Adding Fantastic Fan Questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Spitfire

Spitfire

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

On my new Hawk, I ordered a vent over the bed area. I would like to add the 14 speed Fantastic Fan to it at some time. I've been reading a little about it and I've still got a couple of questions. I have verified that the wiring is there.

1) Is it possible to use any of the existing vent installation or would it be best to just remove everything and start over?

2) One of the websites offers high and low profile base options. Is there a preferred one to use with FWC campers? I would like to keep the part above the roof as low as possible.

Anything else that would be good to know?

Thanks
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 2013 FWC Hawk

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

This just came up last week or the week before. You can retain the frame and thus not mess with the seal and likely trim ring, you'll need to swap out the rest.

Assuming we're not talking about the pancake motor version the high/low profile just means where the mounting flange is on the frame. Since its advisable to just reuse the current frame I don't believe it makes any difference what you buy right now since you'll be just taking the guts out of it. I think the low profile frames are what are used out of the factory but I can't recall for sure, take a measurement.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,396 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

The previous post that pods8 mentions - here

Good luck with your project!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Spitfire

Spitfire

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

The previous post that pods8 mentions - here

Good luck with your project!

Thanks for the link. I must have missed that one somehow.
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 2013 FWC Hawk

#5 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for the link. I must have missed that one somehow.

I found the whole process a great deal easier than I thought it was going to be - and that was even after I had read the installation instructions. Easy to do and great to have.
Also while 6 feet 4 inches is great for tall people there are some of us who cannot easily reach ceiling controls at that height. The top level fantastic fan comes with a remote control that can be placed within reach.

#6 contento

contento

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSeattle,wa

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:37 AM

So if you order the extra roof vent it has wires ran to it? that would be sweet.

#7 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

So if you order the extra roof vent it has wires ran to it? that would be sweet.

I think wires are ran even w/o the extra vent, call factory to check though.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#8 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

I think wires are ran even w/o the extra vent, call factory to check though.

I just spoke to terry yesterday about upgrading to the Fantastic Fan. He said the wires are there under the push panel over the bunk. Take off the panel and the wire should be there. He said you leave much of what's there (fan parts)intact and wire the motor (kit) into place. Sounds simple enough...we will see. Also, while I'm here, has anyone added dual batteries to their camper? I have the auxillary (8A24, 79ah Deka Intimidator, heavy duty, deep cell) battery that FWC installed in my 2012 Hawk. Is it best to match that battery with one of the same? Can I add a group 27 battery to this one I have and do a series connection? Or, start clean with two new batteries in the compartment? 6V? I would like to have more amp. power available.

thanks, .

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

Best to have same size batteries and ideally sane age/condition.

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

I am living proof there is no sane age!

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610