• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

Finally got around to installing the stove igniter in my Hawk, just about $20.00 at Walmart

sml_gallery_1903_712_37128.jpg

After measuring and remeasuring install took less that two hours including making the brackets.

sml_gallery_1903_712_23927.jpg

sml_gallery_1903_712_18012.jpg

Just enough room between the valves to fit the igniter module. 

sml_gallery_1903_712_11279.jpg

All done

sml_gallery_1903_712_50772.jpg

See it work here. The wife is going to like this.

Edited by billharr, 26 May 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#2 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:23 PM

Thanks Bill, you just gave me another project to do....will it ever end. :o)  Now, where does one get such a find device?

Very nice job!

#3 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

Got it!  Wal-Mart....

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Hi Bill,

I bought the ignitor a while back but haven't done the mod yet because of needing to build something to attach the ignitor to. Your photos really help so now I can go ahead with this. I have noticed on this stove that the area by the knobs gets hot while in use. This is where you installed the starter button. I like the idea of not drilling a new hole in the cabinet for the starter button, but wonder if the heat could be a problem. Why did you mount it where you did?

Thanks, Ted

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hi Bill,

I bought the ignitor a while back but haven't done the mod yet because of needing to build something to attach the ignitor to. Your photos really help so now I can go ahead with this. I have noticed on this stove that the area by the knobs gets hot while in use. This is where you installed the starter button. I like the idea of not drilling a new hole in the cabinet for the starter button, but wonder if the heat could be a problem. Why did you mount it where you did?

Thanks, Ted

Because it fit, just not a lot of places on the stove when the module would fit. I did not think about heat there. I will have to see if the heat is a problem, will post up if it is. 

I had though about building some style of switch that would close a contact when the knob was turned to "light".  I did not have a switch small enough to fit and buying two would cost as much or more than the ignitor. Also would have to make a battery pack and solder the contacts in the module with wires to the switches.  Gave the wife options and she said a button would work. 

Ted I used a panel punch to make the hole so the area would be flat and clean. If you do this put the cutter on the top. I had it on the bottom and the label pulled and wrinkled. Minor but if you look close you can see it. 

Panel punch

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAkG6UnOzg-LQ0uNuIneP

Edit: My module did not have a ground wire in the package. I used the wire for the short ignitor, cut and put a connector on it. I was able to use the screws that were on the stove and did not have to drill any holes. Only hole is the one for the button.

Edited by billharr, 28 May 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,315 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:22 AM

Hi Bill,

Thanks, Ted

Ted when I installed mine a few years ago,I just drilled a hole in the cabinet face ,in my case next to the battery/water monitor.

No need to drill into the stove and I didn't even think about a heat problem but no need the button is away from the stove top.

Works great most of the time.

It seems though when in cold temps the stove is harder to ignite. Seems strange haven't figured that one out yet.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Frank. I did this mod in our previous camper and always thought it was one of the best mods we did. No more messing with matches or lighters. On that one we did the button install in the cabinet and I figured I would do the same this time. But when Bill posted we couldn't help but notice his button placement. Mrs. Ted isn't exactly thrilled when I am drilling holes in the cabinets, especially in our new camper. So the option was something I had not considered. I don't have a panel punch, though, so may just stick with Plan A and put the button on the cabinet.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,315 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:07 PM

Thanks Frank. I did this mod in our previous camper and always thought it was one of the best mods we did. No more messing with matches or lighters. On that one we did the button install in the cabinet and I figured I would do the same this time. But when Bill posted we couldn't help but notice his button placement. Mrs. Ted isn't exactly thrilled when I am drilling holes in the cabinets, especially in our new camper. So the option was something I had not considered. I don't have a panel punch, though, so may just stick with Plan A and put the button on the cabinet.

I don't know why the  igniters aren't offered from the factory as standard or options.

Seems like a no-brainer.

Oh well,we just do it ourselves.

One of the best mods after the lifting struts.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 COBlue

COBlue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

TED,

You don't need a panel punch;  a step drill bit worked for me to drill into the front panel of my Atwood stove.

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,037 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

Its such a great mod it does make you wonder why the stove doesn't come with it. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users