• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nathan

nathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

ok, so i finally bought the perfect fwc, just recently, but i find it really hard to lift the roof up. any opinions? i had one once before, years ago, don't remember it being this hard. it's a 2001 hawk shell model.

#2 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Look at this topic: http://www.wanderthe...r-shocks-redux/

especially Alley Kat's post about 28 pages of roof lifting helper shocks.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#3 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

I had difficulty lifting the roof in a demonstrator, so bought the speaker-stand crank device even before I took delivery. It does work just fine. But it is a bit of a bother to carry and use, so started trying various techniques to lift the roof unassisted. I don't have a rack or carry stuff on top.

I can't describe my method exactly, plus you'll do better to figure out what works best for you, but I'll give some hints. I sit down on the sofa to raise the rear, pushing up on the ceiling board, and at the same time pushing back on the hinged lifting panels. You're not supposed to lift just by pushing on the panels, but they are strong and if you push up with one hand and back on the panels with the other as you stand up, it goes up without excessive effort. Just remember to put the strap around the knob once it pops into place or the back will fall when you try to lift the front.

To lift the front, I remove the cushion above the water tank. Crouching I stand on the cabinet above the tank, place my shoulder against the lifting board, and stand up, lifting with my shoulder. That uses the muscles in my legs which are stronger than my arms.

And of course leave the door open when lifting so air can flow easily into the camper as the roof goes up.

Hope this helps.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#4 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

I guess I'll have to try raising the rear portion first, just to see if that makes the whole roof lifting thing easier for me.  But up to now I've always raised the front portion first (not sure why)...  x2 on having the door open when you do all this lifting!!

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#5 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

I guess I'll have to try raising the rear portion first, just to see if that makes the whole roof lifting thing easier for me.  But up to now I've always raised the front portion first (not sure why)...  x2 on having the door open when you do all this lifting!!

I was told to always lift the rear first and lower the front first. Think it's in the manual, too.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#6 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Step 1 - Make sure the door is open.  It is impossible to lift the roof in a sealed camper.

I raise the back first.  To raise the front, I stand on the seats by the cab window, put my back on the ceiling board, and lift with my legs while pushing on the hinged panel rod.  I make sure my feet are over the vertical wooden support and not in the middle of the seat where it is unsupported.

I have a Grandby with a queen bed and I'm able to lift the roof without any problem.

#7 steelhead

steelhead

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Rico, the text below is from the Owner's Manual on the FWC site. I tried raising the front first when we first got our Fleet just to see how it worked. Only did that once because it is significantly more difficult. You will be surprised at the difference by raising the rear first.

"To raise the roof you must enter the camper and position yourself at the rear, facing the
door. The door must be in the open position to allow the camper to fill with air as you raise
the roof. You cannot raise the roof unless you allow air into the area that is being expanded.
You always raise the roof from the rear due to the proximity of the rear door. This is the
largest opening and will allow the most amount of air to be displaced while lifting the roof."

#8 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

My technique for raising the top is the same as Bosque Bill. Raising the front is a combo move of pushing upwards with the legs and simultaneously pushing the bar above the bed forward to pop the front panels in place with your right arm. (might not work if yer short...needless to say I've never had that problem)

good luck

Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#9 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

The speaker crank device is a must if you have a weak back or are carrying a load on the roof.  I find it only slightly bothersome to carry and I have found it very useful in ways I did not expect.  On one trip the padding under the camper was coming out and I used the crank to lift one corner of the entire camper enough to work the padding back in.  I often use it as a pole for a clothes line. My wife likes the idea that she could manage the roof if I fell off a cliff or was otherwise removed from the scene.

Edited by Hittheroad, 09 July 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#10 NorCalSteve

NorCalSteve

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:51 AM

I use my Head.   That is, I place my head against the wood while sitting on the bench seat.  I then stand up.  Maybe that is why I was just diagnosed with scoliosis.  I do raise the front using just the arm attached to the lift panel.  But it almost goes up on its own because of the lift struts.

Steve

Hawk on a 1994 Silverado 2WD pickup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users