• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rainlr

rainlr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hello everyone! New to the Four Wheel Camper experience, just ordered the Hawk model for my F150. Looking forward to many years of new travel adventures. My question concerns the upgraded appliance package. My wife wants the flush mounted appliances package for aesthetic reasons and for the additional counter space it would provide. Since we are new I was wondering if the more experienced travelers think it is worth the $600 additional cost, we still have time to change. Thanks so much.

#2 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hello everyone! New to the Four Wheel Camper experience, just ordered the Hawk model for my F150. Looking forward to many years of new travel adventures. My question concerns the upgraded appliance package. My wife wants the flush mounted appliances package for aesthetic reasons and for the additional counter space it would provide. Since we are new I was wondering if the more experienced travelers think it is worth the $600 additional cost, we still have time to change. Thanks so much.

We have an Eagle (a bit smaller than Hawk) without the flush mounts. So I have no experience except to say we have not felt the need for more counter space. Actually we found the counter space probably a bit better than what we had in an apartment in New York City. But looks is another question. You may be spending a lot of time in your Hawk so it should look the way you want it to.

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

I will not comment on the $600 adder aspect but I personally installed SMEV appliances in my unit and definitely enjoy them. With the right sink you can make a cover for it and potentially get the same usefulness. For the stock stove even with a cover over it, the thing sticks up over an inch which is a bit annoying.

If you leave the stove under the slideout area then its not big deal since that area is also blocked when the bed is out so I don't count it as truly usable space. I moved mine over the fridge area so I could use the stove with my bed extension out and if I didn't have SMEV appliances I'd basically have no counter space with the bed out.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#4 captainphx

captainphx

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, AZ

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

We got the upgraded appliances in our Raven that we purchased back in March. We have spent about 40 nights in it so far. My wife likes them a lot. She says they are easy to clean and she does like the counter space when the lids are closed. The sink and stove have worked very well so far. They look cool too. We have had no experience with the other type.

If you are considering the Dometic frig, let me know. I have some very specific concerns about that piece of ….. ah, equipment.
Captainphx
FWC 2012 Raven
2013 Ford Raptor Supercrew
RPG Stage 3 with 2.5 inch and 4.0 inch bumpstops
Cave Creek, AZ

#5 Spitfire

Spitfire

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

We got the upgraded appliances in our Raven that we purchased back in March. We have spent about 40 nights in it so far. My wife likes them a lot. She says they are easy to clean and she does like the counter space when the lids are closed. The sink and stove have worked very well so far. They look cool too. We have had no experience with the other type.

If you are considering the Dometic frig, let me know. I have some very specific concerns about that piece of ….. ah, equipment.

I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with your frig. What make and model do you have?
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 2013 FWC Hawk

#6 rainlr

rainlr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Thanks to all for the advice, not sure yet what we’ll end up with, too many decisions. Thanks again!

#7 rainlr

rainlr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

I was leaning towards the 80-liter less draw on power, almost went with the 3-way but wanted to save the propane for heater and hot water . Doesn’t sound as if your experience with the frig has been a good one. Would be interested to hear your concerns.
Thanks

#8 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Many people, myself included, have replaced their three-way fridge with an electric only. Quite a few choices out there. Engel and ARB are popular. Lately the Truckfridge brand has been discussed a lot. I have an Isotherm which is identical to the Truckfridge. Lots of threads have already discussed pros and cons that you can research. I like the look of the SMEV equipment but if it is a matter of cost, I'd rather spend the money on a 12 volt fridge. If you can afford to upgrade the appliances and the fridge, I'd do that.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#9 captainphx

captainphx

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, AZ

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with your frig. What make and model do you have?

I have the Dometic 110, the largest one FWC offers. First of all, let me say that the frig keeps things very, very cool and the freezer keeps things very, very frozen. But…we found that going down rough roads, or even just hitting a large bump, like a speed bump, would cause the frig door to come ajar. We also found that the freezer door would open as well. Sometimes we would get into the camper to find the frig door cracked open and when we opened the door, stuff fell out of the freezer. The freezer door (and frig door) needs a more positive latching device. We stopped by FWC in Woodland. They bent the latch at the top of the frig door and that stopped the frig door from opening on bumps, but I noticed that while the top of the door is nice and tight, the bottom seems like it is not, but it works. I have thought about using velcro for the freezer door, but have not tried it yet. Lastly, the frig light stays on when the door is closed. At night the we can see the rubber seal around the door is glowing, telling us the light is still on. Pushing on the door, turns the light off, but comes right back on when I let go. The light's switch inside the frig is non-adjustable. My wife hates that glowing rubber seal all night long, not to mention the obvious, but small power draw. FWC said to call Dometic. I have not done that yet, but I will. Other than that, it works great.

Captainphx
FWC 2012 Raven
2013 Ford Raptor Supercrew
RPG Stage 3 with 2.5 inch and 4.0 inch bumpstops
Cave Creek, AZ

#10 Spitfire

Spitfire

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

I have the Dometic 110, the largest one FWC offers. First of all, let me say that the frig keeps things very, very cool and the freezer keeps things very, very frozen. But…we found that going down rough roads, or even just hitting a large bump, like a speed bump, would cause the frig door to come ajar. We also found that the freezer door would open as well. Sometimes we would get into the camper to find the frig door cracked open and when we opened the door, stuff fell out of the freezer. The freezer door (and frig door) needs a more positive latching device. We stopped by FWC in Woodland. They bent the latch at the top of the frig door and that stopped the frig door from opening on bumps, but I noticed that while the top of the door is nice and tight, the bottom seems like it is not, but it works. I have thought about using velcro for the freezer door, but have not tried it yet. Lastly, the frig light stays on when the door is closed. At night the we can see the rubber seal around the door is glowing, telling us the light is still on. Pushing on the door, turns the light off, but comes right back on when I let go. The light's switch inside the frig is non-adjustable. My wife hates that glowing rubber seal all night long, not to mention the obvious, but small power draw. FWC said to call Dometic. I have not done that yet, but I will. Other than that, it works great.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Something to keep in mind when I order my camper next year.
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 2013 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users