10 replies to this topic

#1 frigid north

frigid north

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, Alaska

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

Hello everyone, I have been asked about this modification so here are some photos.

I added a 2" foam panel to the underside of the cabover. I used stainless steel screws set thru the angle into the frame around the edge of the bed. I used Gorilla glue to secure it, the gorilla glue does not attack the foam. I used 1/8" red oak ply to cover the bottom. I used 2X2 aluminum angle to trim the edges.

So far it is holding up well,  and it keeps the camper bed warmer, and eliminates the condensation that builds up under the foam mattress in cold temps.

I have been adding rigid foam to every surface of the camper that I can. I added foam to the outside areas that are next to the bed, and I have added a 1/2" rigid foam to all the surfaces on the inside. The camper is now warmer in the winter months. 

IMGP0605.JPG IMGP0618.JPG

Toyota Tacoma 2010 TRD V6 ATC Bobcat 2008 shell model

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

I like it, if I decide to spend more time in cold climes I may do something similar.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 frigid north

frigid north

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

Here is a photo of the support of the panel where it meets the back wall of the camper.IMGP0616.JPG

#4 frigid north

frigid north

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

Here is a photo of the lower rear part of the camper where i added some 1/2" foam covered with some aluminun sheet. IMGP0611.JPG

#5 Mary81147

Mary81147

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Thanks so much- your info is appreciated.

#6 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

Nice job- I'm always interested in ideas to keep the camper warm in cold times. Thanks for posting your solution.

Edited by takesiteasy, 21 October 2013 - 09:52 PM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#7 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Nice job, frigid.  Any ideas for the forward lower walls and the floor?  Have you looked in the wall cavities to see any of the factory insulation?  Just curious how well they insulated.  I assume you use the arctic pak?  What thermostat do you use to keep the temp somewhat stable in cold conditions?  I havn't used my camper much below zero.....just too much condensation and hard to keep comfortable.  Thanks for sharing.

#8 frigid north

frigid north

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hello AK NOMAD,

I have been adding rigid foam everywhere that I can, outside and inside, I added a 1/2" layer on the floor, inside the camper. I have not looked in the walls but I know there is one inch of glass bat, not much insulation but it is a light weight camper. I have added a 1/2" layer of rigid foam covered with a very thin oak veneer to the inside surfaces of the camper, this a light weight addition to the camper that adds some comfort.

I do have a custom made arctic pack that I had Alaska Tent and Tarp make for me, its a nylon fabric with a synthetic insulation sewn inside like a sleeping bag, these panels velcro in place just like the original arctic pac panels, in fact I took those panels to them so they would have a pattern to copy.

I am using an Atwood thermostat with the propane forced air furnace that ATC installed. I have used camper in temps down to -40 F once while driving thru the Yukon, it was so cold I didnt even pop the top I just slept on floor of camper. The camper is warmer now with the xtra insulation but I do get condensation on the ceiling where the aluminum frame is, the aluminum conducts the cold well, if there were a thermal break of some kind between the aluminum and the outside i think it would reduce the condensation. Even a 1/2" layer of rigid foam, it wouldnt add too much wieght. I have thought about a new roof design where the whole thing is covered in rigid foam before the final skin goes on.  

If I had to put a tempurature rating on the camper now I think that I have a camper that is comfortable to about -9 degrees F.

#9 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

Nicely done, how did you bend the 2x2 without it buckling?

#10 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

Never mind, I was able to zoom and see the wedges cut out, and then welded?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users