#1 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

Hello,

I have been researching pop-up campers for the past year.  I've looked closely at the softsides from Hallmark & Outfitter, and want to learn about the hardside Alaskan.  The hardside appeals to me and we are looking at the 10' with the extended bed.  I'm interested in hearing from people that have had Alaskans for years, owners of multiple Alaskans, and new owners.  It is my intent to visit Denver and Washington to see the manufacturering process of all 3 during the next year.  Some draw backs are the lack of an inside shower and North/South bed in the Alaskan, but would probably over look those items if the feed back about the quality of the camper is considered to be very high.  There wasn't much on accessories, and would want at least an outside shower, solar, cassette toilet, air conditioning.  Is the hydraulic lift reliable.  I notice some forum comments where they cracked and had to be soldered.  Maybe those were on older units.  Any information you can provide on your Alaskan Camper experience, positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#2 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

Mine is 43 years old and it's been in the family the entire time.  I, personally, have had this in our end of the family for 23 years.  all the upgrades you mentioned are available and many more...call Bryan at the factory in Chehalis Washington and discuss what he can do for you.  I would highly recommend a new one or a very old one...the 80's seem to have used vinyl covered flakeboard for interior finishes which does not hold up well...ie; peels and comes apart.

the split hydraulics you spoke of is unusual. He's in Alaska....which does get a bit colder, although I don't know the cause of the split...the newer rams are larger and carry the load much more evenly, although the older rams work well...you just have to get to know them.

the only way I would sell mine...even after all these years....would be to buy a new one...with many of the upgrades you have spoken of...and a cab over.

they're handy, low profile and alot of fun....I've had mine all over the west and typically get 17-19 mpg on a 7.3 liter Ford diesel...you will need at least a 3/4 ton truck to carry it...air bags suggested to assist in keeping things level during serious cruising

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#3 Spike38

Spike38

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hello,

We have a 2005 10’ front dinette we purchased from a couple in Fort Collins Co. Camper is on a 1995 Dodge 2500 with many modification for power and our 4 wheel drive needs. We have had a Halmark and have had a S&S , Lance, and several types of trailers. The reason for our choice of the Alaskan was we snowmobile, boat and enjoy camping in Colorado year round.

The full size hard sided campers are very difficult to drive in cross winds along with a 20’ enclosed trailer. The Halmark we found to be ok for 3 seasons but even with insulation we used a lot of propane to heat.

The Alaskan works well. We do not have A.C., but find it rare we need it. The Alaskan is well made and has giving us a good package to modify to our liking. We have reinsulated ours and did some modification on the weather striping to keep out any drafts in windy conditions. We do not have a water heater and find we do not miss it as much as you might think. The cassette toilet work good for our needs and has not given us any problems.  WE use a portable hot water heater in the summer for showers.

The faults we have found is as follows. The refrigerator being located as it is in this design needs a small fan to remove the heat from the top coil area and vented thru the ventilation grating on the side of the camper. This is a simple modification and is used only on warmer days. I have built a support on the back side of the camper to give the lower box section the needed rigidity it need as the door cut out takes a lot of strength away from the lower section. The camper tie downs also tend to pull on the lower section as well.  This brace mounts to bottom and follows the contour of the back of the camper to the camper tie downs. This has greatly increased the rigidity and my door opening gap remains constant.  I have also made my access step a part of this brace so they are still removable for traveling but slide in place around the trailer hitch.

Only other mods have been to make the closet suit our needs better . We also installed a small flat screen that mount behind the dinette seat so we can watch a movie.  The lift system has been good , but me being me I made the system so I can control each of the 4 jacks to allow very even lowering and raising. All in All we love the camper. I just wish my truck had a utility bed for more storage.  

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

I'd like to see those mods Spike....interesting...especially the jack system control and the structural mod for stabilizing the rear door opening...

Welcome aboard

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#5 Manfred65

Manfred65

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Locationnear Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hello,

i like to introduce myself in this thread.

I am from germany, 48 years, Coach-Driver, and looking for truckcampers for half a year now. Now i am nearly 100% on the way to an Alaskan.

Our choice leans towards a  8 or 8.5 ft AlaskanCO to fit on a ExtCabSB 3/4 or 1-ton-Truck. 

Shortbed because our roads and cities are much more narrow than in the USA. I hope a Chevy2500 or Ford F-250 will work well with

these campers. May be i will need a roadmaster-Kit or Airbags ?

@Spike38:  i am also interested in the changes you made. Esp. the structural mods in the rear. Do you have sketches or photographs you are able to post or send via Mail ?

Regards

Manfred

2000 Ford F-250 SuperDuty SC LB 7.3 Lariat
1992 Jayco Sportster 8ft Popup

http://www.wanderthe...8ft-renovation/

BundutecUSA, TravelLite and Palomino TruckCamper Sales in Germany and Europe

#6 Spike38

Spike38

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

I would take pictures but the camper is off the truck right now and tucked in the corner of my shop.

The rear structure is as follows. I will explain the best I can

Along the bottom of the camper i have a piece of 1 1/2" x 2 x 3/32" thick square tubing that runs under the bottom of the camper and extends 6" past the right and left lower sidewall this piece is bolted thru the floor at the outer edges. Then 2 uprights or vertical pieces one on each side with the same tubing going up to the horizontal edge with a horizontal piece of the same tubing going to the jack-tie down brackets. Each of these pieces are welded at a 90 deg angle and fit to the dimensions of the camper with triangle gussets welded inside of each corner . These two pieces one right and one left are connected to the lower rail I described earlier with a heavy hinge welded to the base square tubing and also welded to the two uprights, I then took and made two adjustable jack screws 1/2 x 13 thread with pin connection top and bottom and attached them on the lower outside edge of the bottom tubing and they tie in just below the 90 deg weld on the vertical tubing gussets. The reasons for the jack bolts instead of welding it all together is I wanted to be able to adjust each side so I can get the door gap perfect. It also allows things to flex a bit.  Bolting into the jack and camper tie down mounts allows the brace to take some of the load of the tie downs. I used stainless tubing as it was available, the stainless is overkill and a little thick for the task but it was free. Steel that is powder coated or painted would be fine.

I have had this in place for over a year and even when I take the camper off and on the 4 jacks the door gap did not  change. Brace may have added 30 to 40 lbs I am guessing on the heavy side of its weight as it also has a step mount I built on latter.

Only drawback is I must have my camper sitting on 6- 2x6 boards laying in the bed. I was doing this anyway for some cab clearance.

As for the 4 jacks I have installed a flow control valve for each jack. This allows very good control of each jack. 

Edited by Spike38, 04 December 2013 - 12:47 AM.

#7 Manfred65

Manfred65

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

Hi Spike 38,

tanks for sharing your changes. I hope you can add photos later. I think i understood what you have done. But to get the last clearance ( my english isn´t the best) photos may help a lot.

Manfred

#8 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

NOW....I really want to see a picture....my machinist/draftsman's brain is working overtime....I think I've got it...and it sounds great

Free Stainless.....wow.....what a score!

3/16" flow control valves?....where the heck did you get those....are you using brass ball valves with compression connections?....or did you install them on the bottom of the risers?

this is where pictures and thousands of words intersect ;)

Manfred....your English is great....my compliments....

Edited by Rusty, 04 December 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#9 Manfred65

Manfred65

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

@Rusty. Thanks a lot for your compliment Some years at school 30 years ago, 20 years coach driving all over europe, then add

"google-Translator and a little brain on fine-tuning. Thats it!

I agree with you: Picture say more than 1000 words!

#10 Spike38

Spike38

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:59 AM

flow valve.jpg  Hello,

I will post pictures when I mount the camper back on my truck. Just can not get pictures where it is stored. Sorry you are working your brain overtime. Yes pictures would be great.

As for the valves they are Parker 1/4" F400B. plumbed to each cylinder line controls flow up to 8gpm and 2000psi.  Very similar to the two control valve my camper came with. 

Manfred The last clearance I spoke of is so I have some clearance between my overhead section of the camper and my cab roof. .

Edited by Spike38, 06 December 2013 - 02:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users