Coop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra CA

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

Great idea...!!
May take a little more time and effort to initially install than the double sided tape, but...would have the advantage of allowing easier/better positioning and stretching of headliner, plus...as you say, the easy overall removability.
Also...just a thought has occurred to me! One of the main places condensation accumulates (at least in my camper. In fact, I've even had a thin crust of ice form?) is along the ceiling "trim strips". My thought is that; that is because the trim strips are essentially in direct contact (thru' the thin ceiling fabric) with the aluminum roof tubes, which conduct the outside cold directly to the them causing the condensation/icing. Perhaps...with a double layer of Velcro between the trim strips and the aluminum tubes, that maybe just enough insulation to isolate them from the cold and...maybe help prevent some condensation...??
In fact...if you could get the Velcro that secures with the pre-applied adhesive/thin foam on the back (instead of metal staples) that would provide even more thickness/insulation, and eliminate metal to metal contact as well.

Coop.

#12 Pete D

Pete D

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:40 PM

Anything one can do to stop the direct, metallic, conductive, transfer of heat from inside to out will help keep condensation from forming and a couple of layers of velcro would certainly do that.

As will even a small amount of insulation on the inside metal.

#13 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:38 AM

The older campers were known for this. To prevent it we started using an 1/8" foam tape along the aluminum under the headliner. This made a type of barrier to help prevent that problem and it seems to work well.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#14 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:55 AM

The older campers were known for this. To prevent it we started using an 1/8" foam tape along the aluminum under the headliner. This made a type of barrier to help prevent that problem and it seems to work well.

Very good to know! :D :)

Ben is standing by to fix that problem for all you old campers out there with a factory new ATC!

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users