201 replies to this topic

#51 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

Reviving an old thread. The original post by Ski3pin had him leaving some nice items on a wheel and driving away. We just completed a 10 day trip over the holidays. Preparing for the trip, I checked the fill in our propane tanks. To do so, I have to remove the external power chord and our grey water hose that I store in the propane tank area. Set them on the bumper and, you guessed it, forgot them and drove away. But I didn't realize this until the day before we left for our trip. No similar chords with the female end we need at Camping World, Lowe's, Home Depot, or Ace. :( We would be driving by FWC on Christmas Eve about 4:00 PM. Called to see if they would still be there. Alas, they were closing early that day. :wacko: Brenda saved me by leaving a new chord by the entry to FWC that we picked up as went by. :D Thank goodness as the trip was very cold and, being in Washington and Oregon campgrounds, we were able to plug in most nights and run the heater as much as we wanted. Thank you, Brenda!

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#52 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:16 PM

Let's see, done something really stupid..........................................

On this last trip I forgot to turn on the main 12V switch. As we were setting up camp the first night, I discovered my error when the interior lights would not work and the furnace would not start. I checked the chest fridge and it was at 34°, nice and cold so no harm done. It was a cold trip and the fridge did not kick on until the third day.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#53 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:49 PM

Dumb, dumb, dumb!   We were heading out for a 12 day trip and I didn't fill our 20# propane bottle on our Hawk.  I had filled it before our Vets Day trip and we had only used it a few nights.  I figured we would refuel midway.  

Normally, I estimate eight to ten nights usage, running a Wave 3 and cooking. To compound my mistake, I only brought two 1# bottles of gas, which I normally use for the Webber Q, but they can be adapted to run our camper.

You know those situations, where you make one mistake, which leads to another . . . that was my penance. 

Our fourth night out, Susan says to me, "The stove won't go on and I don't hear any gas."   Sure enough, we were dry.

I had thought I smelled a minor leak that morning, and had uncoupled the quick disconnect to our Wave since I distrusted the brass fittings.  We were gone for half a day on a hike, and perhaps it was leaking out.  We certainly didn't notice any smell when we returned.  I pulled out my only unused 1# bottle and used our 'steak saver' adapter to refuel our camper for the night.

Over the next day and a half I traded a chocolate bar for one bottle (Thanks Jim from Grass Valley!), and Lawnmower man waived away my five-spot and gave me a second bottle.  This was crucial, because once we left the springs we were headed for a camp at 5,000' in the Nelson Range.  It was 23F that night and we were able to cook a quick dinner, and run our Wave all night on low (1500BTU), and even boil water for coffee in the morning.  We could do this, in a remote cold place, because we still had Lawnmowerman's extra bottle in reserve, otherwise we would have been forced to drive out to Lone Pine.  Thanks Russel, you saved the day!!

Remember I said problems can multiply?

At last we were headed to civilization and buy some propane!  Our first stop was Stovepipe Wells, where at least fifty RV's were camped right behind the 'store'.  Mostly that place is full of tourist crap and has very few useful items.  They told Susan, "There is no propane in [Death] Valley!".  I mentioned that every RV out there was using propane, but they didn't care.  They suggested we drive to Beatty, which is about sixty miles round trip.  The sun was setting and we weren't up for it.

Well, we still had the last 1# bottle and decided to risk it and go up Lemoigne Cyn and deal with propane the next day.  

We parked two miles in and had a decent night, using limited heating.  The next morning as we drove up to the end of the road I spotted two rigs.  Hmmm, both were popups . . .  Sure enough, the 'Pinners were there with the Barkers'!  Small world, eh?   Ski3pin informed me tha the Chevron in Furnace Creek sold bulk propane.  Yay!   You would think the guys at Stovepipe would have known that.

Okay, if you are still with this sad story, it's almost done.  But not quite.

We hiked Lemoigne Cyn (9 mi.) and scooted down the rough road to arrive at the Chevron before 5pm.  We actually were there at 440pm.  I pulled up next to the the big tank with a smile on my face and told Susan to get the Guy and I would pull out the bottle.  She comes back a few minutes later and says they won't sell us propane after 430pm.    :(  :(  :(  (yeah, three unhappy faces, one for each of us and one for the dog!).    

I went up the the Guy, who was inside a glass booth, and I appealed to him; telling him we had been strung out for two days and couldn't even cook dinner.  Couldn't he help us out???

His answer, "No, because if I did it for you, maybe an RV would show up, and I wouldn't punch out at 5pm."  I was very disappointed, and Susan was also.  She's usually so sunny, it's rare to see her get upset.   We do not recommend this facility.  

We continued on our sorry way, and went into the Furnace Creek store where we desperately asked if they sell propane.  Yes!!! They have the little 1# bottles with their limited camping stuff.  Great!  I grabbed two, then I looked at the price:   $13.50! :blink:  I put one back.   The next day we found a good reason to go to Pahrump and filled our 20# tank.  No leaks for rest of trip.

So, learn from me, ladies and gentlemen!  Always fill your tank before a trip, no matter how much you think is in there.  The gauge is worthless.  And, I will always carry two or three small bottles as back up, especially in subfreezing conditions.  Lesson learned.  

Edited by Lighthawk, 07 January 2015 - 10:45 PM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#54 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

................ I pulled up next to the the big tank with a smile on my face and told Susan to get the Guy and I would pull out the bottle.  She comes back a few minutes later and says they won't sell us and propane  430pm.    :(  :(  :(  (yeah, three unhappy faces, one for each of us and one for the dog!).    

I went up the the Guy, who was inside a glass booth, and I appealed to him; telling him we had been strung out for two days and couldn't even cook dinner.  Couldn't he help us out???
His answer, "No, because if I did it for you, maybe an RV would show up, and I wouldn't punch out at 5pm."  I was very disappointed, and Susan was also.  She's usually so sunny, it's rare to see her get upset.   We do not recommend this facility.

Wow, that guy does not have a good work or good neighbor ethic, does he? We pulled into Furnace Creek to top off our tank New Years Day - quote from the Lady, "SR doesn't like to be cold in the camper and neither do I! We are going to fill the tank!" - and were greeted by a sign taped to the window, "Be back at 2:30." We spent some time over at the visitors center having an interesting talk with the NPS folks. The guy had returned and we got the tank filled. What a heartless soul to not fill your tank. I'm mad too.

It was great to run into you guys!  :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#55 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:38 PM

Don't be too mad at the man behind the glass. It is quite likely he would get reprimanded and maybe fired if he didn't clock out on time. Still, given the monopoly that Chevron station has on gas and propane in the park, you'd think that management could cover a little overtime to get a sale or two.

Alan

#56 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:37 AM

I do my best to not patronize any Xantera business.

I am haunted by waters

#57 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:41 AM

RE Auxiliary Propane Supply (even though I'm veering off-topic for this thread...):

Ever since I was camped in this real cool spot...and then ran out of propane (so I had been stupid, too) and had to cut short my stay in cool spot and drive down to the valley to re-fuel....

...I've been carrying one of these (full of propane) as my spare.  I already had it for car-camping with Coleman stove, so not an additional purchase.

It sits on the camper floor while driving and then I set it outside while camped.

Not as stowable as a 1 lb canister, but if I run out it lasts much longer and it's refillable.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#58 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:35 AM

RE Auxiliary Propane Supply (even though I'm veering off-topic for this thread...):

...I've been carrying one of these (full of propane) as my spare.  I already had it for car-camping with Coleman stove, so not an additional purchase.

It sits on the camper floor while driving and then I set it outside while camped.

Not as stowable as a 1 lb canister, but if I run out it lasts much longer and it's refillable.

I like it.  Could you let me know how big it is?  No dimensions are listed on the specs.  

I remember Gene showed me a cool little 3# fiberglass unit, but I think they might be pricey.  

If I can figure out how to stow a mid-size backup, power the Q, and ditch several one pounders, it would be a WIN.

I agree this thread is about stupid things we have done, but it's also cool if we learn how to be a smarter bear next time!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#59 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:30 AM

Guess I will come out and confess. I bought a hitch pin lock and a trailer lock and proceeded to hooked up my trailer to my truck. Then promptly lost BOTH sets of keys (were all on the same key ring). I may have to dig out the acetylene torch to get the hitch lock off. I am however very impressed with the durability and tamper resistance of the hitch lock.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#60 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

Ever since I was camped in this real cool spot...and then ran out of propane (so I had been stupid, too) and had to cut short my stay in cool spot and drive down to the valley to re-fuel....

I have a smaller steel tank that I bought when I won my Cook Partner stove from DD. It fits under my couch with my stove and other gear. I've always figured it would serve in a pinch if I ever ran out of propane as the fittings are the same. You might check out your local propane shop, that's where I got mine. They had tons of used propane cylinders of all sizes and as I recall it was quite cheap.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users