18 replies to this topic

#1 imix

imix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

Hey, this maybe off topic for the FWC forum, but I was at Truckcampermagazine.com today and Phoenix RV (Robby Rowe, the son of Dave Rowe, founder of Four Wheel Camper so maybe not THAT off topic)has a gobsmacking new camper, the Geo Den. I haven't seen any other posts here so I thought I'd post on it. It's a pop up that weighs only 570 lbs dry, has no cabover, comes with a chest style National Luna fridge that draws .4 amps, a VENTED catalytic heater, and a FLIP UP molded sink/countertop.

I know FWC also has a non cabover camper (can't recall the name right now) but this thing has some stunning innovations. In fact, Robby is really innovating more than anyone in the pop up camper space right now, the Pulse camper on a Jeep also fell into the category of gobsmacking, IMHO.

Check 'er out. It's not cheap though, but Robby builds custom, no assembly line production like FWC so you'd expect that.
I tried to post a direct link but there is a weird symbol in the URL that turns it into a non working link. Head to the mainpage at truck camper mag and search for geo den.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

Well first of all I didn't like the non-cabover concept from FWC and I don't like Phoenix's version either. You have to get pretty tricky to make that small space usable. At least Phoenix did redesign the interior layout to maximize the available space which I will give them credit for (unlike FWC which is mostly a stock interior from what I understand).

IMO there is only one way to do a camper like this right and thats on a flatbed. The available space and storage actually become usable even on a compact truck. My version of "innovation" is more in line with creating usable and comfortable space, not packing more gadgets and doohickies in the camper.

So this is what I think should be happening: these camper companies should be building flatbeds too. The camper is built to interface with the flatbed so that it attaches quickly and easily. Camper and flatbed are sold as a package. Total price should come in at just a couple thousand dollars more but you have a far superior camper and truck to boot (the flatbed has much more utility value in everyday use I love mine). Finally, have a flatbed camper with a door on the side and the entire back available to store bikes, kayaks etc and you have the ultimate adventure rig.

I think we'll start seeing more campers in line with these ideas in the near future.

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

I tried to post a direct link but there is a weird symbol in the URL that turns it into a non working link. Head to the mainpage at truck camper mag and search for geo den.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com

Interesting write up with some cool appliances that seem very efficient.

here is the link

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

Why is this in the FWC section?
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#5 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

(unlike FWC which is mostly a stock interior from what I understand).

No, it has a new interior design. Not a huge difference, but it is a new design.

#6 jcfly

jcfly

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

Northstar has one called the "Escape Pod" that rests on a flat bed, but it seems little is heard about it.
Jim 2009 Chevy 2500 HD / 2004 FWC Hawk

#7 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:13 PM

Camper and flatbed are sold as a package. Total price should come in at just a couple thousand dollars more but you have a far superior camper and truck to boot (the flatbed has much more utility value in everyday use I love mine).

I would jump on a flatbed if it were just a couple thousand more, but what I have found for the Tacoma costs a lot more. I have looked at Ute and XP's flatbeds, am I missing one?

I also think it will be some time before flatbeds catch on here in NA, if they ever do. From what I have seen locally, I do not think flatbeds will become common, not really sure why.

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:59 AM

I would jump on a flatbed if it were just a couple thousand more, but what I have found for the Tacoma costs a lot more. I have looked at Ute and XP's flatbeds, am I missing one?

I also think it will be some time before flatbeds catch on here in NA, if they ever do. From what I have seen locally, I do not think flatbeds will become common, not really sure why.

The couple thousand more would only work if the camper companies were building the flatbeds and offering them as a package.

But lets look at the math here. First of all these tiny, expensive, non-cabover campers have a market that must be pretty tiny and I doubt either of these companies will sell more than a handful of them. However, even the cabover versions are pretty tiny with terrible storage.

So lets say you spend 18k on a pretty decked out FWC for a Tacoma. Thats 18k - pretty expensive! And what do you have? Still a tiny camper with very limited internal layout options, crappy storage, and no easy way to haul your mountain bikes, kayaks, or other outdoor gear.

Now lets say hypothetically that some company has a stock flatbed version that does not have a premium price because its a one off custom. So its 18k. You can get a ute installed for a Tacoma for around 3k. Thats around 17% of the camper price.

So for an extra 17% you get a camper with enough room to create some different layouts to suit your needs, a camper with plenty of storage that is accessible both outside and in, and a camper with a back wall that can be used to haul your mountain bikes. That sounds like a no-brainer to me and its the only way I would do it with a compact truck.

Further it seems that none of the camper manufacturers are mountain bikers, kayaks etc because none of them are solving the obvious problems of hauling gear with a pop-up camper. There are literally millions of mountain bikers that are potential customers for these kind of lightweight campers but I have yet to see one camper company put 2 and 2 together and try to get into that market. That would be one form of innovation that actually has some merit.

There are plenty of camper manufacturers that are building quality campers but most of them are pretty slim in the innovation department. Not much fundamental has changed in the last 20-30 years.

Sorry for the rant but I expect some bigger thinking from these companies before I call them innovative.

#9 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:15 AM

As for NCO microscopic campers I do like the Alaskan version:

http://www.truckcamp...-alaskan-mini-/

I know its heavy but i think this is the best internal layout for this kind of design.

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:26 AM

Last I saw the tacoma sized ute was running $2500 so taht sorta falls in your numbers.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users