• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 TravisandMarla

TravisandMarla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

OK, lets say you could do it all over again, purchase a new truck. Would you go with the same decision you made or do you wish you had purchased something else? We have been looking for a hawk for our 1500 dodge, small
V8, quad cab, regular bed but lately we have been thinking of a new truck. Our dodge has over 100,000 and even though it runs great, timing is right for us to purchase something new, something we will keep for a long time. We want to be able to tow our 16' Casita in addition to having the fourwheel on as a daily driver. Also someday we may upgrade to a slightly larger pull trailer say a 20-24 ft. All of this and get the best mpg as we can AND yes, money is a consideration. What would you choose and Why?

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:02 AM

I really liked my F150/Hawk combo. The FX4 package on the 150 provided adequately stiff suspension for the weight of the camper and it did great as a stock setup - even on some occasional off-roading.

In 2009 the F150 is supposed to be offered with a diesel which should improve the mileage a fair amount. I'm not sure if that is the ultimate truck for the price, but I sure am interested in checking it out.

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:48 AM

I've been very happy with the Dodge. The CTD has been problem free. I would go with the long bed if I had it to over again.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:55 PM

I was in the same situation about a year ago. I knew I was going to be getting either a new ATC, Alaskan or 4 Wheel camper in the near future and was also contemplating a new 4X4 truck. Even though the present one was in good shape and running fine the thought of dumping $$$ into a ten year old truck down the line didn't make sense. During the decision making process I determined what my immediate needs/use's were as well as what I wanted out of my Rig in the future. I like to camp off the beaten path, so wheel base was a concern. I also wanted a 500 mile range on a tank of fuel, as well as good low end Torque so a Diesle was a must have. I also concluded that the Camper would stay on at least six plus months out of the year, so having a beefy suspension was also a must. I started to shop around and soon found out that what I was looking for was a rear breed, and the big three, Ford, Dodge and GMC told me I would have to order one to get it just the way I wanted. So in Oct. of 2006 I was able to get in on the last of the orders for a 2007 year model since Ford was already gearing up for production of their 2008 model. In the end this is what I ended up with. "2007" F350 Diesle 4x4 Std. Cab. Torqueshift 5-spd. Trans, 3.73 Limited Slip Axle, 11100# GVWR Pkg., Full Pwr. and Air less electric windows and locks, Tow Command system, Carpet delete, Split Bench Seat, Engine Block Heater, Manual Transfer Case, Skid Plates and a few other minor options. When I took delivery in Jan. of 2007 the truck was just the way I ordered it with one exception. Ford had built it with their ESOF instead of the manual transfer case. Well needless to say I wasn't going to take it unless they were going to give me a sweet heart of a deal. At this point I knew I had the dealer by the B...s since this was not the type of truck they would ever order for their dealership. In the end I was able to get it for $7000.00 less than the build order which put the cost of the truck at dealer cost. Shortly after taking delivery I also added a dr leveling kit which consisted of a new set of progressive springs, shocks to match and a camber alignment kit. I took ownership of my new ATC Cougar Camper in April and thus far I could't be happier with this combination. To date the camper has not come off once due to the fact that the truck doesn't even know it is there. What really helped me out in choosing this combination was taking the time to realisticly determine what my true uses's would be. Up and coming mods include a Buckstop Bumper and 12000 lb. Warn Winch and a ARB front Air Locker. Have fun in making your choices.

Marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#5 TravisandMarla

TravisandMarla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

That sounds like something we might do because we don't need or really want some of the extra's they put on trucks you see at the dealership. They looked on the computer (at toyota dealership) and found a truck that was close to what we wanted and only in white. We don't have to have power windows, locks or carpet but what we do need is a truck that will work for us and our changing need for many years to come. Thanks for the info

#6 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

I had my Hawk on a '99 Dodge 4x4 with the big V-8 engine. It worked well, but the Dodge definitely knew the camper was on it, especially going up hill at highway speeds (well actually less than highway speeds by the time I got to the top of a long grade). Although the small V-8 produces about the same horse power as the big one, it produces less torque, and for off road driving (to get to the kinds of places I like to camp) I don't think the small V-8 would have been confortable. Also, the Dodge was near it's weight limit, so it didn't have any reserve for towing.

I would probably still have the Hawk on the Dodge except that I got a great deal on a used Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 diesel (it helps to have a friend who bought 6 new trucks from the dealer in the last 18 months for his business). Like Marc's Ford, the Silverado doesn't even know the camper is back there. It rarely down shifts going up hill and it handles very well - it feels so much safer than the Dodge did. I haven't towed with it yet, but I think it will pull just about any trailer I would want.

My advice is to buy a truck that has some reserve capacity over what you think it will need. I would rather have the power and payload capacity and not use it, then to need it, but not have it.

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:51 PM

Yeah, my truck doesnt know the camper is back there either. Driving my Jeep as I do, I thought a short wheel base truck would fit my off roads needs better. Now that I see what I actually do with truck I realize the extra wheelbase of a long bed wouldn't but very rarely, interfere with where I take it offroad.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:01 AM

When I bought my present truck, an 04 Tundra double cab, a diesel was my other choice. Wife didn't like the noise. I think I would have been happy with the diesel, but I love the Tundra.

A couple of you guys made the comment that you don't want electric door locks or windows. Well..... I love'em! On a nice day I can sit in my seat and drop 5 windows (the 04-06 Tundra has a full size electric rear window. 07's don't) and let the climate in. Then close them when I get to where I'm going. AC is a last resort! Dog need some sniffing time? No problem, drop her window. Done? Put it up. On my Tundra, I only install the Hawk for trips, the rest of the time I run with a cap. I had electric locks installed on the tailgate and on the door of the cap. Click everything is open. click, everything locked. I keep the ignition key in my pocket and the lock remote hanging from my belt. If keeping your vehicle locked up isn't an issue, then electric locks wouldn't be that useful. Electric windows and locks are really reliable these days. At least as much as other stuff on your truck which will get you parked if it doesn't work.

Enjoy the new trucks.

#9 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:12 AM

I love the setup I have now - the best part being the Cummins engine. It's gotten me spoiled and I would never go back to a gas powered truck.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#10 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:55 PM

This is an important thread for me. Thanks Travis and Marla for starting it, and thanks to all for your inputs.

I drive a 1998 F-150 4x4 with the small V-8. It gets 11-1/2 mpg and doesn't have much power.

I am now in the process of building a mobile cabinet shop, which will overtax the truck's capabilities even further.

Diesel is about 15% more expensive than gasoline currently in Houston, and a premium is charged for diesel engines, but it still appears the way to go.

BTW, I would probably be looking for a used, not a new, truck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users