14 replies to this topic

#1 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

Greetings

Finally got a vacation again in July. Heading up the 1 and 101 from San Francisco to Jedediah Smith Redwoods National Park. Hoping to camp in the most obscure places. When we went to Lassen we often camped on Forest service roads away from crowds and off road vehicles. It's been awhile since I have seen the big trees. Should be pleasant weather next to the coast.

Keith Barnes
La Mesa CA

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#2 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

First night - Indian Creek County park in Philo (HWY 128). Only ten camp sites and first-come, first-served. $20 per night and very quiet and secluded, the CG is actually right in an old growth rw stand. Swim in the Navarro River or Indian Creek just a 5 minute walk. I'm not much of a fan of pay camping, but this one is way under the radar and a really great spot. Take 128 out to the coast the next morning and enjoy the drive north.

#3 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

I would encourage you to spend a night at Gold Bluffs Beach. Not a primitive site but spectacular.

#4 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:32 AM

You might want to check out Shelter Cove while you are there. No good camping in the town, but great spot to play on the beach, surf maybe? and the area is awesome.

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:18 AM

You might want to check out Shelter Cove while you are there. No good camping in the town, but great spot to play on the beach, surf maybe? and the area is awesome.

That road on the ridge above Shelter Cove (heading north) has at least one nice campground on it that seems pretty out there. I doubt it gets used much. That road is a great way to travel north and would be a good addition to the trip I would think.

#6 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

That road on the ridge above Shelter Cove (heading north) has at least one nice campground on it that seems pretty out there. I doubt it gets used much. That road is a great way to travel north and would be a good addition to the trip I would think.

Are you talking about the Kings Peak Road? All I see around Shelter Cove is town roads.

Keith

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#7 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

Yeah Kings Peak Road. Here's one of the campgrounds:

http://www.wanderthe...pot?record=1031

#8 dagankoffler

dagankoffler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

I am also planning a trip to the redwoods mendocino area. I am planning on going in early Nov. wanted to see if anyone has any info. on weather conditions in the Fall. Also if people know if certain camping sites are seasonal or year round. Thanks

Greetings

Finally got a vacation again in July. Heading up the 1 and 101 from San Francisco to Jedediah Smith Redwoods National Park. Hoping to camp in the most obscure places. When we went to Lassen we often camped on Forest service roads away from crowds and off road vehicles. It's been awhile since I have seen the big trees. Should be pleasant weather next to the coast.

Keith Barnes
La Mesa CA

#9 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:48 PM

Having lived on the North Coast for over 15 years I can tell you that fall can be one of the best times of the year in terms of weather....but its still a crap shoot. It could be sunny for a few days and then start pouring the next. I wouldn't let the weather discourage you.....some of the most beautiful times in the Redwoods can be had when it raining and the creeks are flowing.

Cort

#10 dagankoffler

dagankoffler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the info Cort. Any suggestions for campgrounds or areas that can be camped. Have a pretty capable rig. T-100 4x4 with a ranger model, we can go almost everywhere. Would love some spots with either beach access or redwood hiking close by. Thanks again.

Dagan
Having lived on the North Coast for over 15 years I can tell you that fall can be one of the best times of the year in terms of weather....but its still a crap shoot. It could be sunny for a few days and then start pouring the next. I wouldn't let the weather discourage you.....some of the most beautiful times in the Redwoods can be had when it raining and the creeks are flowing.

Cort

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users