Additional storage space?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:02 AM

I already mentioned that I still have to wait a few more weeks for my Bobcat, right?
As I will use this camper with two adults and two children, every little bit of storage space will be used.
One area that has me thinking is the space between the outer wall underneath the seat / bench and the sidewall of the truck bed.

Is it possible to modify the top of this step so it can be lifted up? I'm thinking about some hinges in the back.

Now, my Photoshop skills are not very advanced, maybe not even basic. But this picture might explain what I mean.

I would then attach kind of a bag made from some rubberized canvas around the edges of the bench. This storage would be great for sleeping bags and soft stuff.

What I don't know is what material is used to build this part of the camper and if this idea is just too crazy.

So, let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails

• shell2.jpg
  • shell3.jpg

03 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, D Cab, Air-Lift, Schroth Safety Harness, Recaro Seat (finally) on board laptop w GPS, ARB Front Bumper, Manual Hubs.

#2 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:37 AM

My Bobcat shell does not have a straight vertical "box" around the wheel wells. It is more like two steps. Sorry, but I don't have a pic handy to illustrate. Ask Ben about it. Maybe I overlooked asking for the boxed config.

From looking at the pic you posted and knowing how large my "steps" are, I think there is definately some usable space in there, just not a lot. And probably not enough space for very large for bulky items, but certainly enough room for blankets, flashlights, hip packs, cutlery, etc.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#3 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:44 AM

Well the pictures that you have there are of a FWC shell. They have made those areas into storage from what I hear. Ours will not look like that. The inside is a stair step type design to give you more room in the camper. There really isn't any storage area under the spot that you have circled because we come up to the top of the wheel wheel and the go over it to the side of the truck and then up to over the rail of the truck bed. I will try to find a photo that shows you what I am talking about.

There is a little storage area that you can use and access through the small sliding doors that you use to get to the turnbuckles.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2438 sm.JPG
  • IMG_2803 sm.JPG

Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#4 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:44 AM

You are right, the picture I used is from the FWC site. Now that I got the real and correct picture it is easier to show the space.

Even if this space is only a few inches wide, it should be enough to store some small stuff, or even a water bag with a few gallons.
Some info about water bags is here: http://www.bayteccon.../waterbags.html

The thing with these bags is that we would have to put them into this space once the camper is on the truck. The advantage would be that we could use the space for the regular water tank for something else.

What material is used for the floors of the campers?

If it's wood it should be easy to cut a few holes in it. (sounds like fun, cutting into a new camper!)

Attached Thumbnails

• Shell4.jpg

03 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, D Cab, Air-Lift, Schroth Safety Harness, Recaro Seat (finally) on board laptop w GPS, ARB Front Bumper, Manual Hubs.

#5 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:02 AM

The space you have outlined will be filled up mostly with the wheel well of your truck. You will have some access to the area in front of the wheel well and behind it through the small doors for the turnbuckle.

You can store some items in these areas if you feel the need. Try not to put anything in there though that can slip between the camper and the wheel well and get stuck. I watched a customer put 3 small propane bottles in the back hole the other day.

DO NOT CUT UP THE CAMPER. The floor pack is part of the structure of the camper and part of the reason that it holds up as well as it does over the years. If you start to cut holes into it you are going to weaken the camper and I would hate to hear the story of what happens a couple of years down the road.

So in your case I am going to tell you that the floor pack is made of a space age material that you will be unable to cut with any modern tool that you have in your garage.:D

For everyone else, the floor pack is made of 5/8" plywood.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

#6 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:57 PM

hey cabezon23

yes, that area in the four wheel campers "shell models" is now made into storage

its not much, but it is there and can be useful (also hidden, so if you have valuables to stash, most people won't be looking in there)

sorry we don't have better "shell models" pictures on our website right now

we are working on updating them

hope this helps ...

Attached Thumbnails

• New Shell, Eagle 11-06 8.JPG
  • New Shell, Eagle 11-06 7.JPG
  • New Shell, Eagle 11-06 6.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#7 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:47 AM

You will notice with Stans pictures that you still have no access to the area that you want to cut a hole to get too. They still have the stair step design for the floor pack and have just enclosed the step over the wheel well to make a storage area.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

#8 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:54 AM

I'm sorry to say, but I am still not satisfied.

I accept Bens position that the integrity of the floor structure is crucial for the overall durability of the camper.

So, what about using this space for the water tank? Instead of a custom made tank I would imagine a couple of 4" PVC pipes attached to the camper bed. They would have to be connected to each other and with some sort of quick disconnect to the camper.

This system would allow us to use the space of the regular water tank for something else.

I'll be traveling the next two weeks, but once I get back I'll try this to see how it works out.

#9 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:46 AM

I like your idea of the bladder tank. It would be a great use for the otherwise wasted space and free up valuable room inside the camper. Keep us posted.

#10 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:09 AM

The space inside the wheel wells on a full size truck is 49". The floor of the camper is 48". This leaves 1/2" of room on each side between the wheel well and the camper. The first step of the camper comes up the side of the wheel well and goes over the top of it.

I believe that to fit a 4" piece of pvc into that space you will have to notch out the wheel well to let the camper slide in still.

Once again, there is a little storage space in front of the wheel well and behind that you can access through the holes that you use to put the turnbuckles on and off.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users