#1 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

[Rant Alert]
I have always chafed at the requirement to reserve campsites, backpack permits and the like.
The freedom of spontaneity is lost when you must commit five months in advance.
[End Rant] ;)

We would love to get down to see Yosemite as the massive snowpack fuels the incredible waterfalls. However all reservations are booked. Even official campsites outside the park are at least an hour away, mostly south down by Oakhurst. We're coming from the north, via Big Oak Flat. Seems like the kayakers access Cherry Creek via Ferretti Rd., but I have no experience with this area.

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a place to bivy outside the park. I'm looking at the Stanislaus NF and notice roads heading towards the Tuolumne River. Since it's NF land, I assume we could pop the top just about anywhere. Hopefully we would be positioned within an hour or less of The (incomparible) Valley.

Anyone got any ideas?

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#2 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

Evergreen Road has a few pay-to-play campsites (not sure of the names, but I think one is called Diamond CG), but if you continue on along the road forks just before Evergreen Lodge, and the right turn (actually kinda straight, uphill) is a logging road with a couple nice turnouts along the way. You're looking for NFS Road 1S32. About 15 min drive from the west entrance to the park.

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

Excellent info BSS. Thanks!

I found Evergreen Rd on google map and the NFS road too. Pretty cool when you save to 'your maps' on google you can then draw on the map along the road (it automatically follows the line of the road/trail) and will give mileage. That route is then saved to your map. According to that it's ~7 miles to the area you describe from Big Oak Flat Rd, and only 18 miles from the intersection with El Portal, well inside the Valley. :)

example: Evergreen Rd

I'm seeing a trip coming together!
Anyone else know of other potential sites?

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

Yep, that's the place. Glad to help.

#5 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

If you want to stay in the park, I would try looking at the reservation website for the park campsites, and just log in early each morning to see what is available (check early morning on a daily basis).

We went a few years ago in the summer and also found every camp site booked up.

Someone on WTW recommended re-checking for sites early each morning on line.

Two days later we found a site on line.

There are a lot of people canceling reservations on a daily basis.

If you log in early each morning, or maybe late at night, I have a feeling you might be able to get a site.

Have Fun.

This is a great time of the year.

The falls were going crazy when we were there too.

Yep, that's the place. Glad to help.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • DSC02939.JPG
  • DSC02966.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#6 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:38 AM

Good idea, Stan. We're going to look for even a one-nighter in the Valley (two is better), which we could combine with a stay outside the park. I've got Susan primed to check her laptop each morning. :)

I've been intrigued with moonlit shots of the falls and there will be almost 3/4 moon when we get there, which will put it fairly high in the sky. With luck I'll get an opportunity for a photo shoot.

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

Scalpers flipping Yosemite reservations this is sad and why it is getting harder to get a cancellation. Scalpers are using computers to looks for cancellations.

http://www.fresnobee...servations.html

Bill

#8 Roger

Roger

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:40 AM

I have found that the off season is the best, best to get there before noon so you can get a space as it is first come first served; just the first two loops of upper pines are open off season. You need a lot of LPG for your heater and chains for possible snow from about November to March; if it gets cold enough just switch off your fridge. A snow shovel and collapsible ladder are key. Yosemite is much nicer, way quiet, less stressful and less crowded. Of course I still have a week in the summer reserved, but that is mostly for the kids... Good luck!

Edited after post! Oh yeah you may want to consider "cherry lake" I've heard it is a bit of a drive, but very nice and very close to Yosemite.

Attached Thumbnails

• yosemite winter 2010 030.jpg

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

If you want to stay in the park, I would try looking at the reservation website for the park campsites, and just log in early each morning to see what is available (check early morning on a daily basis).

We went a few years ago in the summer and also found every camp site booked up.

Someone on WTW recommended re-checking for sites early each morning on line.

Two days later we found a site on line.

There are a lot of people canceling reservations on a daily basis.

If you log in early each morning, or maybe late at night, I have a feeling you might be able to get a site.

Bingo! :) While trolling the site we suddenly saw an opening for Lower Pines and snagged it this morning. Thanks Stan! It's only for one night, but with a truck mounted system, who cares? We'll either get a second night inside the Valley or use the nearby NF camping suggested by BSS. Cool. Once again the camper is giving me the flexibility I need.

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,302 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:30 PM

Bingo! :) While trolling the site we suddenly saw an opening for Lower Pines and snagged it this morning. Thanks Stan! It's only for one night, but with a truck mounted system, who cares? We'll either get a second night inside the Valley or use the nearby NF camping suggested by BSS. Cool. Once again the camper is giving me the flexibility I need.

Mr. hawk.You do know that this week end is the Strawberry music festival? You are going this week end? Spots might be hard to come by.Good luck and enjoy. We went through the valley 2 weeks ago and the falls were awesome.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users