#1 PeterV

PeterV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTruckee, CA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

My Norcold 3-way fridge stopped working last weekend, I'm really bummed. Neither electric mode (with the truck running/driving for 5+ hours), nor propane (lights up great, gives strong blue flame, for 2 days, not cold at all inside! and yes, I was parked perfectly flat..)

From reading previous threads, this pretty much means the refrigerant has leaked/the cooling unit is toast? Is it possible to replace/service the cooling unit, or do I just need a new fridge?

This sucks because the previous owner replaced the fridge under warranty a couple of years ago... these things clearly don't last? Anyone know how long the warranty is good for? (I don't have the paperwork of the replacement, etc. yet but will try to find out)

As a last resort... is there a compressor fridge I can just drop in easily instead? I found this thread, which implies it is the Nova Cool R2600, I've also seen references to Nova Cool RC-65...?

http://www.wanderthe...pressor-fridge/

Does anyone know what type/manufacturer the Nova Cool use for their compressor, is it pretty durable for offroad use etc?

I have a really nice Waeco / Dometic fridge as well in another vehicle but it's unfortunately top-loading, so it wouldn't work well in the current configuration :(

---- 2007 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed, 6-speed 4x4 2008 FWC Eagle

#2 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

Just the other night I saw a "conversion kit" that made a 12v ice box into a compressor fridge. Don't know why it wouldn't work on any insulated box. I will look later, or google ice box conversion kit.

CWD

CWDT

#3 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

Did you smell ammonia in the camper? That is the clue that there is a refrigerant leak.

I believe the Norcold warranty is 3 years but you have to have had it serviced by a Norcold tech at 1 year.

My 3cf Norcold dumped its ammonia a couple of months ago and I replaced it with a Truck Fridge TF130 12v compressor fridge. It was a press fit in the Norcold opening

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#4 1tonpaulie

1tonpaulie

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationJohnsburg, Illinois

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

I had a motorhome with a three way that stopped working. I was told by a repair place to unhook the fridge and turn upside down and leave it over night. Then reinstall and try to run on propane. I thought this was stupid, but it got me 2 more years till I sold it and bought a FWC Grandby with an Engel MT-35. Hope this helps you.

Paulie

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Our 3 way fridge has been inconsistent in performance. The other day my wife pointed out to me that the door was slightly racked, the seal couldn't seal along the top by about 1/16" Because of the plastic trim on the control panel you had to look at it straight on from the side to have a hope of seeing the gap. I'm going to install a De-Sta-Co clamp or two to latch the door shut.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Camelracer and 1tonpaulie gave you two clues to knowing if this is permanent or not. As camelracer asked, did you smell ammonia? The cooling system in the three way fridges use ammonia. When the system fails, you will know it. That smell is over powering. If you haven't experienced this, then what 1tonpaulie suggested is your answer. The ammonia occasionally gets a trapped bubble. Removing and turning the fridge upside down for a period somehow gets rid of it. Hopefully that is all you have to do to get it working again.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#7 PeterV

PeterV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTruckee, CA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

I did not smell ammonia, but the truck was parked for ~14 days, and when I started the fridge on propane, it wasn't working after sitting (before that, I used it successfully). If there was a leak, it happened during that time.

Any tips for removing the fridge - how easy is it to do so? It's not obvious where all of the mounts are.

I'll play around but to be honest, this fridge is extremely fiddly, and I'm seriously considering upgrading it to a compressor fridge, which will "just work" as long as there is battery... (but I have two batteries and solar)

#8 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

If it is an air bubble in the fridge tubing then it is worth a try to tap the cooling tubes with a rubber hammer just in case that is all that is needed, rather than uninstalling and turning the fridge upside down.

I had the cooling unit in my 5th replaced after 9 or 10 years and the replacement unit cools better than the original and is now about 12 years old.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#9 PeterV

PeterV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTruckee, CA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

I drove up a rough and rocky logging road last weekend in 4-low, so I doubt air bubbles would have stayed in 1 spot... :-) Sadly that didn't help. Will try the tapping method, as well, and potentially the upside down... thanks for all of the ideas, everyone - appreciate it.

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

My opinions on 3way fridges are pretty well known on this forum and every time I see one of these threads it proves the point.  Aside from the obvious mechanical problems it seems these things work great if you don't need a fridge.  As long as your not camping in the summer in the southwest and at altitued they're great.  But 40 degrees (at best) below ambient in 100 degree temps isn't much of a fridge.  You would be far better off with a coleman extreme and block ice.  Compressor fridges just plain work.   I know others have had success with amonia gas refers but it seems there are more complaints than compliments.  Perhaps as an Engel dealer I shouldn't add my 2 cents but there it is.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users