New bed mechanism

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:39 AM

It's not even two weeks ago that Ben installed my new Bobcat on my (really short bed) Tacoma, and I already had to take the bed apart.
What I didn't like is two things:
- the wasted space between the bed and the window
- the space between the kitchen cabinet and bed is way to narrow to pass through

So, this is the first prototype of my new bed mechanism. We just took the camper to Key West over the weekend and it works just great. The four of us slept very comfortable (five with the dog) in the Bobcat.

Attached Thumbnails

• November 07 001 (Medium).jpg
  • November 07 002 (Medium).jpg
  • November 07 004 (Medium).jpg
  • November 07 005 (Medium).jpg
  • November 07 006 (Medium).jpg

03 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, D Cab, Air-Lift, Schroth Safety Harness, Recaro Seat (finally) on board laptop w GPS, ARB Front Bumper, Manual Hubs.

#2 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:46 AM

Above are the pictures I took from my bed mods. The first pic is from the original setup, the rest are the modifications I did.
This is still a prototype, but it works. One additional benefit I see is the increased storage space if you leave the bed setup. The space is almost doubled compared to the original setup.
Here is the second set of pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• November 07 007 (Medium).jpg
  • November 07 008 (Medium).jpg
  • November 07 009 (Medium).jpg
  • November 07 010 (Medium).jpg
  • November 07 012 (Medium).jpg

03 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, D Cab, Air-Lift, Schroth Safety Harness, Recaro Seat (finally) on board laptop w GPS, ARB Front Bumper, Manual Hubs.

#3 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:54 AM

This is what I still have to do to this setup:

- connect the backrest to the board with hinges
- connect the backrest with a zipper to the seat cushions
- change the regular piano hinges for spring loaded piano hinges like the ones from the roof mechanism

This way I would only have to pull up on the seat cushions and the boards would spring into place.

#4 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:52 PM

looks cool, interested to hear how it holds up...congrats on the new camper...looks like you got some great features...keep us up to date on your progress...cheers

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#5 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:30 PM

That looks like a really nice solution to your issue. Now once you get it finished you better have a conversation with Tomas (I think it was) who found that his interpersonal bedboard antics caused a catastrophic collapse of his couch/bed. He won't get too graphic online but maybe a PM to him about it would be in order! :D
Brian

#6 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:03 PM

cabezon,

Very slick setup, nice work. For those of us with the new FWC couch set up it won't apply but still a great idea for those who can use it.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#7 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:26 AM

looks cool, interested to hear how it holds up...congrats on the new camper...looks like you got some great features...keep us up to date on your progress...cheers

Just to let you all know, the couch mod is still working great without any incidents.
It takes less than 5 seconds to convert the couch to a bed and about 15 seconds to return to couch.

Now I guess it's time for a new mod, but still don't know what ;)

#8 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

Cab,
Now that's a creative solution to the problem(s) with the lower bed.Question is,how will it hold up when activities other than sleep are engaged?? THis is what brought about my need for the mod I'm doing, untimely collapse..

A man needs a solid work bench!
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#9 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:55 PM

Nice job and interesting solution :thumb:
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#10 cabezon23

cabezon23

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:14 AM

This bed mechanism has been extensively tested by the toughest professional testers I could get. My 2 and 10 year old kids. Jumping from the cab over bed onto the lower bed, bouncing around etc, it still survived.
There is as far as I can see nowhere to go for the support boards. The horizontal board (1) with the two hinges gives support to the backrest and the seat cushions. This board itself is supported by the center support (2). The center support is held in place first by the spring loaded hinges and by some stoppers in the front wall and underneath the horizontal board. These stoppers also prevent the back rests to go completely vertical in the couch position, which for me makes it much more comfortable. The outer support board (3) is also held in place by the spring loaded hinges on one side, stoppers on the front wall and underneath the seat cushions.
The seat cushions and the back rest are sewn together with a piece of fabric. This way they won't separate during the night when you toss and turn, or have your kids bouncing around.
I had at the beginning two sliding bolts going into the front wall for security, but the boards where not moving at all so I took them out again.

Attached Thumbnails

• November 07 002 (Medium).jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users