• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Just bought a Weber Q100. I bought it new from Home Depot for $150.00 which seemed like a good deal. I have not taken it out of the box yet. Hoping that my WTW brethren can offer some reviews/comments/opinions on the following:
1. Value for the money.
2. Suitability for a Hawk
3. Durability
4. Most importantly ... can it burn a good steak?
5. Best place to store in a Hawk

Thanks

#2 Chukar Hunter

Chukar Hunter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationVirginia City Nevada

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Just bought a Weber Q100. I bought it new from Home Depot for $150.00 which seemed like a good deal. I have not taken it out of the box yet. Hoping that my WTW brethren can offer some reviews/comments/opinions on the following:
1. Value for the money.
2. Suitability for a Hawk
3. Durability

Thanks

I got one and love it. Best Camp BBQ I ever had. the only problem is storage in the Hawk. Usually when ever I go any where I am towing a boat or ATV trailer so that is where it ends up

#3 Chukar Hunter

Chukar Hunter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationVirginia City Nevada

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Two upgrades I am going to do is get the gridle pan that is available for it and a friend of mine added a thermometer to his thru a small hole in the lid.

#4 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

We've been carrying ours for three years now and love it, cook 90% of our meals on it. To carry inside the camper or other rigs we bought a wheeled carrying bag to keep things clean. When in the pickup bed we only use the basic cover.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#5 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

I have one as well. I got the wheeled BBQ bag on clearance at camping world. Before that I went to ACE and bought a big enough plastic box to store it and BBQ tools etc. Since I have the four door Ram, I keep it in the back seat with the seats folded up. When I bought the plastic boxes @ Ace I got enough sizes to utilize the back seating area. I got two plastic drawer units to put on the floor. The tops align with the under seat level so I can stack the larger boxes on them. Also cool is I can pull the drawers out to gain access with the truck door open. When My camper it raised I put those two stackable drawers on top of the refer and they contain all my cooking staples etc. I have larger boxes for clothes etc. I also have the wheeled stand for the BBQ, which you can see in use in this photo:
IMG_0212.jpg

#6 busboy66

busboy66

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

1. Value for the money.
Great value for the money - bought mine 4 years ago for more $$. We use it all year round. Never a problem. Have it hooked up to a 20 pounder at home and use the little tanks on the road.

2. Suitability for a Hawk Eagle
It fits in the Eagle with a few bungees by the cab window - doesn't move
I keep it covered with the weber cover

3. Durability
Built from cast aluminum, grill is cast iron. You should have no issues, just keep the grill clean

Absolutely - just let it warm up on high for 5 or 10 minutes
We grill veggies, steak, burgers, chicken, fish what have you - we have a griddle that fits on top for great bacon and eggs - works great

IMO, the concept of this grill is a bit different than normal. Most grills have a gazillion BTU's that heat the air and the food inside the unit. The Q100 has a ~9000 BTU burner where the flame is solely dedicated to heating the grill surface which makes for a good char and great flavor.

Can't answer that

#7 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Forgot to mention that we added a hose to connect to any bulk tank and carry a 1 gallon tank with an extra hose in case the small tank runs out and we have to use the larger tank. Great BBQ.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Doesn't anybody put theirs under the bench seat? Mine fits. Like a glove, but it does fit. If it was 3/4" larger in any dimension, it wouldn't work.

I put it under the left bench lid with the BBQ facing me. It's best if I put the seat pad up on the bed, out of the way.
I lower the right side of the BBQ in at an angle, then the left. When we're doing something rough (Steele Pass, etc.) I'll throw a shoe or similar to further wedge it so it can't move. Getting to the turnbuckle port is a pain, but I can undo the buckles (blind) with the Webber in there. To install the 'buckles I need to remove the Webber.

Cooking is fine, as mentioned it's not a BTU monster, but pre-warming helps. Love the cast iron grill. It's tight enough veggies, etc. don't fall through.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#9 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

Forgot to mention that we added a hose to connect to any bulk tank and carry a 1 gallon tank with an extra hose in case the small tank runs out and we have to use the larger tank. Great BBQ.

Ditto, I just use one of the campers tanks for the BBQ. The Weber hose is only $25 @ Amazon

#10 busboy66

busboy66

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

Action photo!

Coupla tri-tips and taters

Attached Thumbnails

• weber.JPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users