13 replies to this topic

#1 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

I've been doing some poking around my propane supply lines, adding a Tee for a Wave 3 heater :) underneath the cabinet housing the furnace. I then got curious and followed main gas supply up to where it splits inside the stove.

Posted Image

I traced the line from the propane box up to the stove where it splits four ways:
  • Supply from tank- marked with red tape
  • Stove - front
  • Refer - exits rear
  • pre-plumb for hot water? - goes right toward sink

I followed the gas line behind the drawers, under the sink and to the drivers front side behind the status monitor. The line seems to end there with a flare nut. This photo is looking down (holding my p&s camera in places my big head won't fit ;) )

Posted Image

Question: Is this a pre-plumbed line for future hot water option? I assume there's a plug in that flare nut since it's hooked up at the manifold. I should also say this is a 2008 Hawk w/o hot water. I am the second owner.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

I've been doing some poking around my propane supply lines, adding a Tee for a Wave 3 heater Posted Image underneath the cabinet housing the furnace. I then got curious and followed main gas supply up to where it splits inside the stove.
Question: Is this a pre-plumbed line for future hot water option? I assume there's a plug in that flare nut since it's hooked up at the manifold. I should also say this is a 2008 Hawk w/o hot water. I am the second owner.

Andy -
I did the same thing last year -- for the same reason (except for Wave 6), and I came to the same conclusion: option for water heater. Must be -- I don't have a water heater either.

I pulled/removed that extra copper line and attached a line (rubber) for my Wave to the freed-up Tee under the stove.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

I would be inclined to add a grommet in the stove where the copper tube passes through. A few years of vibration might wear on it.
A piece of rubber hose can be slit and used, providing it doesn't get too hot.

DR
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

I would be inclined to add a grommet in the stove where the copper tube passes through. A few years of vibration might wear on it.

Mine had a short piece of Tygon-like tubing around the copper where it passes through -- to quiet the rattle as much as wear-resistance, I bet.

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

I pulled/removed that extra copper line and attached a line (rubber) for my Wave to the freed-up Tee under the stove.

Did you use a quick disconnect or hook up the rubber hose permanently?
We would like to be able to stow the Wave while traveling, yet be able to hook up it quick in camp.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

We would like to be able to stow the Wave while traveling, yet be able to hook up it quick in camp.

The upstream-end of the hose is permanently connected to that under-stove Tee (or "Cross", I guess I should say), but the "business-end" terminates in a quick disconnect (female) which mates with a quick disconnect (male) that I adapted to/on the Wave.
I also have a shut-off valve just upstream of the quick disconnect on the hose. This is just in case the quick disconnect leaked for some reason when disconnected/un-mated -- "belt and suspenders". LP gas pressure downstream of the regulator is very low -- like, 0.4 psi -- so it's unlikely that the quick disconnect would leak...so I'm being (uncharacteristically) irrationally cautious! Posted Image
I think somebody on this forum said that use of quick disconnects for propane in an RV is not allowed by code (or something like that) Posted Image ...so please don't turn me in. Posted Image

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

...so please don't turn me in. Posted Image

Calling all cars! Car 54, where are you?? :lol:

Your install is exactly what I was thinking. The shutoff is a good idea too.
As far as legality is concerned, I had read a post by XPMarc saying something about no disconnects in RV's. But when I go online, I see they sell them. What gives?

quick disconnect

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

As far as legality is concerned, I had read a post by XPMarc saying something about no disconnects in RV's. But when I go online, I see they sell them. What gives?

Yeah, I think it was Marc's post that I'm remembering, too. So, if true, who knows -- it may only apply to OEM work like his business and not to individuals/after-market.
I'm not worried about it. I figure that exploding in a ball of flame will be sufficient punishment for my crime.

#9 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

My rubber hose is a more permanent connection but long enough so that when I travel it just stores on its' feet under the cabinet and I just move it out to use. Always connected, never a hassle.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#10 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

I took my truck/camper to a propane dealer (in TX) to ask about having them install a flex hose w/ or w/o disconnects in the living space. They refused, citing illegality. I went home and did it anyway, hooking up a little buddy.

I have since relented, and gone back to code-worthy gas plumbing. I love my wife too much...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users