11 replies to this topic

#1 Dern

Dern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:23 AM

Hola,

I have an '05 Granby with a Norcold three way. Back in June I plugged it in to 110 to get it jump started for an upcoming camping trip. About 30 minutes into it, I hear a "Pop". I open up the rear exterior panel and find ammonia spewing out. Well I know what that means. I officially have a dead refrigerator. I'm somewhat knowledgeable when it comes to these things and know that I'm better off getting a new one than getting it fixed.

I haven't pulled it out as of yet to see what the official cause was. The only thing that I can think of is that something was chafing on the cooling unit.(We do a lot of offroad Baja stuff). This unit had no signs of wear, i.e rust etc.

This summer and past summers, it has really struggled in the heat. Like all three ways, it does fine in the cooler months but hates those 100 degree days. Especially when it goes on for weeks. That being said, I think I'm over propane.

So, here's my question. Has anyone put an Engel Ice box conversion kit into a dead three way? I'm thinking since I now have essentially an ice box and it's already installed in its rightful place and I'm already set up with solar, this might be the logical way to go. Whatcha think?

http://www.engel-usa...emart&Itemid=59

Thanks in advance,
Darren

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:36 AM

$999 for a conversion kit?! :o

Seems to me you would be better off buying a a whole new 12 Volt fridge from Engel, Waeco, ARB, or Truckfridge. They run from about $500 to $800 depending on brand and model.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#3 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:31 AM

Definately get a new dc fridge. It's cheaper than the kit.

I replaced my 3-way with a 12 dc fridge and couldn't be happier.

Here's the link to my install:

http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/5437/

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

My Norcold fridge died a similar ammonia-spewing death near the beginning of a 3-week trip last year... Posted Image

I asked for input from WTW folks on what to do in this thread.

I installed an Isotherm DC compressor fridge in place of the dead 3-way in this thread.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#5 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

I love my 12v compressor fridge. I can not see myelf ever going back to a 3-way.

I'd do a built in like the isotherm above if I had a few more bucks.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#6 Dern

Dern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:41 AM

Definately get a new dc fridge. It's cheaper than the kit.

I replaced my 3-way with a 12 dc fridge and couldn't be happier.

Here's the link to my install:

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5437/

Thanks for the past thread. It was very helpful. I like the fact that it fits right in the slot as if it were meant to be there. Now that you have had this unit for a while, have you done any R&D on it regarding HOT weather and rough bumpy roads? If so, please elaborate. Also, has your battery/solar set-up performed well for you for the necessary draw that the fridge requires. While we're at it, what do you have for solar/batteries?

Tharks in advance,
Darren

#7 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

Seems to me it makes sense to replace it with a 3-way and only use 12v if that is your preference. That way you would still have the propane option if you don't have the juice to keep everything cold.

I've had a few 3-ways in different campers and I've always been happy with the performance of propane. It sips the fuel and if anything, I'm turning it down to keep the food from freezing. 120v at home to get everything cold, 12v on the road and propane when I reach camp.

#8 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

12v fridge definitely recommended. I run 120 watt panel and the supplied 79 amp hour FWC battery with no issues. The fridge will run for 2 days likely with no sun. I have one of the Engel front opening fridges, not many on the site with them but highly recommend if it suits your needs. Zero issues so far and easy install. Save your propane for cooking and heat and no fussing with the fridge. Quiet, efficient, and easily makes ice!!
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#9 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the past thread. It was very helpful. I like the fact that it fits right in the slot as if it were meant to be there. Now that you have had this unit for a while, have you done any R&D on it regarding HOT weather and rough bumpy roads? If so, please elaborate. Also, has your battery/solar set-up performed well for you for the necessary draw that the fridge requires. While we're at it, what do you have for solar/batteries?

Tharks in advance,
Darren

The fridge works better than I had hoped. You basically set it and forget it. No need to worry about what angle you parked on anymore. I just finished a 6-week trip to the Colorado Rockies.....and hit numerous bumpy crappy jeep trails. The camper really got pounded on this last trip. The fridge never opened. It performed flawlessly.

Here is some pictures from the Colorado trip (bottom of page):
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3432/page__st__420

I took a 4 week trip to Arizona last January and a 6 week trip to Colorado (and numerous smaller trips)since my fridge install.....and it runs great. I have two 105 AH AGM Sears Diehard Platinum batteries....and a 120 watt solar system.

Most of the time the solar keeps up with my usage (lights, laptop charging, fridge, etc.), but sometimes....like when I encountered 4 or 5 days of stormy (no sun) weather....I needed to fire up the Honda 1000 generator to top off the batteries for a couple of hours.

During my Colorado trip the camper only had sun on the roof for two or three hours per day....so I had to use the generator there too.

I wouldn't recommend a dc only fridge unless you had adequate batteries and a solar system.....AND a generator for times when the sun doesn't shine. I guess you could always fire up the truck to charge the batteries but that would be a huge waste of resources....the Honda 1000 will run for 8 hours on a cup full of gasoline....and it's really quiet.

Here's the link to my solar install:
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4014/page__p__43436__fromsearch__1&#entry43436

Let me know if you have any further questions.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#10 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

The fridge works better than I had hoped. You basically set it and forget it. No need to worry about what angle you parked on anymore. I just finished a 6-week trip to the Colorado Rockies.....and hit numerous bumpy crappy jeep trails. The camper really got pounded on this last trip. The fridge never opened. It performed flawlessly.

X2
My experiences also. I have the same factory frig with the dual batteries and no solar. My batteries never dropped below 3/4 charge but I was on the move usually every other day. For my use, I have no need for solar or generators....yet.

If need be, the truck will be my generator.
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users