#1 mynxd

mynxd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWest Vancouver, BC

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

On our trip home from ATC with the new camper, it rained hard and sideways while we were camped overnight in Glacier National Park. We had removed the storm flaps on day 1 of the trip (not thinking about Marty's instructions they were needed when it rained), as we like the sunlight and breeze with the upper windows open. Sure enough things got a little wet inside during the night (with the interioer flaps closed). We found it very difficult to put the stom flaps back on in the morning due to the height with the roof up. My wife made these as a substitute for the storm flaps. The awning rods are old fiberglass tent poles which will fold into the velcro when closing the camper. The clear plastic is the heaviest sold by Walmart in their sewing materials section. Now for a test during the next rainfall when camping!

Attached Thumbnails

• Awning 1.jpg
  • Awning 2.jpg
  • Awning 3.jpg

2010 Siverado 4x4, 2012 ATC Ocelot

#2 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

Great idea and great application, haven't seen it before but I'm guessing we'll see it more in the future.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

On our trip home from ATC with the new camper, it rained hard and sideways while we were camped overnight in Glacier National Park. We had removed the storm flaps on day 1 of the trip (not thinking about Marty's instructions they were needed when it rained), as we like the sunlight and breeze with the upper windows open. Sure enough things got a little wet inside during the night (with the interioer flaps closed). We found it very difficult to put the stom flaps back on in the morning due to the height with the roof up. My wife made these as a substitute for the storm flaps. The awning rods are old fiberglass tent poles which will fold into the velcro when closing the camper. The clear plastic is the heaviest sold by Walmart in their sewing materials section. Now for a test during the next rainfall when camping!

On my Bobcat I have the window flaps. I made supports from1/2" pvc that stays on the flaps all the time. When we pop up I open the flaps with the supports,they give shade plus keep the rain out while letting the light in.The flaps are held open about a foot out from the bottom of the window.Then the supports fold up with the flaps and the top can be lowered.
Do you not use the storm flaps? I think I posted some pictures at one point.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Here are some photos of the way I hold the flaps up. The front passenger side flap stays rolled up so if I don't want to open the flaps but want light and air in I can just open the inside flap and window.
Frank

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0138.jpg
  • DSCN0158.jpg
  • DSCN3168.jpg
  • DSCN3275.jpg

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 mynxd

mynxd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWest Vancouver, BC

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Here are some photos of the way I hold the flaps up. The front drivers side flap stays rolled up so if I don't want to open the flaps but want light and air in I can just open it from the inside.
Frank

Frank, on your bobcat, are the flaps removeable (I can't see from the photos)? I notice your storm flaps have velcro on the outside, so they can be rolled up and kept open. Is this something you added, or did they come this way? As can be seen in my pics above (awning1.jpg), there is no velcro on the outside of the flaps (except for where the removable part of the flap attaches to the permanently attached part of the flap.

Thanks, Grant
2010 Siverado 4x4, 2012 ATC Ocelot

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

Frank, on your bobcat, are the flaps removable (I can't see from the photos)? I notice your storm flaps have velcro on the outside, so they can be rolled up and kept open. Is this something you added, or did they come this way? As can be seen in my pics above (awning1.jpg), there is no velcro on the outside of the flaps (except for where the removable part of the flap attaches to the permanently attached part of the flap.

Thanks, Grant

Grant,my flaps are sown on the velcro you see holds them in place when down. Seems like buyers didn't like the storm flaps so Marty kept them bet they are removable. FWC doesn't put them on at all anymore I have heard.
I like them it gives me choices,I like choices. I don't mind having to open them to get light and air.IMO the "awning" effect out weighs the fact that you need to open them up. I just stand on the step stool and they go up/down easily.
On my Ranger,the one in the photos I didn't need the stool but this Tundra is about 6" higher.
Frank

#7 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

Or these... http://dodgeram.org/.../WinAwnings.htm

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users