#1 sgiandubh

sgiandubh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:21 AM

Hi, Folks,

First off, thanks to all that have inspired me to get a FWC; both with tales of splendid adventures and with build/mod threads. We have done the tent camping thing for many years and in our never ending pursuit of comfort off the beaten path, we have ended up with a 12x12 Cabela's XWT outfitter tent, cots and a catalytic heater. While this setup works well, it is quite bulky and I have tired of setting up and taking down a large tent for weekend outings. The bulk was not an issue when I had my quad cab Dodge 2500, but I have since downsized to a double cab Tacoma so space is at a premium. Rooftop tents intrigued me for a while, but with a toddler and a wife who is fond of the heater, a pop-up camper seemed the best solution. FWC rose to the top as one of the makes to seek out. However, as you well know, campers that fit the Tacoma-sized trucks are few and far between on the used market. Given that I already had an M101A3 military trailer, (albeit 12 hours away at my brother-in-law's house) it seemed a plausible plan to find an older full-sized model and build to suit with the trailer in mind as a means to transport it. As a result, I had been casually looking at older FWCs for the past year or so. When a 1982 Grandby popped up 1.5 hours from me, for $500 I couldn't resist. 

The seller was upfront about the canvas being toast, and the camper had clearly been well-used from the CL pictures. There was also mold on the lift panels which did not bode well for their condition. Yet, I was not to be deterred. So I grabbed up the Daughter, and we headed out. The camper was not in stellar condition, but after an inspection I figured it to be in good enough shape my purposes and for being 30 years old. So I gave the man his money and I was the proud owner of a 1982 Grandby, serial number 16397.

Here it is when we got it home. 

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

Initially, the plan was to order new canvas, give the camper a thourough cleaning and put it to use....

IMG_1174.jpg

Edited by sgiandubh, 23 July 2013 - 04:25 AM.

#2 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

Wow, a truly vintage Grandby.  But... what am I seeing in that last pic?  Is that the camper's floor laying there on the ground, or am I just hallucinating?  I'll assume you'll be telling us more as you proceed with this hopefully fun project.  Congrats on your procurement.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#3 sgiandubh

sgiandubh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

Thanks Rico! So far it has been quite a fun project. The deeper I dug trying to rid the camper of the musty/moldy smell, and general dirtiness, I found more and more evidence dictating a full on rebuild. Here's some pics of what drove the full on removal of everything but select siding. 

IMG_2835.jpg

#4 sgiandubh

sgiandubh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

A couple more.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2840.jpg
  • IMG_2843.jpg
  • IMG_2853.jpg

#5 sgiandubh

sgiandubh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

Turns out, aside from the rampant mold and decaying wood, the front supports underneath the window were all broken at the welds. Yes, the camper has turned out to be a bit more than I bargained for, but I think in the end it will be worth it. Besides, its a lot of fun to plan and work on given that I am essentially starting from a frame. 

IMG_2863.jpg

I repaired the broken welds using L brackets. I am not sure if this is the strongest approach, but I saw this method used on another rebuild so I gave it a shot. I also plan to use 1/4" birch plywood on the walls and screw it to the aluminum uprights to stabilize the front wall. 

IMG_2901.jpg

#6 sgiandubh

sgiandubh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

After a pressure washing....rebuilding the floor pack. IMG_2898.jpg IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg IMG_2893.jpg

#7 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Looking good. You are a brave soul. It will be interesting to watch you bring this one back from the dead.
2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#8 sgiandubh

sgiandubh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

takesiteasy, thanks for the kind word... It is possible that I am more foolhardy than brave at this point. After completely dismantling the camper, the only thing that I have been able to salvage is the furnace, the frame, three of the windows and the interlocking siding. The front window was a casualty of the drive home courtesy of a rock kicked up by my truck. The magnitude of the project is slightly lost on me as I have long harbored a fascination with resurrecting the derelict.

I have not decided if I will reuse the  stove and the sink that came with the camper or source a sink/stove combo. That would allow me to save some counter space as I plan to expand the over cab bed to 54" (full size). 

Completed floor pack. Making progress....

IMG_1176.jpg

#9 sgiandubh

sgiandubh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

Like many other things that I planned to salvage, the roof had seen better days. I ended up stripping it down to the frame. I'm glad that I did because the mold was pervasive. Also, major cracks in the metal were hidden by globs of sealant. 

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:19 AM

Just looking over your "rebuild"you have a huge project ahead of you.

Keep posting progress photos.

Looks good.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users