10 replies to this topic

#1 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:03 AM

There's a spot in the Gila NF that I am fond of, but haven't been to since just before the Bear fire in 2006. I thought it was high time to head back there for a few days. So, I loaded the camper with gear and dog, and headed west to Snow Lake.

The (Aldo) Leopold Vista of the Gila Wilderness, looking east from US 180
Posted Image

I headed into the Gila NF on route 159, which climbs up steeply to the little town of Mogollon. It was a boomtown around the turn of the 20th century because of the Little Fannie gold mine.
Posted Image

Today, the village of Mogollon is considered a ghost town, but it does have some colorful residences and residents. One family has a flatbed truck camper. Doesn't look like it's moved in a while, though.
Posted Image

The last seven or so miles of the road to Snow lake is sad, because it goes through the area of the 2006 Bear fire. In one spot, I had a view of the current Jack Complex fire that is burning at a low level. If you look carefully at the gap between the snags in the center, you can see the smudge of smoke from the Jack Complex. A new fire as seen from an old fire.
Posted Image

I rolled in to Dipping Vat Campground at Snow lake in time for a quick dinner and small campfire. Ahhh, relaxation time.
Posted Image

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#2 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:23 AM

I like Snow Lake because 1) There is water, which is scarce enough here in New Mexico, 2) The terrain is interesting - a transition between forest and high altitude grasslands, 3) there is a hiking trail into the wilderness with the trailhead at the campground, and 4) there used to be good trout fishing.

Unfortunately, the trout fishing has deteriorated because the lake has been overrun with carp. That's all anyone caught during the time I was there. The ranger said to leave any carp we caught on the bank for the birds to eat, but I doubt that is going to fix the carp problem. Anyway, I was set for trout, and caught none, but I had fun kicking the float tube around the little lake. Plus, there was hiking to do, and sitting around a campfire in the evening. I managed to keep pleasantly busy.

Here is what the place looks like in daylight.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#3 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

Nice looking country there, Highz. Thanks for the photos. I'll have to drop down for a visit.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#4 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:46 AM

Katie was hugely entertained by a pocket gopher that was popping in and out of its burrow to gather grass just a few feet from her nose. It seemed to know she was on a tether and couldn't reach it. It was totally unperturbed by having a dog within a few feet.
Posted Image
Posted Image

On the way home, I took the tamer road into the town of Reserve. It does have a few nice views as you descend out of the mountains.
Posted Image

Lunch in Reserve was a green chile cheeseburger (with chiles from Hatch, of course), at Ella's cafe, but it wasn't as good as the ones you can get in San Antonio and Carrizozo. Sorry, no photo of the cheeseburger or of Reserve. Reserve was a staging area during the huge Wallow fire. They are slowly getting back to normal there.

-------------

#5 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:01 AM

Katie was hugely entertained by a pocket gopher that was popping in and out of its burrow to gather grass just a few feet from her nose.
Posted Image

Entertained? My dog would call that torture :o I haven't been there, may need to check it out. How come Colorado people come to NM in the summer when we New Mexicans head to Colorado :blink:
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:04 AM

Thanks for the photos and tour, highz -- an area I know nothing about. Posted Image

One family has a flatbed truck camper. Doesn't look like it's moved in a while, though.
Posted Image

I see why Dirtydog & marc@XP promote the flatbed approach -- yes, very versatile! Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the pix Z. I'm putting Snow Lake on our to do list.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

Great pictures of a beautiful area. The 2006 fire was really disastrous for the Snow Lake area. I am planning to go to the Cliff Dwelling area to see what the Morris Fire did to the forest there.

As an aside, have you ever taken the trail from Snow Lake to Beaverhead? That is a great drive. Just be careful if there have been rains as the road becomes chocolate soup in the rain.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#9 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

Great pictures of a beautiful area. The 2006 fire was really disastrous for the Snow Lake area. I am planning to go to the Cliff Dwelling area to see what the Morris Fire did to the forest there.

As an aside, have you ever taken the trail from Snow Lake to Beaverhead? That is a great drive. Just be careful if there have been rains as the road becomes chocolate soup in the rain.

I wanted to go to Snow Lake via the road to Beaverhead, because I live east of the Gila and it would have been a more direct (although slower) route. But, after seeing the flash flood watches for the area and phoning the ranger station, I chickened out. Maybe next time.

-------------

#10 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

I wanted to go to Snow Lake via the road to Beaverhead, because I live east of the Gila and it would have been a more direct (although slower) route. But, after seeing the flash flood watches for the area and phoning the ranger station, I chickened out. Maybe next time.

Those roads can get very nasty. Last year FR150 turned to a wheel choking muck. I had to remove the fender on a friends dirt bike as it had locked up. Ugh
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users