• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sev3en

Sev3en

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

Since I basically have a blank slate to work from with the remodel of the camper I have been wondering what you all have installed in the way of stereos, TV's, gaming stations, disco balls, etc...

Not that we need any of those things when we are exploring the wonders of nature, untill the storm moves in and starts dumping inches of Oregon sunshine on all the festivites :rolleyes: .

I would love pics too if you have them. I've been searching but am not comming up with many.

Thanks

S.
1984 Fleet :D 98.5 Dodge 2500 Cummins:thumb: "I work twice as hard as my excuses!!"

#2 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:03 PM

I just carry a video ipod which I have connected into the truck's factory stereo for listening to music on the road and an iHome boom box for listening to music in camp. The screen is too small for anything worth while. I'm learning guitar (slowly), so I take that with me too. Personally I wouldn't want anything built in as I tend to spend most of the time outside the truck, but I don't have kids to keep entertained and I realize that could change everything, especially in the rain.

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,037 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:03 PM

I have a 13inch color tv with a built in vcr that I carry sometimes. Also have a dvd player for it. Most of the time, especially if I'm solo, I'll just take a good book to read.

#4 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:27 PM

I take nothing more than an iPod and speakers for it and reading material. BUT, since the video iPod can output to a TV, I suppose one of those portable DVD player screens could be used as a display. That combo might be the friendliest on batteries without any spinning discs and no discs to store. I wonder if there are any smallish (13"?) flat panels that could be used for such a purpose.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#5 Pete D

Pete D

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:14 PM

Umm, put it all in one box and call it a laptop computer? :D

#6 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:29 PM

The laptop is my prefered method of entertainment.

I can play DVD's at night. I use it to download my photos, listen to music and check my route with navigation software programs. And of course it's nice to have for email from the road and the ability to search things online if necessary. I also keep a copy of my trucks factory service manual as a pdf, so if I have an mechanical issue on the road, I can check with the pdf manual for possible solutions.

I keep it in the camper in the evening and I have a RAM Laptop Mount in the cab for daytime use -

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#7 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:56 PM

You can use the 1/8 inch headphone jack and various options (like in place of your XM) to play the sound from the laptop on your car stereo. Just make sure you are parked while enjoying the movie...

#8 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:08 AM

I'm using an old Laptop for navigation with Delorme Street Atlas and GPS. The same Laptop is connected to the trucks stereo for entertainment. The kids love to watch their movies on long trips with with good sound.

I bought the laptop stand on eBay, but it's parts are very simple hardware items. Mostly 1/2" galvanized pipe with the exception of the actual deskplate. But this is something that can be made out of wood, aluminum etc.

The power source for the laptop is installed into the center console. The cables run through the hose up to the desk plate.

Here are a few pics of the stand in my truck:

Attached Thumbnails

• Laptop Desk 001 (Medium).jpg
  • Laptop Desk 002 (Medium).jpg
  • Laptop Desk 003 (Medium).jpg
  • Laptop Desk 004 (Medium).jpg
  • Laptop Desk 005 (Medium).jpg

03 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, D Cab, Air-Lift, Schroth Safety Harness, Recaro Seat (finally) on board laptop w GPS, ARB Front Bumper, Manual Hubs.

#9 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:14 AM

cabezon23, one of the coolest things i have seen here (laptop mount)
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#10 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:16 AM

I'm using above stand for more than a year now without any problems. The laptop is attached with Velcro to the base.

The disadvantages of this system are:
- Visibility of the laptop might attract thieves (the broken window would be more expensive than the old laptop)
- Hinges of the laptop screen wear out if you run regularly on very bumpy "roads"
- Hard Disk tends to wear out much quicker than on regular use laptops

The advantages:
- cheaper than most GPS solutions
- more versatile than only a GPS (here you have movies, music, GPS, email, Internet, games etc)
- much bigger screen
03 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, D Cab, Air-Lift, Schroth Safety Harness, Recaro Seat (finally) on board laptop w GPS, ARB Front Bumper, Manual Hubs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users