water lines in winter

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

Have a question for all you folks in the cold weather states. How do you prevent the water lines from freezing up in the winter while using the camper. This is a subject that has never really been covered by us over the years. I don't know why either, we produced a ton of campers at FWC that went to the colder weather states but I don't recall much information on what to do with the water system.

Feedback would be appreciated.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#2 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:11 PM

dump some RV antifreeze in the water tank and pump 'til it comes out the faucet

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:19 PM

How do you prevent the water lines from freezing up in the winter while using the camper.

Hi Ben,

When we use our FWC in the cold I keep the slider doors in front of the tank open so the warm air from us and the furnance will keep the tank warmer. A full tank will take longer to frezze than a near empty tank.

Friend had a Eagle on an Toyota Tundra and there was a tube to drain water out the back. Well that hose was exposed and would frezze and split.

Also when it is that cold I turn the refg off. And don't forget to top off the propane tank before you head out. Twice over the years it ran out overnight and of course it was the coldest night.:eek:

I always thought it would be neat to run a heater core with fan and use hot water from the engine with quick connects, like the back seat models in Landcruisers or 4-Runners. Then while driving the camper could be geting heat saturated. Or even an 12 volt battery powered unit that could be used while the engine was running.:rolleyes: humm.......

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:01 AM

I always thought it would be neat to run a heater core with fan and use hot water from the engine with quick connects, like the back seat models in Landcruisers or 4-Runners. Then while driving the camper could be geting heat saturated. Or even an 12 volt battery powered unit that could be used while the engine was running.:rolleyes: humm.......

I saw a product that did just that on "Trucks TV" several years ago. It was a heat exchanger connected to the engine coolant and came with a 12v pump. It was intended to be used as a shower on the trail - drop the inlet into a nearby lake or stream and get warm water out the shower head. I'm sure that could be modified to heat and circulate the water in the fresh water tank.

#5 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:18 AM

I saw a product that did just that on "Trucks TV" several years ago.

Is this it? DECKER'S proudly offers the famous "R&M SPECIALTY PRODUCTS" vehicle mounted camping shower system.

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#6 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:25 AM

That was one of my pet peeves with the FWC - the water pump froze and the way it was positioned made it very difficult to get at. I actually had to pry a board off that had been put in place with staples. The pump really should be accessible by removing a single panel that can be easily replaced.

#7 winter200

winter200

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:18 AM

On all the other rvs I have had I winterize them as follows.

Drain water Tank
Drain Water Heater
Use Water heater bypass kit
Blow out the lines with an aircompressor
Pump antifreeze in system through water pump and quick hookup kit
Run through faucets etc untill good an pink
Clean up the mess

I never put antifreeze in the main tank, in the past I have had systems that have had antifreeze in the tank and it is hard to get it out. There is a quick connect kit to attach right to the pump and a hose that goes right into the jug of antifreeze. I will usually sanatize the line in the spring after I flush out the system.

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:50 AM

Is this it? DECKER'S proudly offers the famous "R&M SPECIALTY PRODUCTS" vehicle mounted camping shower system.

Mike

I have one of those under my hood, put it in years ago. Have not used it in a while. The pump is a Sure Flo on demand and it is not made to have the hot water run back into it. As long as the engine coolant is hot and you have a water source, you can take as long of a shower as you want. (you have to run the engine to keep the coolant hot to the exchanger)

"the water pump froze..."

I put my own water pump in and it is angled down and the water line to the faucet runs up hill. so when the pump is off and the faucet open, the pump will drain when the tank is empty.

How do you prevent the water lines from freezing up in the winter while using the camper.

Let's not forget that Ben wanted to know when we are using the camper;)

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

Sorry , I wasn't paying attention. Actually I usually use a potable water carrier sitting on the cabinet to the left of the sink. Still use the sink/drain but not the camper water tank/pump.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

Hi Jim,

If it is a short trip I do the same as you with a 5-gallon jug next to the sink. For short trips this works better than filling the tank and draining it later.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users