• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:40 AM

This is primarily a question for Dirty Dog, but others may wish to chime in too:
Should Wander the West have a section for "other compact campers" (other than 4WC and ATC that is)?
I ask purely out of self interest since I have really enjoyed this forum as a 4WC owner, but now find myself moving on to a small hardside camper temporarily and eventually hope to have a hardside pop-up camper that a friend is developing for the same type of travel that the WtW members enjoy with their 4WC and ATC campers. Previously there have been posts about other campers, such as Sportsmobile, but in the 4WC section. I realize that this may not be the direction that you want to take this forum, and would completely understand if the answer is no.

Cheers
Mark

#2 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:04 PM

I would welcome other types of campers as long as they stay with the FWC/ATC theme. That is; rugged, light weight, made for true exploring. I would not want to see every suburban dad with a minivan and tent trailer on here posting about how to get the best T.V. reception while "camping"

Sam

#3 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

I feel we should embrace anybody who wants to "Wander The West ". I think all the members of this forum love the outdoors. Love exploring, geology, history and just seeing new things. Plus it seems to be pretty much self regulating.
There is another forum (RV.Net) for the bring everything folks. I'm a member of that forum too. Good information there: To keep insects from moving into your refer, heater or water heater vents, place a pet flee collar in the area to repel bugs. So the more the merrier.

Cheers,

Mike

#4 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:49 AM

There are other types of campers out there?????:D Shame on them.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#5 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

i would hate to see this great site turn into just another r.v.gab fest. if i want to learn about class a's, trailers etc there are plenty of other site's no problem with other links being listed as they do answer a lot of questions. back to K.I.S.S.(keep it simple s-----) just my thought on this. drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

#6 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:49 PM

i would hate to see this great site turn into just another r.v.gab fest.

I have to agree, but if something fits the ATC/FWC mold, I would welcome it. I think you run the risk of inviting conversations on adjusting your satellite tv contraption, etc. along with all the mobile homers. This site seems to endorse the true outdoors-person, where the MHers who seem to want to tow their whole house with them would not likely share so many of the same interests. They generally are not diverging far from the paved path (present company excluded of course). Not that there is something wrong with that, just that it could spoil the common spirit here. Just my $0.02.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#7 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:19 PM

I thought about it, but for the price, I'm better off with the second-hand one I found.

I briefly considered making a teardrop, but decided the lightweight TC better suited my wishes.

It would still be a fun project, if not a money saving one. ;)

If you have pictures of your build process, it would be interesting to see them, with descriptions...

#8 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:32 PM

homemade,

Any idea what you camper weighs? Thanks.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#9 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:10 AM

DD,

Back to the other type of camper discussion. I've given this one a lot of thought and up to last week was willing to go along with the majority here and just not reply. However, last week after looking through a friend's Sun-Lite camper I realized that not many, if any, other camper types are going to have the same issues we have with FWC/ATC. His camper weighed 1,800# loaded and didn't do very well off road, etc. Let's stick to light weight aluminum frames for now, except for "homemade's" metal frame, it certainly deserves respect. Thanks.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#10 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:08 AM

DLN;

Thanks for the reply. I think this comment says it all: "I've given this one a lot of thought and up to last week was willing to go along with the majority here and just not reply. However..."

Good luck to all of you at Wander the West, it is a great site!

Cheers
Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users