• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:42 AM

We are planning to check out Eastern Oregon and Northern Nevada (including Blackrock desert) for a week to 10 days in mid-late October this year. I've browsed through some trip reports here, but I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for books, trail guides, maps, etc. Thanks!
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,605 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:04 AM

Brett13-
Are you looking for backroad-exploring guides? Or hiking guides?
This is my most-frequently-visited area in the past 20 years...kinda think of it as "my territory" :P .
And yet...I have a hard time coming up with books/guides to suggest. :huh: When I was first discovering the Great Basin in general and the SE-OR/NW-NV area in particular I used "Hiking the Great Basin" (Sierra Club) a lot and then I used a lot of maps to figure out how to get there and what else in in the area.

IF you wanted suggestions for destinations (in no particular order):
  • Hart Mt. Antelope Refuge (much more than antelope)
  • Steens Mt. west side -- up on top (the "crown jewel" of SE-OR)
  • Steens Mt., east side (such as Pike Creek, next to the Alvord Desert)
  • Alvord Desert/Basin (driving/camping across the playa)
  • Pueblo Mts (just south of the Steens)
  • Trout Creek Mts. (though it's a popular hunting destination and so will be relatively "crowded" at this time)
  • Owyhee Canyons in far-SE-OR/far-SW-ID/N-NV (more remote than anything else in SE-OR)
  • Pine Forest Range (in NW-NV, just south of the Pueblos)
  • Jackson Mts on the east side of the NE arm of the Black Rock Desert (the slightly-vegetated, softer, not-generally-drivable part of the Black Rock)
  • Black Rock Hot Springs (at Black Rock Point on the Black Rock desert)
  • Double Hot Springs (east side of east arm of Black Rock Desert)
  • Anywhere in/across the main-dry-flat-sterile section of the Black Rock Desert playa, typically accessed via Gerlach
October would be a great time to go as it's cooling off and yet the high places are still (usually) snow free, including the short season of Steens Mt high country.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:41 AM

If you go the East Steens way mentioned by Mr.BC above and and not traveling with young, hard to corral children, I'd stop by Mickey Basin/ Mickey Hot Springs. It's a geothermal area I think is sorta neat. One word of caution, the pools are very hot! Thus this is not a soaking pool destination. The following links describe Mickey Hot Springs:

http://www.opb.org/p...ments/view/1610

If you want the soaking experience try Alvord or Willow Cr:

http://soakoregon.co...ek-hot-springs/

For maps the old fashioned 24K or 100K Topo maps are about as good as anything. The BLM Rec maps are typically 100K, show ownership and aren't too bad for general navigation. The following offices cover the areas mentioned above. Burns BLM (541-573-4400) Winnemucca BLM (775-623-1500) Surprise, aka Cedarville BLM (530-279-6101). Part of the Pine Forest Range and NW Nevada in general is Sheldon Wildlife Refuge (775-941-0199).

Good luck and enjoy....

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#4 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

Thanks guys. I should have been more specific. First, no kids on this trip but we'll probably bring our dog. Second, I'm mostly interested in backroad guides/maps. My rig is fairly capable and I'm comfortable with medium level 4wheeling and thus exploring the lonely road is ideal. We just have no idea what to expect, which is, half the fun of course. Reminds me of my first few trips to SE UT, which is now "my territory" :) and for which I need few maps or guides (I still use them to find new things or remind me of nooks I haven't yet visited- there are still plenty!) but I could run a comprehensive UT trip blindfolded.

I was surprised that there are no National Geo/Trails Illustrated maps for the area! That's when I knew this might be an area less visited! Will check out all of the above suggestions. Others are still welcome. Gracias.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#5 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

Everything MarkBC said plus Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge.

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#6 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:32 PM

Brett, a trip into High Rock Lake and High Rock Canyon would also be worth your time.

High Rock Canyon Camp
Posted Image

Pioneers' Records
Posted Image

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,605 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

For maps the old fashioned 24K or 100K Topo maps are about as good as anything. The BLM Rec maps are typically 100K, show ownership and aren't too bad for general navigation.

Yep! Back when I was first exploring SE-OR and NW-NV I bought all of the USGS and/or BLM 100k series of topo maps covering that area. (I'm a mapophile) They seem like the perfect scale for road-exploring 'cause you don't need as many (as the 24k) to cover a large area and you don't need the detail required for navigation by foot. BLM maps showing ownership are great so you don't end up dead-ended at a "No Trespassing" sign/gate after a long hard road. This has happened to me a couple of times when using the USGS version 'cause it didn't show that the route included large private tracts.

I think the lack of road-exploring guide-books or tour-guide-maps to the area is because little of it is recognized to be as spectacular as, say, SE Utah or the Sierras, for example. There are no National Parks or Monuments in SE OR or NW-NV, though Steens Mt has been mentioned as deserving of National Park-hood. Steens really is spectacular when you get high upon its west slope -- 4 major glacier-carved U-shaped valleys as well as an almost mile-high drop down the east face (I've posted a lot of photos in the Steens Mt, Oregon Gallery)....though it doesn't look it from the western base. It's similar to how the Sierras don't look like much from the western foothills, but are spectacular on top or viewing from the eastern base -- so is Steens.

The suggestions for destinations that have been given are way too many to explore in a couple of weeks, of course...but you've got plenty to choose from.
What I like MOST about the area (and in general) are the big, naked, land-forms and lots of vertical contrast. Such as Hart Mt plunging down to the Warner Lakes Valley to west and Steens Mt plunging down to the Alvord Basin to the east. And then there's the extreme flat bareness of the Alvord Desert and the much bigger (but more-visited) Black Rock desert playas. In addition to their stark, other-worldly beauty, all kinds of wild stuff is possible on those enormous flat obstruction-free parking lots! I've ridden my bicycle in the pitch dark and even with my eyes closed for a couple of minutes -- absolutely unconstrained bicycle riding is very cool and rare to find. (foolhardy stunts with the truck involving blind night-driving and driverless driving are also possible, but won't be mentioned Posted Image)

I know Oregon natives who've only heard of Steens Mt and have never been there and who've never even heard of Hart Mountain or the Black Rock Desert -- Enjoy your exploration!

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:17 AM

I might see you down there. I will be there about that time, maybe a bit sooner with wife and 7 y.o. daughter for a grand tour of SE Oregon. We're avoiding Nevada, or rather saving it for a later trip. I think two weeks is what we're planning round-trip from Portland.
FWC-Owning Human

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:50 AM

I've ridden my bicycle in the pitch dark and even with my eyes closed for a couple of minutes -- absolutely unconstrained bicycle riding is very cool and rare to find. (foolhardy stunts with the truck involving blind night-driving and driverless driving are also possible, but won't be mentioned Posted Image)

Getting off topic here . . . I've always thought eyes-closed skiing was cool. Mostly have done it XC, which is an interesting mix of balance and faith that there's something solid out there in front of you. :unsure:

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#10 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

Thanks everyone.

I might see you down there. I will be there about that time, maybe a bit sooner with wife and 7 y.o. daughter for a grand tour of SE Oregon. We're avoiding Nevada, or rather saving it for a later trip. I think two weeks is what we're planning round-trip from Portland.

Nat- let's revisit this as it gets closer. Would be fun to hook up somewhere if schedules permit. Anyone else up for a small unofficial rally?
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users