• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:25 AM

I have 10 ply tires on my truck. I was wondering what you guys are putting your tire pressure at? I am also pulling a trailer and the tongue weight is about 200 to 300 pounds.  
\Right now I am setting the back at 58 pounds but they seem bulged out a bit and I was wondering if I should air them up more.   Thanks,   Ron

#2 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

Ron, I'm Running 45 & 45 On BFG TA/KO's With The Camper On, 37 Front 35 Rear Empty. Just Keep An Eye On The Dirt Lines And Keep Them Right At The Edge Of The Tread...

#3 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

Thanks

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:22 AM

I keep my load range E tires on my heavy truck at 80 psi rear and 65 psi front. Front seems low. I'm going to up the air in the fronts tomorrow to 70-75 and see if that feels better. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

I'm no expert on this...but isn't "correct tire pressure" a function of what vehicle it's on?  That is, a big heavy truck with 10-ply/E tires will call for higher pressure than the same-rating tires on a lighter vehicle.  I use the recommended pressure on the door jam sticker as a guide.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#6 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

Same as MarkBC. I run 60 in the front and 80 in back off the door sticker.

#7 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

I'm no expert on this...but isn't "correct tire pressure" a function of what vehicle it's on? That is, a big heavy truck with 10-ply/E tires will call for higher pressure than the same-rating tires on a lighter vehicle. I use the recommended pressure on the door jam sticker as a guide.

Absolutely, To Get The Same Footprint On The Ground Out Of My 10 Ply/E-Rated BFG's I Need To Run Way Less Air With The Half-Ton Tundra Than With The 3/4 And One Ton Diesel Engine Trucks. Take All This Information And Add Your Air, Then Watch The Line That Forms On The TRead Face Of Your Tire. Add Air Until The line Moves To The Outside Of The Tread. If The Line Is Inside Of The Tread, Let Some Out. Just What Are You Driving Ron? We Don't See What Truck You Have.

Edited by KILR0Y, 29 September 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#8 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

I run 65psi in the rear and 72 up front on the truck most of the time.  I'll bump the rear up a little for a longer trip or if I have the camper and the boat.  When I had a big camper it was 80 all around. 

There is a bit of trail and error to find the right combo and then the balence between wear and MPG's.

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#9 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

If you have installed after-market tires that are substantially different from the OEM tires, then the door sticker is no longer relevant to your new situation. It is best to figure out what you need for your truck and load.

To determine "correct" tire pressure for your vehicle, then it is best to calculate it from the tire rating and the load on each tire - determined by actually weighing each axle of your loaded rig on a CAT scale, or equivalent.

Your tires are rated and marked to carry x load at y pressure. You can do the math to get the proper pressure for your load. See point 2 in this article:

http://www.4wheelpar...re-checker.aspx

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#10 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:49 AM

If you have installed after-market tires that are substantially different from the OEM tires, then the door sticker is no longer relevant to your new situation. It is best to figure out what you need for your truck and load.

To determine "correct" tire pressure for your vehicle, then it is best to calculate it from the tire rating and the load on each tire - determined by actually weighing each axle of your loaded rig on a CAT scale, or equivalent.

Your tires are rated and marked to carry x load at y pressure. You can do the math to get the proper pressure for your load. See point 2 in this article:

http://www.4wheelpar...re-checker.aspx

I upgraded the tires on my Tacoma from the OEM P265/70r16 to LT265/70r16 (load range D). The new tires are rated for substantially more load at higher max. pressures but they are the same size as the OEM tires so I have been running them at the door pillar pressures. Looking at the page referenced above this seems correct but I wonder if my thinking is correct? I haven't experimented at all with varying the pressure. Maybe I should increase the pressure and get better mileage? Any thoughts?

Edited by takesiteasy, 01 October 2013 - 01:51 AM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users