#1 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

I had this foster dog for about 8 months
Posted Image
They finally found a home for him but in Bellingham, WA and I didn't want to stick him in a cargo compartment in the summer and I was planning to head North anyway so we agreed to make the hand off in Thompson Fall, MT. And then I bought a motorcycle in Denver so I was going swing through there on the way North.

I sought some local advice from Stew :) and he pointed me to Cordova Pass as a good stop, West from Walsenberg CO by the Spanish Peaks Wilderness. A simple campsite, 11,000'+, nice trails
Posted Image
In the morning took two of the pooches for a hike, then the bad happened, trip changed :o
The foster dog, a young and energetic boy, was racing around as he can be prone to do, then disappeared, which he is not prone to do. Turns out he ran into a log, or a stump, or something and ended up like this
Posted Image
Obviously needed some help so down the mountain, onto the internet, and we located a weekend dog hospital in Pueblo. 70 stitches, a few staples, general anesthetic and 2 hours of surgery and a lot of $$$ and you get this
Posted Image
And a few hours later
Posted Image
Not knowing what was going to happen I aborted the trip to Denver and after telling the new doggie parents what happened headed to Montana. Pooch was pretty good, down on energy but at times too much. Anyway that night we camped along the Arkansas River
Posted Image
and the next day headed up Independence Pass, all paved and busy at the top but a very pretty spot. On the way up, yes I do travel with quite a few dogs :blink:
Posted Image

And then my camera started to crap out :( now off for repairs. Some suggestions from this trip.
SE Idaho, Nice camp, Palisade, just off 26 West of Jackson, WY. Good for avoiding the Jackson tourists.
Montana/Idaho border, Lost Trail Pass, nice campground on the Montana side. Surprised that no one else was there, forest rats everywhere.
Thompson Falls State Park, went there just as a reliable meet up place to hand off the dog. On the river but also by road construction and a busy railroad track :(
Best camp spot award goes to Seven Devils in the Hell's Canyon rec area accessed from Riggins ID by an 18 mile 5000' upgrade. The trailhead was full, the campground nearly empty (on a Saturday night) beautiful views and hiking, little lake by the camp, visited by a very curious Black/Red Fox combination, started chewing on the dogs line. Here is a pic from someone else.
Posted Image
Idaho/NV border on 225 has a nice little camp along the river, decent stop over, North of Wild Horse Res.
Spent a night at Great Basin NP, great views but busier than the other places we stayed.
Same at Colorado National Monument, a beautiful park people often pass by, busier than I prefer, campsites do have great views but strange in that a few thousand feet down and a few miles out you are looking at civilization, Grand Junction, CO.
From there I was headed back to Denver to pick up the motorcycle and figured going through Rocky Mountain National Park would be nice. It was, nice Elk herds, wonderful vistas, and of course during the peak season plenty of tourists. The campsites in the park, at least as you come in from Granby and the West, looked sucky for sure. An open field full of campers. Instead go to Willow Creek Res just a few miles South of the park and a couple miles West of 34. No boat motors, quiet campground, very nice stop :) Stew had recommended the older Fall River road, one way East to West, but it was closed from avalanche damage (now open :( )
From there I just headed to Denver, picked up the trials bike, and headed out of town asap on 285 and camped in a FS site at Kenosha Pass. Surprisingly to me all the sites were reserved for the weekend but since we were just there for the Thursday overnight we were good. I guess it is close enough to Denver to be very popular.

Made it back to S. NM the next day. Man there is just a lot of great territory out there. Best spots of this trip, Seven Devils Mountains and Hell's Canyon, Cordova Pass and the Spanish Peaks, Independence Pass, of course Rocky Mountain NP but best not in summer, and I almost forgot, Fossil Butte National Monument off US30 in West WY.
Posted Image
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#2 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

I'm glad to hear the (repaired) pup found his new home. For sure, we don't call you Bark-O for nothin'. :D

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#3 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

Ouch, another inch or so and that would of really hurt!

Really respect what your doing helping out the k9s. If it was me, I would end up with a houseful of dogs, once I get to know them I could never let go. Are you with a particular rescue group?

Thanks for the report.
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

This dog and a previous delivery were from the Catahoula Rescue. Dogs are good but their admin is shaky. Kept listing the dog in the NW and now mysteriously they seem hard to connect with after telling them I have a large vet bill. I have a feelings they'll blame me as the dog was unleashed. This guy was hard to part with in part because he was pretty anxious about the deal and didn't want to leave me :( But he has warmed up to his new home and is in good hands. The Vet said he might pee to the left but from what I could tell he is still a straight pee'r! I imagine I'm preachin to the choir but please, no more litters!

Ouch, another inch or so and that would of really hurt!

Really respect what your doing helping out the k9s. If it was me, I would end up with a houseful of dogs, once I get to know them I could never let go. Are you with a particular rescue group?

Thanks for the report.

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

Sounds like you're doing a great thing, Barko! Way to go! :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#6 1tonpaulie

1tonpaulie

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationJohnsburg, Illinois

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:46 PM

Great job Barko. Not many people would pay Big Bucks and then hand over the dog to new owners.
You have a big heart for these animals. You said in your post Forest rats. Being from the midwest what are these.

#7 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:45 AM

You said in your post Forest rats. Being from the midwest what are these.

You have plenty, and fatter ones I suspect, good old deer. Mule Deer mostly here, especially hated when you hit one with your motorcycle :angry: As for the dog, I've wasted money on worse, had to get him stitched, and he's got a good home. Bottom line the dogs give back a whole lot. And my travels with three is easier than with four :lol:

#8 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:59 AM

Barko,

Interesting, to me forest rats are squirrels and chipmunks, rats with pretty tails.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:30 AM

Stuff like that is what makes me want to learn how to do my own stitches. Nice scenic trip. More places to add to the wishlist.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:34 AM

Barko,

Interesting, to me forest rats are squirrels and chipmunks, rats with pretty tails.

Regional differences I guess :lol:

Oops, I left one dog out
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users