#1 trailrider

trailrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:26 AM

We are an active couple (kids gone) that like to camp and explore the back roads. We have narrowed our choices between a FWC or ATC. We are thinking of going with a shell for price and weight. We do not have a truck. I am leaning towards a extend cab full size truck (possibly a chevy) with 6.5 ft camper. I don't want the camper to overhang past the truck. Going to a full size bed with a 8 ft camper gets pretty long. It seems with a full size truck you have ~50 inches between the wheel wells vs. say a mid size Tacoma that is ~41 inches. Also over all camper width is 80 inches vs 69-75 inches. It seem to me you are giving up a fair amount of living space. EPA mileage rating between a full size 1500 and V6 tacoma are pretty close.

Why do people choose a mid size over a full size? Is the smaller size more desirable on the trail (width and wheelbase)? We will not be doing super technical 4-wheeling. Possible something along the lines of Imogen Pass in CO is the most we would do.

Do any truck camper models fit better? I don't like seeing the camper too high above the bed rails or roof.

The counter-cabinet on each side seems more complete-easily modified on the FWC than the ATC shell. Comments?

Thanks,

Mike

#2 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Choice of the Tacoma was personal preference as much as anything. The truck is used for errands around town as well as carrying the camper/towing a trailer. The first Toyota I bought was in the 1980's and they were a lot smaller and more manueverable then. The Silverado I had before the Toyota was not too reliable and not well assembled. Enter the Toyota. It was nimble, got better mileage, and was screwed together well. When I rolled it on an icy road after 8 years of ownership, the truck was stout enough to keep the roof from collapsing on me. The Toyotas I have had since have been equally trouble free but the increase in size has taken away some of the nimbleness. The trade off has been an increase in power with mileage remaining good.

Improvements in the 'Big Three' trucks since the 1980's are huge, both in assembly and mileage. The increase in camper space you can get with a standard 1/2 - 3/4 ton truck may well be a deciding factor for you. If it were left to me, I would think seriously about a standard cab, 8 foot bed truck with a corresponding camper. (I really liked my IH 3/4 with an Alaskan in the '70's, but gas was MUCH cheaper then!)

As for modifiability, I found Marty and the group at ATC very easy to work with when I was shopping for my Bobcat. I had suggestions that were listened to and the result was the camper I wanted. I have not dealt with FWC but Stan's posts have been well thought out, a good indication IMHO.

Edited by Argonaut20, 06 August 2013 - 01:38 PM.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#3 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

We too chose a Tacoma for size, features and reliability. We wanted a truck that we could take into San Francisco and Seattle and similar cities and manuever and park without problems and plenty of power for mountain highways and steep hills. The quality and resale value of Toyotas was a key factor. We chose ATC because they were willing to build a camper exactly how we wanted it (for an additional cost). Sizing it to fit the truck was a major consideration. We went the shell route to manage the weight and it matches the way we camp. That is the major tradeoff with the Tacoma- not much cargo capacity. You can check out our rig in the blog linked below.

Edited by takesiteasy, 06 August 2013 - 02:07 PM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

We are an active couple (kids gone) that like to camp and explore the back roads. We have narrowed our choices between a FWC or ATC. We are thinking of going with a shell for price and weight. We do not have a truck. I am leaning towards a extend cab full size truck (possibly a chevy) with 6.5 ft camper. I don't want the camper to overhang past the truck. Going to a full size bed with a 8 ft camper gets pretty long. It seems with a full size truck you have ~50 inches between the wheel wells vs. say a mid size Tacoma that is ~41 inches. Also over all camper width is 80 inches vs 69-75 inches. It seem to me you are giving up a fair amount of living space. EPA mileage rating between a full size 1500 and V6 tacoma are pretty close.

Why do people choose a mid size over a full size? Is the smaller size more desirable on the trail (width and wheelbase)? We will not be doing super technical 4-wheeling. Possible something along the lines of Imogen Pass in CO is the most we would do.

Do any truck camper models fit better? I don't like seeing the camper too high above the bed rails or roof.

The counter-cabinet on each side seems more complete-easily modified on the FWC than the ATC shell. Comments?

Thanks,

Mike

Mile welcome to the site.

Have you thought about a used truck? Myself I am now partial to the 1st gen tundras. I have a ATC Bobcat. It doesn't stick out farther than the cab and the rear of the camper not past the bumper.The sides of the camper are very close to the side rails of the truck box.

We are also just two of us camping and like the size of the ATC Bobcat,which is similar to the FWC Fleet. I am not sure the extra 5" in width to us would make that much difference,but I do like that the camper fits the truck nicely.

You can also check my blog to see the truck/camper.My rig is only used for camping so the camper stays on all the time.

I am enjoying the Tundra size,as Takesiteasy says the size makes it easy to get around in a city.

My shameless plug for ATC is that being a smaller company they can work closer with the costumer.

Good luck in your hunt for a camper.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:19 AM

Oh the small truck vs. big truck debate. We must have thousands of pages worth of that debate! Get what you like and the heck with the rest of us. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

Amen!

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#7 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

craig333, haha, excellent post!
2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#8 Marshfly

Marshfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

My 8ft ATC Cougar fits nicely in the bed of my 2009 Ford F150 Supercrew with the really short bed. I install it with the tailgate down. I'd have no hesitation to run Imogene with the camper installed. In fact, I did Cinnamon and Stoney (rated 4 and 5 respectively) in scattered showers a week ago with the rig. The increase in room by going to the 8ft camper is huge. 

2014 Ram 3500 Crew 4wd Cummins, 2013 Lance 855

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

Oh the small truck vs. big truck debate. We must have thousands of pages worth of that debate! Get what you like and the heck with the rest of us. 

Exactly,you have to get what works for you.Ideas from others are OK but in the end it's up to you.

good hunting.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:19 AM

Agree with Craig-me- I used what I had-a 1/2 ton F150 4x4 and put a big old Granby on it.You can do that w/o modifying anything, but I put on air bags to get some lift and to get threw the ditches better; had allot of problems with the set-up especially with the air bags blowing out all the time- , then Ford rec'm'd a blacksmith and  he made and  put on special  3/4 ton  springs on the set up and me and the truck are now two happy campers- have had no problems with set up around town or in the back country, and I like the extra space, but I carry to much junk anyway, what ever you get you will enjoy it :D !

Edited by Smokecreek1, 08 August 2013 - 02:21 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users