• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 MANXMAN

MANXMAN

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

Took the long drive down to ATC and placed an order for a custom flatbed camper shell for my Tacoma. After many sketches of floor plans I built a full size mock-up of the one that suited my wife and I the best. The design only needed a few minor changes and we were ready to go ahead with it.

Dealing with Jeff at ATC has been great. Phone calls, e-mails and the visit to ATC's shop went well. After a couple of hours going over all the things we wanted incorporated into the shell, we left the shop with complete confidence our camper will be built with care and to the very high standards they are known for.

With a completion date of approximately Sept 1st, I have plenty of time to upgrade the suspension and tires on the truck and to get the flat deck fabricated. Once the shell is home, I will put it in my shop and enjoy doing the interior build during the winter.

After 30 plus years of exploring the western states and provinces on back packing trips, canoe trips and on dual sport motorcycles, the camper is going to be quite a change. We are really looking forward to 2015 with the truck and camper combination and will share some of our trips here on WTW.

Seeing as ATC calls its campers cat names, we have decided to call this one the "Manx" which seems only fitting for a Manxman.  :)

2014 F150 S/C V8 4X4
2014 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

2017 F350 S/C V8 4X4

2017 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

................................... we left the shop with complete confidence our camper will be built with care and to the very high standards they are known for.

Congrats on your new camper! Looking forward to pictures and reports! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Welcome to WTW Manxman. Congrats on your purchase. Flatbeds are becoming more popular but haven't seen many yet so really looking forward to seeing how yours comes together.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

Congrats on your new camper! Looking forward to pictures and reports! :)

Welcome to WTW Manxman. Congrats on your purchase. Flatbeds are becoming more popular but haven't seen many yet so really looking forward to seeing how yours comes together.

x2 on these comments! :)

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#5 MANXMAN

MANXMAN

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for the welcome. 

Ever since I saw the flat deck truck campers in Australia, I wanted one. It is more work to get the truck ready but in the end, I believe it will be worth it for me. 

Here is a couple pictures of the mock-up. It has a rear door entry and the lay out is very much like a conventional truck camper. 

Looking at it from the front.

http://manxman.smugm...i-hPFdkv9-M.jpg

Looking from the rear.

http://manxman.smugm...i-sNnj5gH-M.jpg

2014 F150 S/C V8 4X4

2017 F350 S/C V8 4X4

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

You sure are putting a lot of great thought into your build.

Can't wait to see the finished camper.

Knowing Marty and crew are building the shell I know you will get a great platform to start work from.

Oh,welcome to the "cult"

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 MANXMAN

MANXMAN

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

Got word that my camper build starts today so it will be finished for our requested pick up date of Sept. 2nd. 

The guys at ATC are certainly true to their word.

If anyone happens to be at ATC in the next three weeks, let me know how it's looking. Or better yet, maybe a picture or two. :D

2014 F150 S/C V8 4X4

2017 F350 S/C V8 4X4

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:11 AM

Took the long drive down to ATC and placed an order for a custom flatbed camper shell for my Tacoma. After many sketches of floor plans I built a full size mock-up of the one that suited my wife and I the best. The design only needed a few minor changes and we were ready to go ahead with it.

Dealing with Jeff at ATC has been great. Phone calls, e-mails and the visit to ATC's shop went well. After a couple of hours going over all the things we wanted incorporated into the shell, we left the shop with complete confidence our camper will be built with care and to the very high standards they are known for.

With a completion date of approximately Sept 1st, I have plenty of time to upgrade the suspension and tires on the truck and to get the flat deck fabricated. Once the shell is home, I will put it in my shop and enjoy doing the interior build during the winter.

After 30 plus years of exploring the western states and provinces on back packing trips, canoe trips and on dual sport motorcycles, the camper is going to be quite a change. We are really looking forward to 2015 with the truck and camper combination and will share some of our trips here on WTW.

Seeing as ATC calls its campers cat names, we have decided to call this one the "Manx" which seems only fitting for a Manxman.  :)

I'm intrigued with a flatbed design and ATC has done good work in this area.  I'm looking forward to your build thread and finished product.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#9 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

Manxman, Stopped by ATC today and saw your camper under construction. Jeff was working on it and it's looking good. Didn't have a camera with me or would have taken a picture. I get by almost weekly, so next time I'll try to remember to bring a camera. 

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:27 AM

This story is getting more exciting! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users