Heater Operation

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:48 PM

hey all, well i feel pretty silly asking this one but what better place...tried to fire up the heater last night and couldn't get any heat. it was just blowing cold air? i have used it before in may but couldn't remember the steps we took to get it running...my manuals are all deep in storage...what are the steps you guys take, in order, when you fire that up? turn gas on outside, turn gas on inside, flip breaker, turn on switch on thermostat...silly question but i need to get it figured out by tonight...the snow is on the way :D !

also, drained the battery last night when i left it running...not all night but for like an hour thinking it would eventually "warm up". bummer...need to get dual batts asap! thanks in advance...oh yea, it a 92-93' ranger II. cheers

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#2 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:07 PM

erod,

The heater should fire with the thermostat, electric, and gas turned on. The fan comes on first and the unit fires as soon as it gets gas, usually 20 to 30 seconds. I usually fire the heater to draw gas to the refrigerator before lighting it because the heater draws gas much faster and is behind the fridge in the gas piping. I'd try pulling the outside cover and checking out the combustion area for dirt, bugs, etc. around the burner area. I know this really isn't much help but I'm sure Ben, Stan, or other members can add more.
Good Luck.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#3 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:23 PM

erod,
What I do is pretty much the same as DLN. Do you hear the igniter ticking when you turn on the heater? You will hear the fan running first then there should be a ticking sound from the igniter when it tries to get the furnace start.

Alex

#4 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:30 PM

thanks guys! didn't here the igniter, maybe i should check that area for obstruction (will do)...i have an ice box so no interference from the fridge propane. one thing i forgot to ask is, does the gas valve on the inside need to be open? its the valve i turn on to use the stove...thanks again, stoked to get this figured out! cheers!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#5 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:37 PM

On my ATC Bobcat, there is only 1 valve, the one on the propane tank, to control the propane. The igniter should still try to ignite the furnace even there is no propane. Oh, just something obvious, use soapy water to check if there is propane flowing/leak. I use 409 cause I'm lazy. :D

#6 NJTaco

NJTaco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:59 PM

What model furnace? Depending on the model...

Check battery voltage...if the voltage is low, the fan does not turn fast enough to generate enough airflow to tell the circuit board to open the gas valve and try to light.

Insect infestation (wasp nest, etc. in the combustion chamber or intake and exhaust tubes) will generate the same symptom.

#7 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:12 PM

What model furnace? Depending on the model...

Check battery voltage...if the voltage is low, the fan does not turn fast enough to generate enough airflow to tell the circuit board to open the gas valve and try to light.

Insect infestation (wasp nest, etc. in the combustion chamber or intake and exhaust tubes) will generate the same symptom.

good stuff njtaco, thanks...

#8 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:09 PM

My heater didn't kick on the last time I tried it. My aux battery was also low on charge. I didn't put 2 & 2 together then, but that makes sense. I had plenty of propane, enough to make coffee on the stove, but I was not able to get warm air to generate from the vent.

I open the propane bottle 1/4 of a turn and then open the red valve inside before turning on the thermostat. I just assumed that was how it worked. When the heat didn't come on I figured I needed the heater serviced, now I'm thinking it may have been the low battery.

FWIW, I picked up a small trickle charger at NAPA and I use that for a day or two before heading out to charge my battery. I don't know if you have anywhere you can plug in a trickle charger during the day right now, but that's an option.

We got snow today too. Thanks for sending it my way!

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:28 AM

Well, is yours electronic ignition? Not sure when they started using those. If its not you'll have to manually light the pilot light. I usually light the stove first just to help get a little gas going through the lines.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:15 AM

one thing i forgot to ask is, does the gas valve on the inside need to be open? its the valve i turn on to use the stove...

Yes....

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users