Henricksen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

Hi there Alaskan owners,

I just joined this forum and am enjoying getting caught up on the posts from back a few years.  Unless I missed some, I didn't see any related to something I am interested in exploring.  And that is putting a 2006 10 foot cabover Alaskan camper on a trailer and hauling it with my pickup or other vehicle capable of doing it.  What is driving me to thinking about this is:  1)  being able to unhook and setting up at a camp site and then leave to explore with vechicle; 2)  the tailgate of my Dodge 3500 is 39 inches above the ground, posing at our age a potentially precarious travel up and down our steps;  3) no longer wishing to put on and take off camper but would like to leave it ready to go and just hook up and leave.

Anyone done this? or thinking of doing it? or have thought about it and dismissed the idea is ridiculous?

Any comments welcome and thanks,

Henricksen

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,619 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

Why not a travel trailer? There are low profile models. Probably far less hassle than a camper on a trailer.

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 24 January 2014 - 12:51 AM.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

It's up to you, but a travel trailer can make a better base camp for what you describe. You get more room, better plumbing, and more comfortable beds. For wandering around and camping wherever you feel like it, the camper on the truck is the way to go.

Mounting scissor steps can make a big difference in getting into and out of the camper on the truck. It sounds like you have enough truck for the Alaskan. Using a 4 step scissor step might make it safer for you to use the camper in the bed of the truck. Doesn't get around the mounting/unmounting hassle with the camper and doesn't make it ready to hitch up and go, but the steps do make the entry/exit from the camper easier and safer.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#4 Mike S.

Mike S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationHope, B.C.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:38 AM

I too have thought of doing this, even have the trailer to do it with.  I would like to be able to move it around the yard as well.  I think it would be a great use of your Alaskan when it gets difficult to load and unload.  The wind resistance would still be quite low and probably would not change your fuel milage by much.

I used to have trouble loading and unloading my Alaskan. then I made new saw horses for it to sit on.  They are about 2" higher than the truck bed I put the back one under first leaving the front sitting on the truck.  Being a 10' there is room under the back without moving the camper.  When the back is firmly on the rear sawhorse I jake up the front and move the truck ahead enought that the front is still under the truck bed,  then I slide the front sawhorse under they camper about 3/4 of the way back then I move the truck the rest of the way out.  By doing it this way the camper is always secure to the ground and not possible to move like it does on the jacks.  I am 73 and load and unload by myself with no problems.  I also use my Alaskan more than 100 days a year.

99 Dodge 2500 4x4 Diesel, 94 CO Alaskan 10', 10 ply BFGs Air bags,  VE7YHE

#5 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

You can even buy hand rails for the scissor steps now.

http://www.etrailer....rophy/AHR5.html

2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

I know that I've posted the pic before, just don't recall where.....

I saw it later, the FSB parked there is the tow rig. Wasn't too impressed with that trailer's tongue.

IMG_0758-1.jpg

Edited by ntsqd, 24 January 2014 - 05:03 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 Henricksen

Henricksen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Why not a travel trailer? There are low profile models. Probably far less hassle than a camper on a trailer.

Yes, that thought has been in our options also.  Perhaps an A-Frame type trailer unit. We really like our Alaskan and hate to sell it, also since it is all paid for.  So as we get older we are trying to adapt it somehow to fit into our older years. Actually, the Alaskan on a trailer does sound like a lot of humbug not to mention to additional cost.

Thanks for your reply

#8 Henricksen

Henricksen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

It's up to you, but a travel trailer can make a better base camp for what you describe. You get more room, better plumbing, and more comfortable beds. For wandering around and camping wherever you feel like it, the camper on the truck is the way to go.

Mounting scissor steps can make a big difference in getting into and out of the camper on the truck. It sounds like you have enough truck for the Alaskan. Using a 4 step scissor step might make it safer for you to use the camper in the bed of the truck. Doesn't get around the mounting/unmounting hassle with the camper and doesn't make it ready to hitch up and go, but the steps do make the entry/exit from the camper easier and safer.

I don't get at all enthused about hauling a trailer with the Alaskan on it.  But we are determined to continue camping around here in Northern NM, Southern CO, and such places. Whenever we walk into the Alaskan, it feels just like home. So whatever we do, we can't make it harder for us. I am looking for a handrail for our 24 inch 5 step scissor stairs.

Thanks for your reply

#9 Henricksen

Henricksen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

I too have thought of doing this, even have the trailer to do it with.  I would like to be able to move it around the yard as well.  I think it would be a great use of your Alaskan when it gets difficult to load and unload.  The wind resistance would still be quite low and probably would not change your fuel milage by much.

I used to have trouble loading and unloading my Alaskan. then I made new saw horses for it to sit on.  They are about 2" higher than the truck bed I put the back one under first leaving the front sitting on the truck.  Being a 10' there is room under the back without moving the camper.  When the back is firmly on the rear sawhorse I jake up the front and move the truck ahead enought that the front is still under the truck bed,  then I slide the front sawhorse under they camper about 3/4 of the way back then I move the truck the rest of the way out.  By doing it this way the camper is always secure to the ground and not possible to move like it does on the jacks.  I am 73 and load and unload by myself with no problems.  I also use my Alaskan more than 100 days a year.

I think that sounds like a very helpful idea.  I would remove my tailgate to allow the back saw horse to slip under.  I don't think I really need the tailgate on anyway. For my jacks I could get an attachment for my drill to fit on the jack I have and turn it instead of using the handcrank to raise and lower it. My wife and I are 66 and she has anxieties about the process but these modifications might just ease that.

Thank you for the response.

#10 Henricksen

Henricksen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

You can even buy hand rails for the scissor steps now.

http://www.etrailer....rophy/AHR5.html

I checked it out and it looks really suited for us with our 24 inch 5 step scissors stairs from "Step-up Products" in Eugene, OR.  I will just have to make some double checks.

Thanks very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users