15 replies to this topic

#1 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hello,

I want to install a solar panel onto my FWC 2012 Hawk: I have (the following standard options), the small 3-way frig, water heater, furnace, 2-80amp aux. batteries, propane, stove, water pump, 2 fantastic fans, switched to LED bulbs throughout camper including porch and awning lights. I tend to be frugal with my power needs while out camping on the road(s) less traveled, so no plugging in for me :o)  All this sits comfortably on my 2002 Tundra. My question is: can anyone suggest a reliable, well made (preferably USA made), type, watts...of panel and controller and cable size that works well with our pop-ups. What size cable, length of cable from the controller to batteries (shorter the better?) and where to place controller? Do I need a voltmeter to monitor the residual charge to the batteries? Anything else you folks out there can share would be appreciated.

I also want to replace that slap of concrete that sits on the bunk with a softer, more forgiving mattress. I hear good things about this Nymbus Qualux Ultra (Q41) mattress. I also heard that Memory Foam is not a good choice due to it freezing in freezing temperatures?

Thanks... 

michael

#2 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

Check out this thread:

http://www.wanderthe...-on-this-forum/

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#3 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Thanks leadsled9...I will check it out.

#4 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Michael,

Your largest potential draws are the furnace and fridge, although running both fans at once could add up too. Fortunately when one needs the furnace the fridge and fans are unlikely to be working too hard, and vice versa. Nevertheless, I'd suggest at least a single 100-watt panel if you want to be completely independent. Wiring from the panel down to the controller doesn't need to be huge; a 100-watt panel is unlikely to exceed six amps of output.

This article might give you some ideas:

JATAC solar power

Jonathan

#5 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

JHanson,

Thank you for your info. Looked at it and it sounds like a nice set up. Do you have any opinion on the portable solar kits that are on the market.? The principle seems good, but how efficient are they with lot's of cable being strung from panel to camper plug?    

#6 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:24 AM

Michael,

The loss from the cable on a remote system would be minimal, and more than offset by the advantage of being able to keep the panel or panels oriented ideally. It also allows you to park in the shade and leave your panel in the sun. The disadvantage is that the larger panels are pretty heavy and a pain to store, unless you mount it under the camper overhang like I did our Front Runner table.

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

I thought about storage under the overhang like Jonathan, until I saw this. Interesting idea. I like having my stuff bagged up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/130954468037

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

I can see the obvious advantage of a portable system with a few disadvantages as well. Question I have is: Is there a way to wire a plug in receptor (wired from the inside batteries to one of the campers exterior sides? Similar to the shore power plug receptor set up.  I would think on the drivers side. So, when I set this system up I can run the cables from the solar panel/controller directly to the camper's plug it receptor, rather than running the cable with the alligator clips into the camper (through the back door or hatch) and to the battery compartment under the dinette seat/battery area. Do they make such a plug? Is this as simple as having FWC install a plug for me with either a female or male receptor?  Have I confuse you....? Thanks for your info in advance.

#9 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

Yes, it is pretty simple. Probably would be easier to have FWC do it for you if they are convenient to you. I ordered my Hawk with plugs on the roof and back. On the inside were two sets of wires (with labels) near the battery to be hooked up to the solar controller. 

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#10 Walldiver

Walldiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

I can see the obvious advantage of a portable system with a few disadvantages as well. Question I have is: Is there a way to wire a plug in receptor (wired from the inside batteries to one of the campers exterior sides? Similar to the shore power plug receptor set up.  I would think on the drivers side. So, when I set this system up I can run the cables from the solar panel/controller directly to the camper's plug it receptor, rather than running the cable with the alligator clips into the camper (through the back door or hatch) and to the battery compartment under the dinette seat/battery area. Do they make such a plug? Is this as simple as having FWC install a plug for me with either a female or male receptor?  Have I confuse you....? Thanks for your info in advance.

I went with a portable for now the Go Power GP-PSK-80 80 watt solar kit. I hard wired a duplex cable to my 2 aux batteries and routed the cable over the carpeted lower area that holds the table leg down into the storage compartment. When I hook it up to the solar cell, I simply feed it out thru the access door for the turnbuckle along the truck bed and side of the camper out the back. I used Deutsche connectors on the cable and solar cell, because I wanted to avoid drilling holes in the camper. When not using the cable I store it in the storage compartment. I made a 25 ft extension cable so that I can place the cell wherever the sun was shining. Works great for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users