if you have one".

I try and be pretty conservative with the truck. Its big and heavy. It can't and won't go where my Jeep goes. Also doesn't have lockers and a winch :)

Learn to read the terrain. If you can pick a good line you'll go far. I've seen people in highly modified vehicles that just can't drive where a guy who knows how to pick a line can make it through in 2wd.

Having a few mentors helps. My first time out in my Jeep I was sandwiched between two experienced guys and I just watched what they did and did the same thing.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Chel

Chel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:55 AM

Good stuff, thanks!
Long ago a good northwoods man told me skills were more important than things. Solid advice and yet a few things can make a big difference. I think my next purchase is a serious tow strap. 3" x 30' sounds right? Any other advice on that item? Factory anchor points on the 2008 Tundra seem adequate, comments? I need to buy chains just so I will never need them.
The stock BFG tires did not hold up to my use; Idaho/Oregon/Nevada backcountry roads ate 'em up. In my first 12k 3 out of 4 tires flatted off the oil, one twice. I upgraded to Hankook Dynapro AT'm, way better traction and flat free on my 2nd 12k including the Magruder Corridor, White Rim Road and San Rafael Swell. I have had good luck with my Sears Craftsman 12V compressor so airing up and down is an option; it takes awhile but it is simple, small and light.
2008 Tundra Doublecab SR5 TRD, 5.7 V8, helper springs; 2008 FWC Hawk; Yakima Tracks/ Control Towers roof rack, Yakima Swingdaddy hitch rack; Champion Covers bicycle cover.

#9 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

In addition to the other basic stuff, mentioned, also carry a piece (or two) of 18 inch-square 3/4 inch plywood for support in soft conditions.

#10 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:28 PM

I'm not a fan of the huge 30' straps - I prefer 20' straps. With the 30 footers I always ended up doubling them back over on themselves.

Whatever you get - get a matched size clevis that fits your strap and your tow points.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users