• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Inspired others, especially the aluminum one, I embarked on making yet another one. My first two attempts involved specially ordered plexi. Don't waste your time with plexi, it won't hold up.

Since I don't know much about aluminum, I went the easy route: plywood. Half inch. Bent some aluminum pole clamps and made some supports, primed and painted. Then mounted on a yakima crossbar. Here is the result:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#2 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

Maybe you can see it better here, though in this pic it looks like it is in front of the glass and it's not, that's just a shadow:
Posted Image

How does it work? Amazingly well. Wind noise is cut down and that vacuum/sucking effect when you pass a truck going the other way is gone. So is the buffeting when you are just the right distance behind a big rig. Not sure if it improved mileage, but it didn't hurt. I'm guessing it must have improved a bit.

Two flaws though. The yakima doesn't have a strong enough grip to prevent the wind from pushing the fairing back until it hits the camper. That's where the block and duck tape came in- to add a spacer. Unfortunately, that ended up squeaking like crazy against the little rubber/plastic camper trim after every bump. Good news is that this sliding didn't happen constantly- only when total wind got up around 90. By that I mean forward land speed plus gust into our face. There must be a way to make the yak bar hold tighter. Time to experiment.

The other flaw is that I built it so that the mount is in the middle of the 45* angle. When the wind hit it, it can rotate the fairing on the axis of the bar so that it hits the camper and has a few inches between the bottom edge and the roof. I fixed this by building a little footing at the back edge that touches the roof. Works perfectly, but it isn't pretty.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#3 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am still trying to decide how I am going to do mine.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#4 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

I've been watching these post with a lot of interest. Now that it looks like fuel prices are never going to go down I have an even greater interest. I understand that wind deflectors divert bugs away from the camper but I don't' have a lot of difficulty washing the dead critters off when I get home from a trip. Some here say the wind noise is greatly diminished with the deflector but here again this doesn't seem to be a problem for Pam or me. I've scoured the internet and see tons of listings on how these things save on fuel but can't find any test results or actual figures (except for long haul semi trucks) on fuel savings. Further, it seems to me that sticking a sail up into the air flow might take even more fuel to overcome the drag. Since I'm often wrong on many things...... would someone here please produce some real data on fuel savings.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#5 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

I've been watching these post with a lot of interest. Now that it looks like fuel prices are never going to go down I have an even greater interest. I understand that wind deflectors divert bugs away from the camper but I don't' have a lot of difficulty washing the dead critters off when I get home from a trip. Some here say the wind noise is greatly diminished with the deflector but here again this doesn't seem to be a problem for Pam or me. I've scoured the internet and see tons of listings on how these things save on fuel but can't find any test results or actual figures (except for long haul semi trucks) on fuel savings. Further, it seems to me that sticking a sail up into the air flow might take even more fuel to overcome the drag. Since I'm often wrong on many things...... would someone here please produce some real data on fuel savings.

Eyeballing from the 1500 miles I've had with the fairing, I see little to no difference in mpg. Certainly not worse, but measurable improvement is within a margin of error so far. For me, the plusses were 1) reduced 'vacuum' effect when passing trucks and vehicles in the oncoming lane and 2) reduced wind noise. A big checkmark on both accounts. The hoped for mpg improvement has yet to be felt.

I wonder if the vaccum effect is worse on a half ton? Less mass and stiffness in the chassis being the cause. Just a guess.
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,371 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'm kind of with chnlisle on this one and thanks Brett13 for your response. I like to build and design things and this has been a project I've had on the list. But I'm old enough to know I want to only tackle the necessary projects.

Our older camper sits low over the cab with only a small space between the top of the cab and the bottom of the cabover. Also our cabover is a little narrower than some newer campers. We do not get much wind noise - as least that we find in any way annoying - and don't get knocked around much by passing semis.

On this one I'm going to go with the "If it ain't broke................" even as much as I'd like to build one!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

I'm kind of with chnlisle on this one and thanks Brett13 for your response. I like to build and design things and this has been a project I've had on the list. But I'm old enough to know I want to only tackle the necessary projects.

Our older camper sits low over the cap with only a small space between the top of the cab and the bottom of the cabover. Also our cabover is a little narrower than some newer campers. We do not get much wind noise - as least that we find in any way annoying - and don't get knocked around much by passing semis.

On this one I'm going to go with the "If it ain't broke................" even as much as I'd like to build one!

I've decided to ad a couple of exterior 12V outlets instead.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

I think we all realize that the easiest way to save on gas by lowering drag is to drive slower. I don't have plans to add a fairing unless I find myself having to travel on the intestates more often (doubt that will happen). In that case, the fairing would be to reduce noise in the cab, not improve fuel efficiency.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#9 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

My prototype reduced the wind noise coming from my roof rack enormously, which causes me to drive faster unless i pay close attention to the speedo. Probably end up hurting my mileage 'til I recalibrate my auditory speed sensor...

#10 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

unless I find myself having to travel on the intestates more often...

That's my issue- lots 'o highway time.
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users