• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 962 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

After installing my Truckfridge TF130 it was time to add some solar power. Using the wisdom of my fellow wanders I ordered the panel, controller and monitor. Got everything installed today and found the wires in the roof exactly where Terry said they would be.

Hooked up all the wiring and checked the monitor to see all that power flowing to my batteries. To my surprise there was no power flowing - WTF. Went up the ladder and checked the the panel output - 17 volts. Went down in the camper and checked the controller input - 0 volts. Back and forth a couple of times with similar results. Then I checked the wiring behind the lift panel and found a broken wire. The other 3 wires were intact but damaged and would have broken soon.

I know this has been discussed before in another thread and I should have expected it but it pisses me off that FWC uses residential type wire in their campers. That type of wire is meant for a static environment and should not be used in a mobile application especially behind the lift panel. I think the accountants have more design input than the engineers.

Tomorrow I'll be replacing that section of wiring with something flexible,
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

M16878/4
Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

One of the things constantly amazing me is manufacturer's using typical residential romex for the AC wiring, that's just a bad idea. Get some stranded wiring in there.

FYI: I got a bunch of 14ga that is 41strand wiring and thick jacketed. I thought I was buying SXL but that would have been only 19strand, this is most likely MTW. Not sure if you have a good local source or not.

Posted Image

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#4 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

What year is your camper?
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#5 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 962 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:10 AM

[quote name='pods8' date='17 May 2013 - 06:37 AM' timestamp='1368797820' post='82551']
One of the things constantly amazing me is manufacturer's using typical residential romex for the AC wiring, that's just a bad idea. Get some stranded wiring in there.

FYI: I got a bunch of 14ga that is 41strand wiring and thick jacketed. I thought I was buying SXL but that would have been only 19strand, this is most likely MTW. Not sure if you have a good local source or not.

I was planning on using some material left over from wiring the Jeep. I'm not sure of the strand count but I'll check it out. It's got to be better than the FWC crap.

#6 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 962 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

What year is your camper?

It's an '06

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,042 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

I understand. While so far I haven't had a problem the fwc way certainly isn't the way I'd do my own wiring. Not cheap but I get most of my wire from Westmarine (its just down the street) and use only heat shrink connectors (solder filled when I can). Electrical gremlins are bad enough when you do things right.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

My link is for the 200°C mil-spec wire that we use at work. It is tin plated and can be had in 19 strands as well as fewer or greater depending on the gauge and voltage required. I've attached the pdf spec file. NEMA HP-3 spec supersedes the M16878 spec, but M16878 has been around for so long that its usually easier to find. The spec has how to specify different colors.

Probably over the top for what you need, but I'm tired of buying the junk that the local auto parts stores carry - and then having to replace it several years later. A quick search turned up many vendors, but no pricing. FFT anyway....

Attached Files

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

So....what is the "correct" wire for this application where you have repetitive movement? (Just because someone uses product X at work, doesn't convince me that I should use it for this particular use) Any quality stranded copper wire? Extension cord grade? Polar Wire is good stuff if you use the camper in colder temps - I'm not sure about repetative movement though. I need to get behind the front lift and reconnect the fabric to the lift (it no longer folds properly when letting the top down), and so I should run some wire to the roof for solar at the same time. I think I'll be looking for flexible control cable, trailer wiring, etc. Something they use for solar trackers, robotics, trailer wiring, etc. Sound right?

#10 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

I don't know about it being "correct", but I chose to splice in stranded silicone coated wire, which is used in robotics. It is very flexible at all temperatures. It is also expensive, but you don't need a lot of it. Just splice in the part that bends at the hinge.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users