• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

just picked up our new 2008 tacoma trd access cab 4x4. retiring our 2002 4x4 tacoma 4 banger.now i have a problem.removed airbags from o2 and found out that the spring placement is different ,o2 springs are even with frame,08 springs are offset towards the outside of frame. no problem on passenger side just have to make bracket to work as spacer as shock is on the front side of axle,but on drivers side shock is mounted on rear of axle so when air bag is placed on spring it contacts shock,enough that i would think it could cause problems ,trd package shock is a bilstein thin tube so any after market shock would bind for sure.i tried placing bag on front of axle but bag the hits gas tank not a good idea!,also i don't know how having 1 bag on front and 1 bag on back of axle would work (air bags are firestone ride rites (double donut shaped) if any body has solved this problem or knows where to find the answer i sure could use the help.i tend to think if i called firestone i might get the run around or they would only sell a complete new kit if they have one for 2008,last time i questioned them i got blown off. drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

#2 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:36 PM

It looks like the airbag kit for the newer tacoma has the bag mounted above the axle. Here are the instructions.

http://www.fsip.com/...07/rrin2407.pdf

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#3 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:18 PM

lg,

Congratulations on the new Tacoma. I just ordered the Ride-Rite kit for my truck and will be installing in the next few weeks. I can't help you with your retrofit but would be interested in any suggestions or advice you might have on the '02 Tacoma install. The instructions seem fairly straightforward but the reality is not always that way. Thanks.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#4 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:12 AM

thanks jimjxsn and dln. after posting question i found the info you Jimjxsn posted and the wife said she would buy me a new set for the 2008 tacoma so she would not have to put up with me trying to fit set from 2002 tacoma! dln in regards to mounting firestone kit on 2002 tacoma its pretty straight forward,you do have to drill frame on each side for two mounting bolts, in a previous post i related how i broke a frame on tacoma where brackets mount to frame,i suggest to anyone that adds kit to 2002 style tacoma to box in frame on passenger side (drivers side is boxed in that area to hold brake valve fitting) i don't know if firestone has changed brackets to take care of this or not. i will take pictures of the install on the 2008 tacoma.just ordered set today so it will be a few days before i install.drive slow and enjoy (its going to be hard now that i have a v/6 6 speed!) "its the journey"

#5 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:39 AM

Thanks for the response lq, I'll keep you posted on the install. I think you (or your wife) made the right decision on the air bag kit.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#6 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:47 AM

LQ,

Sounds like your wife is pretty sharp on letting you modify some things.:)

I would suggest the electric pump if she is going camping with you.:)

Most opinions on the thread are from the male half of the duo and you can throw those out the window when the better half starts using the sink.:D
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#7 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:51 AM

Most opinions on the thread are from the male half of the duo and you can throw those out the window when the better half starts using the sink.:D

Do you know why women are so powerful?

They have half the money, and ALL the "better half". ;)

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#8 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:13 AM

Do you know why women are so powerful?

They have half the money, and ALL the "better half". ;)

Mike

Half the money??? Most married couples that I know, if the husband tried to sign his paycheck the bank would call it a forgery.

What is your secret if you get to keep half, I think most on the thread would like to know??
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

#9 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:23 AM

Half the money??? Most married couples that I know, if the husband tried to sign his paycheck the bank would call it a forgery.

What is your secret if you get to keep half, I think most on the thread would like to know??

My wife is 10.5 years younger than me (I am 59) and I retired in Dec 1999.

So, my wife is the only one making money... I am spending money... hello new ATC camper! :D

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#10 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:06 PM

My wife is 10.5 years younger than me (I am 59) and I retired in Dec 1999.

So, my wife is the only one making money... I am spending money... hello new ATC camper! :D

Mike

My new hero:)
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users