• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mrmtbaldy

mrmtbaldy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:30 AM

Hello all, I have been a fan of this site for about a year while I looked for my ideal 8' cabover Alaskan. I finally found it, but it's a little rougher than I anticipated. There is some rot in both the rear corners, and it is missing the lower front window (the one that mates with the truck's back window). Also, the cabover portion of the camper sags a bit and hits the roof of my truck, and the pirelli webbing is shot throughout. Is there anyone who has an extra window i can buy for a cabover? I believe it is slightly larger than those of the non cabover design. Also has anyone found a reliable source for the pirelli webbing without having to pay and arm and a leg for it? Thanks

Pictures to come...

#2 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

hi and welcome.
i have a 64 10' nco that i restored and just got a 75 10'co that sounds about the same shape as yours.on the 64, i substituted a lot of stuff from home depot for original seals,window trim,outside drip gaurds,etc. it may not be factory spec ,but works just great and at 50 bucks original cost and 200(or so)bucks materials, i have a beautiful,warm fun camper that i can use frequently and easily.can't wait to get the bigger 75 redone.on that one , i'm starting at 250 bucks purchase price.

wes

#3 mrmtbaldy

mrmtbaldy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

hi and welcome.
i have a 64 10' nco that i restored and just got a 75 10'co that sounds about the same shape as yours.on the 64, i substituted a lot of stuff from home depot for original seals,window trim,outside drip gaurds,etc. it may not be factory spec ,but works just great and at 50 bucks original cost and 200(or so)bucks materials, i have a beautiful,warm fun camper that i can use frequently and easily.can't wait to get the bigger 75 redone.on that one , i'm starting at 250 bucks purchase price.

wes

Gotcha, what did you use for the seals?

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

pirelli seal material

http://www.foamprodu...ml/webbing.html

$.85 cents a foot in the 100 foot roll.....you'll need it

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#5 mrmtbaldy

mrmtbaldy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

pirelli seal material

http://www.foamproducts.net/html/webbing.html

$.85 cents a foot in the 100 foot roll.....you'll need it

Thanks Rusty. The website says they are out of stock of the pirelli webbing, do you know if the stuff next to it will work as a substitute?

Thanks, Dan

#6 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

i used 3inch wide rubber seal material from home depot. i think it was meant for garage doors. it came in 15 ft rolls and fairly cheap. i trimmed the square edges off and cut to fit and attached it with metal linolium floor edge strips to bottom edge of top shell. haven't needed inside edges done yet. it's shape looks like a 3inch wide flat with 3/8 inch "T" sides.works great. we've been in 70mile/hr wind and rain at pacific beach and in 35 degree weather

wes

#7 mrmtbaldy

mrmtbaldy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:33 AM

As promised, a couple pictures of the rig.

Attached Thumbnails

• 080.JPG
  • 087.JPG

#8 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

that looks in great shape compared to the "75"10'co i just got.the closer i look. the more things i find that need attention. i finally got it into the garage to start working on it.guess i'll start roaming home depot again.

wes

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG

#9 coloradocamper

coloradocamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

What is so special about the Pirelli material vs rubber strips, that justifies the added premium??

Looks like some have used the 3" wide rubber strips to seal...how has that worked out?

#10 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

The pirelli material is a true latex rubber with embedded fibers bi-directionally molded into the strip

It retains its flat shape while configuring to the skin and minor deviations which change with every raise and lower of the top.

You install the material using the brass strips provided at manufacture and fit the pieces to the body, trimming the excess off the outside even with the brass...nice, neat, clean install which lasts about 5-7 years with outside exposure and longer inside.

tough material with no tearing of the rubber or scratching of the skin of the camper.

You can get it at Alaskan Campers in Chehalis, Wa.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users