• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HiCap

HiCap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

I have a 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 2010 Hawk. On the drivers side the jack brackets block part of my side mirror view. I removed the bracket to improve my visibility for safety. I noticed that my camper was positioned close to drivers side. I have put jacks back on camper and in process of moving camper over as far a possible to passenger side of truck. This should improve my drivers side mirror vision. And since the most weight of camper is on drivers side, will improve weight distribution. (a small amount I know) I don't want to change my stock mirrors and hope this will improve my drivers side vision so I can keep jack bracket on truck.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to solve it?

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,576 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

The larger tow mirrors offered in the 3/4T+ chassis by most manufacturers improve visibility ALOT. Often you can swap them on or buy something aftermarket. Something to look into.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have pretty much the same set up as you only with the camper mirror option which I think is pretty much a must. It has the integrated wide angle mirror and I find no need to extend the head out at all, even with the jacks on.
Posted Image
I think your only solution is to upgrade your mirrors or get one of the temporary add on systems:
http://www.autoanyth...1A2980A0A0.aspx
Factory towing mirror:
http://www.etrailer....CFfFcMgodpSYA8g
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,576 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Also don't forget junkyards/ebay for sourcing used towing mirrors.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#5 HiCap

HiCap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I moved the camper from drivers side to passenger side. Moved it at most 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches, but it gives me good visibility on drivers side mirror. On my next trip I will know for sure if this solved my problem. The mirrors do look like you would have better visibility on 3/4 ton.

#6 bdold

bdold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:23 AM

I recently purchased a mirror on partsgeek.com. brand new for 75.ish?. Seemed reasonable to me. Some junk dealers charge more for used parts.
BD

2003 Dodge CTD- 2010 Grandby

2011 GSP, turbo charged hunting machine

#7 DavidO

DavidO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

I have a 2002 2500K the body is the same as the 1/2 ton model. I replaced both of my mirrors. Got mine at Amazon about $85 each they just plug right in and have power for direction and are heated. Simple to change out 3, 10mm(maybe 11mm) nuts a deep socket works best. To get to the nuts remove the trim on the inside of the door, just the small triangular one on the other side of mirror. Start at the top and pull out there are two clips undo the top one first. Under that will be a piece of foam with the nuts and plug underneath. It take about 15 minutes to change out both. The mirrors I got are called Kool-Vue GM74EL Exterior Mirror.
before.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• after.jpg

#8 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Welcome DavidO.

Nice find/price on those mirrors. I would do that swap in a heart beat if I had the standard mirrors.
Nice truck and I see what looks like a new FWC in the background?
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#9 HiCap

HiCap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:19 AM

I have a 2002 2500K the body is the same as the 1/2 ton model. I replaced both of my mirrors. Got mine at Amazon about $85 each they just plug right in and have power for direction and are heated. Simple to change out 3, 10mm(maybe 11mm) nuts a deep socket works best. To get to the nuts remove the trim on the inside of the door, just the small triangular one on the other side of mirror. Start at the top and pull out there are two clips undo the top one first. Under that will be a piece of foam with the nuts and plug underneath. It take about 15 minutes to change out both. The mirrors I got are called Kool-Vue GM74EL Exterior Mirror.
before.jpg

Since moving my camper to passenger side of bed as far as possible, my drivers side mirror view is improved. After next trip if I am not happy with mirrors will look into replacing them. Like the looks of your Kool-Vue mirror, has good price/reviews online.

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

Don't know about other brands, but the brackets on our Phoenix are a 'T' shaped section and are placed so that one of the "branches" sticks out from the camper to the left or right while the other branch and the leg wrap around a corner of the camper. I have given some thought to removing them and replacing them such that the "branch in the wind" is oriented fore or aft. Mostly to eliminate the turbulence that those 'flaps' generate (I doubt that I'd notice a difference in mileage, but I'd feel better about it), but also to remove the small visual obstruction that they present.
Thom

Where does that road go?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users