• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Octopus33

Octopus33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:34 AM

Hello - I've been reading up on different topics on WTW for awhile, but this is my first post. I'm currently on the hunt for either an FWC Eagle of ATC Bobcat to fit on my 2002 Tacoma (6' bed). I came across a FWC Ranger that would fit in the bed of my truck, but stick out past the end of my tailgate 4'' (with tailgate down). I'm already set up with beefier suspension. OME coil overs, rear shocks and full Dakar Leaf pack. No airbags currently.

I have concerns about the weight distribution - having weight that far behind the rear axle. As well as more difficult access to hitch and having a decreased departure angle for 4x4ing.

The upside is that these older Rangers seem to be much cheaper than Eagles that I have seen pop up for sale. An email sent to FWC stated that I could cause damage to my truck by using this particular camper. I was just looking for more feedback from some other people. Love to hear your opinions.

Thanks.

#2 Roger

Roger

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:39 AM

Hello ... 2002 Tacoma (6' bed). I came across a FWC Ranger that would fit in the bed of my truck, but stick out past the end of my tailgate 4'' (with tailgate down). I'm already set up with beefier suspension. OME coil overs, rear shocks and full Dakar Leaf pack. No airbags currently.

I have concerns about the weight distribution - having weight that far behind the rear axle. As well as more difficult access to hitch and having a decreased departure angle for 4x4ing.

... An email sent to FWC stated that I could cause damage to my truck by using this particular camper. I was just looking for more feedback from some other people....r your opinions.

Thanks.

Do you do a lot of off road driving?

Do you tow?

I had a Ranger for my 4 Banger T100 with an 8 foot bed and it could go almost anywhere and it was not 4x4.

What are your expectations for this truck/camper combo?

Thanks,

Roger

#3 Jon&Sue_DeArman

Jon&Sue_DeArman

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPoulsbo, Washington

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

although the Ranger is listed as only 780 lbs, when you put things in it including what ever options the previous owner has in it; it can can top 1000 lbs. That is way overweight for any Tacoma and with a 4 inch overhang past the tailgate, I would be reluctant to travel to the 7-11 store, much less off road. Either get a bigger truck or look for a smaller camper. I own both a T100 w/ Ranger and a 2004 Tacoma. The previous post is correct. With a beefed up T100 or Tundra that Ranger will go anywhere short of "Ultra High Clearance Jeep Trails"

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

sample pictures ...

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010029.JPG
  • Ranger on a Toyota Tacoma.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

more pics ...

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010034.JPG
  • Ranger on Tacoma Short Bed.jpg

Attached Files

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#6 riz

riz

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:34 AM

works for me. Posted Image
It only takes an instant to make a footprint in the sand... It sometimes takes a lifetime to find the beach.

#7 Octopus33

Octopus33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for the pictures Stan and Riz - really gave some perspective.

Riz - how do you like it? Would you recommend it or should I hold out for an eagle or bobcat?

#8 riz

riz

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

Thanks for the pictures Stan and Riz - really gave some perspective.

Riz - how do you like it? Would you recommend it or should I hold out for an eagle or bobcat?

I like the extra space you get with the Ranger. You get quite a bit more storage space, and I'm 6'4" tall. I don't fit on the downstairs bed in an eagle. I don't do a lot of four wheeling, but have had no problems when I have. I have Timbrens in back to help carry the load. Yes... I am at or slightly over the GVW in my 4 cylinder Tacoma most of the time. I haven't found it to be a problem. Toyota says 5100 lbs GVW and thats where I'm at. I've got heavy duty shocks and the best tires available. I push my vehicle hard and it delivers. There are a lot of options in the truck camper world... I found what works for me and have no regets. Good luck with whatever you choose. Just one more idea... You might like to look at an older Fleet. They're wider than the Ranger or Eagle and come right to the end of the tailgate on a Tacoma. I think the Fleet/Tacoma combo is one of the nicest setups out there. Here's a pic of one I used to have: Posted Image
It only takes an instant to make a footprint in the sand... It sometimes takes a lifetime to find the beach.

#9 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

:shudders:

#10 tnscoots

tnscoots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip