12 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

I haven't posted any trip reports lately because I've been too busy sinking money into my truck. After slicing open the sidewall on a tire it was time for tires. I opted for Toyo MTs 265 70 17. Very expensive tires. As they were being installed they mentioned I needed new upper ball joints. Had those installed the next week. Another big chunk of change. As it wasn't feeling quite right still, I decided it was time to install the dodge updated steering and a new track bar. Another large chunk of change.

Okay, time to go down and get an alignment. Guy wasn't working on my truck five minutes before he comes and tells me "can't align it, you need new lower ball joints". /sigh Thats gonna be another large chunk of change not mention its difficult finding time to get it into the shop.

Well like DD, I needed a forest fix. Fresh air and pine trees. With the truck being marginal I figured I'd go to a spot I know thats only a little over an hour away in the ENF. Nice little dead end road with a few nice spots to camp. No water but its remote enough you can usually see some wildlife. On the side of a hill, off to the east it drops down into what was once the bottom of the iron mountain ski area. To the north you can see into the desolation wilderness. Unfortunately I got some neighbors camping uphill from me that decided it was a fine thing to start shooting after the sun went down. I knew where they were and even if they were yahoos I was in a safe spot and managed to sleep right through it.

Next morning while was having my coffee I hear a crashing and banging. I thought a bear was gonna come right through camp. Caught just a glimpse and it was only a deer. About ten am the shooting starts up again. So much for seeing any wildlife. I pack up head out to do some geocaching. Unbelievable number of people along the MET. Bicyclists, motorcyclists, photogs, atv'rs, and so many others I just got depressed and came on home. I need to get the truck fixed and do a nice long trip.

Posted Image

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

Sorry to hear about the truck problems. The ball joints are the weak link in these Dodge's fourwheel systems. But I new that when I bought mine.

Mike

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:31 PM

Sorry to hear about the problem with obnoxious hoards...I've had to do that (go home early) once or twice myself. Not that there weren't alternatives, but the encounters spoiled the mood. Posted Image

BTW: What's "MET"?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

MET=mormon emigrant trail. sometimes referred to as iron mountain road.

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

It seems to be getting harder and harder to get away from people these days. Nice looking spot, bummer about the yahoos.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#6 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

May I suggest to never go anywhere near Lake Nacimiento.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

Ah yes, the sounds of gunfire in the morning . . . {resisting bad movie pun ;)}

We just returned from three days out at Sawmill Lake, Grouse Ridge area where we were invited to join friends for their annual camp out. It was beautiful camping, with great kayaking and swimming. We had gourmet campfire cooking (my chicken with cilantro/serrano was a hit, also SR's zuccini pancakes with feta cheese :) ). Good company and mandolin/percussion/singing around the fire. It was really a great trip.

But at night and in the morning, the echoing sounds of gunfire broke the serenity, and during the day, steady ATV traffic cruising by detracted from our experience. The kicker for me was when three of us were quietly paddling up the lake and I heard the sound of a ATV nearby. I looked and the 'yay-hoos' were off-roading along the rock outcrops of the shore crunching over brush. I had also noticed big scars in the meadow across the road from irresponsible off-road riders (which is a big fat ticket in TNF). We took a short hike and noticed copious amounts of shotgun shells on the ground. I think firearms and off road recreation can be done responsibly.
I just wish people would think about who they are impacting and what they are doing to the landscape.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

the sounds of gunfire in the morning . . . {resisting bad movie pun Posted Image}

as in "the smell of napalm"? Also OK...if done responsibly... Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:45 PM

I target shoot occasionally. I make sure I'm at least one ridge over from campers. I bring my own targets. I pick up my targets and brass when I'm done and I keep my time shooting short. And of course safety is number one. Always have a good backdrop. I see signs that are shot up all the time and you know the idiots aren't thinking about where their rounds wind up down range. Never have understood the thrill of shooting sign

#10 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

I have a colleague that is responsible like you, Craig. Even so, he thought he was far enough away from the residential area at Sunspot National Observatory, but wasn't. Got lots of complaints about noise from the residents (he lived there too). He wound up going a mile away to target shoot. Part of it is how the sound carries along the canyons, I guess.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users